Can the Z-transform be used for both continuous and discrete functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Z-transform and the difference between sampling a continuous function and a discrete function. The main question is about the notation and whether the two different series can be assigned the same symbol E(z). It is mentioned that this issue is important in digital signal processing and can be encountered later in the course. The conclusion is that the two series are not generally equal.
milesyoung
Hi,

I'm currently studying some introductory discrete control theory and I've run into a problem with the Z-transform, although I could pose the same question regarding the Laplace transform. I know I'm completely off with this question but I've just stared myself blind to it. Here goes:

I have some continuous function of time e(t) and I sample it to get the discrete function e(kT) where k = 0,1,2,... and T is the sample time. Thus:

[tex]
E(z) = \mathcal{Z}\left\{e(kT)\right\} = e(0T)z^{-0} + e(1T)z^{-1} + e(2T)z^{-2} + \ldots
[/tex]

Now, the discrete function e(k) would give me the following instead:

[tex]
E(z) = \mathcal{Z}\left\{e(k)\right\} = e(0)z^{-0} + e(1)z^{-1} + e(2)z^{-2} + \ldots
[/tex]

My question is then: I seem to be able to assign the same symbol E(z) to both series according to the definition of the Z-transform, but the two series are not generally equal. This is probably a semi-retarded question, but what am I missing here?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The sampled function is bandwidth-limited by the sampling rate and the Nyquist criterion.
A continuous function is not bandwidth limited in general.

Depending how far you have progressed through your course, you might not have met this issue yet, but will definitely meet it later on. It is one of the key issues using digital signal processing in practice, for any application.

I think my question more relates to some basic notation.

How can

[tex]
E(z) = \mathcal{Z}\left\{e(k)\right\}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
E(z) = \mathcal{Z}\left\{e(kT)\right\}
[/tex]

Wouldn't that imply that

[tex]
\mathcal{Z}\left\{e(k)\right\} = \mathcal{Z}\left\{e(kT)\right\}
[/tex]

But this is clearly not true in general.

FAQ: Can the Z-transform be used for both continuous and discrete functions?

1. What is the Z-transform?

The Z-transform is a mathematical tool used in digital signal processing to convert a discrete-time signal into a complex frequency-domain representation. It is similar to the Fourier transform, but is more suitable for analyzing discrete signals.

2. How is the Z-transform different from the Fourier transform?

The main difference between the two transforms is that the Z-transform operates on a discrete signal, while the Fourier transform operates on a continuous signal. Additionally, the Z-transform can be applied to both causal and non-causal signals, while the Fourier transform is only applicable to causal signals.

3. What is the purpose of using the Z-transform?

The Z-transform is used to analyze and manipulate discrete signals in the frequency domain. It allows for the representation of discrete signals in terms of complex numbers, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the frequency characteristics of a signal.

4. How is the Z-transform related to the Laplace transform?

The Z-transform is a discrete version of the Laplace transform. The Laplace transform is used for continuous signals, while the Z-transform is used for discrete signals. Both transforms have similar properties and can be used to analyze the frequency characteristics of signals.

5. What are some common applications of the Z-transform?

The Z-transform is commonly used in digital signal processing, communications, control systems, and image processing. It is also used in fields such as audio and video compression, speech recognition, and biomedical signal analysis.

Back