Can the Difficult Double Integral Be Simplified with Approximate Functions?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a complex integral that gives the C.D.F. of a specific domain, using polar coordinates and simplifying the integrand. The person seeking help has tried using different coordinates but has not found a solution yet and is considering just using a numerical solution.
Jeff.Nevington
Here is the beast
[tex]\iint_{(ax+\mu _{1})^{2}+(bx+cy+\mu _{2})^{2}\leqslant z}\frac{1}{2\pi \sigma ^{2}}e^{-(\frac{1}{2\sigma ^{2}})(x^{2}+y^{2})}dxdy[/tex]

The integral gives the C.D.F. of [itex](ax+\mu _{1})^{2}+(bx+cy+\mu _{2})^{2}\leqslant z[/itex] where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are identically distributed gaussian random variables with zero mean and unit variance.

The integrand can be easily evaluated with polar coordinates over the less complex domain [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}\leqslant z[/itex] (In this case it becomes chi-square with two degrees of freedom). I am quite certain however that over the ellipse-shaped domain that I require, there is no analytical solution. On the other hand it would greatly speed up the numerical solution if I could just get rid of one of the integrals and/or solve in terms of approximate functions like ERF and Bessel of the first kind.

Any ideas? Anyone seen anything similar to this before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use coordinates matching the boundaries:
x'=ax+m1 and y'=bx+cy+m2
This will likely make your work easier.

Thanks for the reply maajdl,

I altered the coordinates in this way as you suggested before and I didn't feel any closer to a solution, the integrand became a massive long mess and I couldn't simplify it. If I find my notes I will post it up (took me a while to re-arrange it).

I think for now I will admit defeat on this. It doesn't take so long to evaluate numerically for its purpose.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Related to Can the Difficult Double Integral Be Simplified with Approximate Functions?

1. What is a difficult double integral?

A difficult double integral is a type of mathematical integration problem that involves solving for the area under a two-dimensional curve or surface. It is considered difficult because it often requires advanced techniques and multiple steps to solve.

2. How is a difficult double integral different from a regular integral?

A difficult double integral differs from a regular integral in that it involves multiple variables and a two-dimensional region, while a regular integral only involves one variable and a one-dimensional region. This makes it more complex and challenging to solve.

3. What are some common techniques for solving difficult double integrals?

Some common techniques for solving difficult double integrals include using the substitution method, integrating in polar coordinates, and using the properties of symmetry and odd/even functions. It may also be helpful to break the integral into smaller parts and use the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. When should I use a numerical method to solve a difficult double integral?

If a difficult double integral cannot be solved using traditional methods, a numerical method may be used. This involves approximating the value of the integral using numerical techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. It is typically used when the integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

5. How can I check if my solution to a difficult double integral is correct?

To check the correctness of a solution to a difficult double integral, you can use the properties of integrals, such as the linearity property and the fundamental theorem of calculus. Additionally, you can use software or online calculators to verify the solution or compare it with other known solutions.