Can Third Party Software Monitor Your Computer?

• Thread starter AbsoluteZer0
  • Start date
In summary, if your friend knows things about your computer that you don't, or if he is accessing your computer in an unusual way, it is possible that he has access to your files. There are ways to protect yourself, but it is up to you to take the necessary precautions.
AbsoluteZer0
Hi,

Is it possible for somebody to monitor the activity on your computer using third party software?
I have a friend who knows a lot of stuff about what's on my laptop (a macbook) that he has no way of knowing about.

I feel like he's hinting me about it. I showed him a picture once that I took from a guy's website (I sent him the link) and he asked if I got that photo from my desktop (I did have it on my laptop, but I didn't share him the photo through my computer, I sent him a link from a website.) He also once said "my watch is big." He doesn't even own a watch from what I remember. I interpreted "watch" as it relates to sight.

Is it possible that he has access to my files or am I just being insecure and paranoid? If he does have access to my files, are there any ways I can get his nose out of my laptop?

Thanks,

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes, it is quite possible, though unlikely.

He could have installed something on your system when you weren't looking...
He could have guessed the password on your wireless network...

How to stop it depends on how he got access.

But so far, your comments about what he seems to know about your laptop don't really raise any alarm bells for me.

If your OS is Windows, then get a firewall and see what traffic is going in and out of your system. Check for system services and make sure there is nothing fishy running in the background. Check for any executables that are running in the background that are suspicious.

If it's a stuxnet type thing, check your device drivers that are running (probably very unlikely of course).

The thing is that computers work on what they are programmed to do. If data is going in and out, your network traffic will indicate that. Turn off all the stuff that could be used in the wrong way, and make sure you know what you are doing if this is the case: don't do it if you don't know what you are doing because you could screw it up.

Also change your password and make sure crap like Remote Control for your PC is off as well. Check for other accounts on your PC besides your own login and get rid of them if they exist: (if a suspicious one exists, you know something is up).

I question your definition of friend.

If a machine truly is infected, the only sure way is to format and reinstall, unless you are absolutely sure you know you are doing. Once you get admin access on a machine, you can install anything, even software that can hide from firewalls and security software. Most stuff isn't that good, but you can never tell.

I define "absolutely sure" at minimum that you read memory dumps and stack traces and you can use a disassembler. In other words, if you are asking, then you format and reinstall. Morally, I feel that giving you any other advice would be wrong.

However, he's *probably* just pranking you.

I cannot make a definitive statement about your specific situation without further information. However, in general, it is possible for third party software to monitor activity on your computer if it has been installed without your knowledge or consent. This can happen through various means, such as malware or spyware.

If you are concerned about your friend having access to your files, there are steps you can take to protect your privacy. First, make sure your computer is secure by regularly updating your anti-virus and anti-malware software. You can also run a scan to check for any potential threats. Additionally, you can review your installed programs and remove any that you do not recognize.

It is also important to regularly change your passwords and use strong, unique passwords for different accounts. This can help prevent unauthorized access to your files.

If you are still concerned about your friend's behavior and believe they may have access to your files, you can speak to them directly and express your concerns. You can also seek help from a computer technician or IT professional to further investigate and secure your computer. It is always important to take steps to protect your privacy and security online.

Related to Can Third Party Software Monitor Your Computer?

1) Can third party software monitor my computer without my knowledge?

Yes, it is possible for third party software to monitor your computer without your knowledge. This can happen if you unintentionally download and install malicious software that has monitoring capabilities.

2) How can I protect my computer from third party software monitoring?

To protect your computer from third party software monitoring, it is important to download and install software from trusted sources. You can also regularly scan your computer for malware and use a reliable antivirus program.

3) Is it legal for third party software to monitor my computer?

In most cases, it is not legal for third party software to monitor your computer without your consent. However, there may be exceptions depending on your location and the type of monitoring being conducted. It is important to read the terms and conditions when downloading and installing software to understand what kind of monitoring may occur.

4) What kind of information can third party software monitor on my computer?

Third party software can monitor a wide range of information on your computer, including your internet activity, keyboard inputs, and even your webcam and microphone. This information can be used for various purposes such as targeted advertising or identity theft.

5) How can I check if there is third party software monitoring my computer?

You can use antivirus or anti-malware software to scan your computer for any potential monitoring software. You can also check your computer's task manager for any unfamiliar processes or programs that may be running in the background.