Can the Set of Rational Numbers Be Counted? And the Irrational Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the countability of the set of rational numbers (Q) and the uncountability of the set of irrational numbers. The approach for proving countability involves showing that Q is a union of two countable sets, while the approach for proving uncountability involves setting up a one-to-one map between Q and Z and showing that no such map exists for R-Q.
dabdobber
I need help with this math problem:

Show that the set of rational numbers, Q, is countable.

and

Show that the set of irrational numbers is uncountable.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about cardinality already? Are there any theorems you've seen that might be useful?
What did you try already??

well as far as the first one goes I know that the set of integers Z is a subset of Q and that Z is countable. now I make B as the set of all non-integral rational numbers.

if B is countable, then Q is countable because a union of two countable sets is countable.
that's my approach, but I'm not much of an example person.

and for the second one I'm thinking that I can show the union of the reals IR with the irrational, thus making them uncountable as well?

1) try and set up a 1:1 map between Q and Z
2) show that no such map exists for R-Q

Yes, the set of rational numbers, Q, can be counted. This is because the rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, and there is a finite number of possible combinations of integers. This means that each rational number can be assigned a unique position in a counting sequence, and thus the set of rational numbers is countable.

To show that the set of irrational numbers is uncountable, we can use a proof by contradiction. Suppose that the set of irrational numbers is countable. This would mean that there exists a counting sequence that includes all the irrational numbers. However, we know that the set of irrational numbers is infinite and uncountable, meaning that there would always be an irrational number missing from the counting sequence. This contradicts our initial assumption that the set of irrational numbers is countable. Therefore, we can conclude that the set of irrational numbers is uncountable.

Related to Can the Set of Rational Numbers Be Counted? And the Irrational Numbers?

1. What is cardinality?

Cardinality is the term used to describe the size or number of elements in a set. It is a measure of the quantity or magnitude of a set.

2. How is cardinality different from counting?

Counting refers to the act of physically or mentally enumerating the elements in a set, while cardinality is a mathematical concept that represents the total number of elements in a set.

3. What is the difference between finite and infinite cardinality?

A set with a finite cardinality has a specific and countable number of elements, while a set with an infinite cardinality has an uncountable number of elements.

4. How do you determine the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set can be determined by counting all the distinct elements in the set. For finite sets, the cardinality is equal to the number of elements. For infinite sets, cardinality can be determined using mathematical techniques such as set theory and calculus.

5. What is the concept of one-to-one correspondence in cardinality?

One-to-one correspondence is a concept used to compare the size of two sets by matching each element in one set with a unique element in the other set. If all elements in both sets can be paired up in this way, then the sets have the same cardinality.