Can the Sequence \( a_n \) Satisfy the Inequality \( a_n \leq 20n \)?

In summary, the Induction Inequality Question is a mathematical problem used in proofs to show that a statement is true for all values of a variable. It can only be solved for certain types of inequalities, such as those involving natural numbers. Some examples of its use in mathematics include the proof of the sum of the first n natural numbers and the binomial theorem. Tips for solving the Induction Inequality Question include carefully examining the given inequality, starting with a specific value of the variable, and using specific examples or counterexamples.
t.kirschner99

Homework Statement

a0 = 0, and for n > 0, $$a_n = a_{\frac {n} {5}} + a_{\frac {3n} {5}} + n $$

For the above equation, besides an, the subscripts are floored

Prove that an ≤ 20n

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do the question, my problem is starting it. It's strong induction vs. induction. I am leaning towards strong induction due to the first equation having multiple conditions. I would assume that my base case then would be n=0 and n=1

Physics news on Phys.org
Cannot edit my solution attempt, ignore what I put there.

Questioning myself on strong induction, but I committed to it.

Base case of 0 and 1 are good.

Inductive Hypothesis: $$ a_k \leq 20k $$

Proof:

Want to prove $$a_{k+1} \leq 20(k+1) $$

$$a_{k+1} = a_{\frac {k+1} {5}} + a_{\frac {3k+3} {5}}+ k + 1 $$

I am getting stuck at this point, don't really know where to go from here. The floors of the subscripts are what is confusing me

Last edited:
t.kirschner99 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that an ≤ 20n
Are you sure that this is true?

I recommend you look at it this way:
##a_k = a_{\left\lfloor \frac{k}{5} \right\rfloor} +a_{\left\lfloor \frac{3k}{5} \right\rfloor} + k##
assume
##a_k \leq 20k ##
Then show that
##a_{k+1} \leq a_k + 20 \leq 20(k+1).##

t.kirschner99 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that an ≤ 20n

Homework Equations

See above.

I know how to do the question, my problem is starting it. It's strong induction vs. induction. I am leaning towards strong induction due to the first equation having multiple conditions. I would assume that my base case then would be n=0 and n=1

Hint: besides the suggestion in #4, you should remember that ##\lfloor x/5 \rfloor## increases by 1 when ##x## passes through integers of the form ## 5n## and ##\lfloor 3x/5 \rfloor## increses by 1 when ##x## passes through integers of the form ##5n/3##.

RUber said:
assume
##a_k \leq 20k ##
you mean, assume an≤20n ∀ n≤k, right?
(Seems to me the factor 20 specified is unnecessarily large. It could have been set at 5.)

haruspex said:
you mean, assume an≤20n ∀ n≤k, right?
That's exactly what I meant. It has to be true for all the terms up to and including the current one, then you can inductively prove it for the next one ##a_{k+1}##.

If the floor function is confusing, sometimes you can just get rid of it.
Remember that the floor function is always less than what is applied to.
##\lfloor 12/5 \rfloor \leq 12/5 ##
So if ## a_n \leq 20n \forall n\leq k ##, then you can say that ## a_{k/5} \leq 20(k/5) ## dropping the floor part out.

In doing this, although not the most refined technique, you can eliminate what was confusing you. Then you have an algebraic proof. You will end up needing to satisfy some condition for a minimum number that k has to be greater than. Smaller terms you can demonstrate explicitly.

Related to Can the Sequence \( a_n \) Satisfy the Inequality \( a_n \leq 20n \)?

1. What is the Induction Inequality Question?

The Induction Inequality Question is a mathematical problem that asks whether a certain inequality holds true for all natural numbers. It is often used in mathematical induction proofs to show that a statement is true for all values of a variable.

2. How is the Induction Inequality Question used in mathematical proofs?

The Induction Inequality Question is used in mathematical proofs as a way to show that a statement is true for all values of a variable. It is typically used in conjunction with the principle of mathematical induction, which states that if a statement is true for a specific value of a variable, and if that statement is also true for the next value of that variable, then it is true for all subsequent values of that variable.

3. Can the Induction Inequality Question be solved for any inequality?

No, the Induction Inequality Question can only be solved for certain types of inequalities. It is typically used for inequalities involving natural numbers, but can also be applied to other types of numbers such as integers or real numbers.

4. What are some examples of the Induction Inequality Question being used in mathematics?

One example is the proof of the sum of the first n natural numbers, where the inequality is n(n+1)/2 < (n+1)(n+2)/2. Another example is the proof of the binomial theorem, where the inequality is (1+x)^n < 1 + nx + (n(n-1)/2)x^2 for x > -1 and n ≥ 0.

5. Are there any tips for solving the Induction Inequality Question?

One tip for solving the Induction Inequality Question is to carefully examine the given inequality and look for patterns or relationships between the terms. It can also be helpful to start with a specific value of the variable and then try to prove the inequality for the next value. Additionally, using specific examples or counterexamples can be useful in understanding the problem and finding a solution.