Can These Expressions Be Factored Correctly?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, the three questions cannot be factored because the expressions are irreducible over the integers.
mathdad
Factor the following three questions.

1. 4u^2 + 25v^2

I say this one cannot be factored because the expression is irreducible over the integers.

Right?

2. (81/4) - y^2

Let (81/4) = (9/2)(9/2).

So, (81/4) - y^2 factors out to be (9/2 - y)(9/2 + y).

Right?

3. 8a^3 + 27b^3 + 2a + 3b

I must apply the sum of cubes to the expression 8a^3 + 27b^3 as a first step, right?

If so, then a = 2^3 and b = 3^3 in the sum of cubes, right?

I did not ask for the problems to be solved. I simply want to know if my work is correct or not. If it is wrong, make the corrections and allow me to do the math.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. Correct.

2. Correct.

3. Yes, apply the sum of cubes formula to $8a^3+27b^3$. Be careful with your variable names. $a$ does not necessarily equal $2^3$. In another post you stated $a=(a+b)$. This is only true if $b=0$. Try choosing different letters for different variables. For example, you may be given to factor

$$125a^3-64b^3$$

Then write

$$p=5a$$ and $$q=4b$$

It makes no real difference what other letters you choose; these letters reflect given values no matter what they are.

It is entirely incorrect to state $a=5a$ and $b=4b$ in the context you are working in. At any rate, those two equations are only true if $a$ and $b$ are equal to $0$

Have you thought of learning $\LaTeX$? :)

greg1313 said:
1. Correct.

2. Correct.

3. Yes, apply the sum of cubes formula to $8a^3+27b^3$. Be careful with your variable names. $a$ does not necessarily equal $2^3$. In another post you stated $a=(a+b)$. This is only true if $b=0$. Try choosing different letters for different variables. For example, you may be given to factor

$$125a^3-64b^3$$

Then write

$$p=5a$$ and $$q=4b$$

It makes no real difference what other letters you choose; these letters reflect given values no matter what they are.

It is entirely incorrect to state $a=5a$ and $b=4b$ in the context you are working in. At any rate, those two equations are only true if $a$ and $b$ are equal to $0$

Have you thought of learning $\LaTeX$? :)

I do not have a computer. No time to learn LaTex. I will try to post pictures of my work for easy reading. Thank you for your help.

FAQ: Can These Expressions Be Factored Correctly?

1. Can all algebraic expressions be factored correctly?

Not all algebraic expressions can be factored correctly. Some expressions, such as prime numbers or perfect squares, cannot be factored further. However, for most expressions, there are techniques that can be used to factor them correctly.

2. How do I know if I have factored an expression correctly?

You can check if you have factored an expression correctly by multiplying the factors together and seeing if you get back to the original expression. Additionally, you can use the distributive property to expand the factored expression and see if it matches the original expression.

3. Are there specific rules or techniques for factoring different types of expressions?

Yes, there are specific rules and techniques for factoring different types of expressions. For example, there are different techniques for factoring quadratic expressions, polynomial expressions, and expressions with variables raised to different powers. It is important to familiarize yourself with these techniques to factor expressions correctly.

4. Can factoring expressions help me solve equations?

Yes, factoring expressions can help you solve equations. When an equation is in factored form, you can set each factor equal to zero and solve for the variable. This is particularly useful for solving quadratic equations, as factoring can often make them easier to solve.

5. Is it possible to factor expressions with variables or exponents?

Yes, it is possible to factor expressions with variables or exponents. In fact, factoring expressions with variables or exponents is often necessary in order to simplify or solve more complex equations. However, it may require the use of specific techniques, such as the difference of squares or grouping, to factor these types of expressions correctly.