Can this inequality be proven under given conditions?

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the inequality $\frac{m!}{\lambda^{m+1}} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{\lambda^j}{j!} \leq \frac{2}{\sqrt{\lambda}}$ under the condition $m+1 < \lambda$. Various methods are proposed, such as using induction, the Incomplete Gamma Function, and a power series identity. The ultimate goal is to prove this inequality as part of a larger theorem.
klim
Hallo, could comeone help me to proof this inequality:

\(\displaystyle \frac{m!}{\lambda^{m+1}} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{\lambda^j}{j!} \leq \frac{2}{\sqrt{\lambda}} \).

under condition \(\displaystyle m+1 < \lambda \).

\(\displaystyle \lambda\) is real and \(\displaystyle m\) is integer.

Physics news on Phys.org
klim said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{m!}{\lambda^{m+1}} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{\lambda^j}{j!} \leq \frac{2}{\sqrt{\lambda}} \). under condition \(\displaystyle m+1 < \lambda \). \(\displaystyle \lambda\) is real and \(\displaystyle m\) is integer.

I suppose you mean $\lambda>0$ and $m \geq 0,$ otherwise the inequality has no sense. Use induction. For the inductive step, $$ \frac{(m+1)!}{\lambda^{m+2}} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m+1}\frac{\lambda^j}{j!}=\frac{m!}{\lambda^{m+1}}\cdot\frac{m+1}{\lambda}\left(\sum_{j=0}^{m}\frac{\lambda^j}{j!}+\frac{\lambda^{m+1}}{(m+1)!}\right)\\
\underbrace{\leq}_{\text{Hip. induc.} }\frac{m+1}{\lambda}\cdot \frac{2}{\sqrt{\lambda}}+\frac{(m+1)!}{\lambda^{m+2}}\cdot \frac{\lambda^{m+1}}{(m+1)!} $$ $$=\frac{m+1}{\lambda}\cdot \frac{2}{\sqrt{\lambda}}+\frac{1}{\lambda}\underbrace{\leq}_{\text{if }{}1+m<\lambda-1}\frac{\lambda-1}{\lambda}\cdot \frac{2}{\sqrt{\lambda}}+\frac{1}{\lambda}$$ $$=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\lambda}}\left(1-\frac{1}{\lambda}+\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\lambda}}\right).$$ Now, consider $f: (0,+\infty)\to \mathbb{R},\; f(\lambda)=1-\dfrac{1}{\lambda}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{\lambda}}.$ It is easy to prove that $f(\lambda)\leq \color{red}17/16$ for all $\lambda>0.$ As a consequence $$\frac{(m+1)!}{\lambda^{m+2}} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m+1}\frac{\lambda^j}{j!}\leq \frac{2}{\sqrt{\lambda}}\color{red}\cdot \frac{17}{16}\color{black}.\qquad\blacksquare$$

Last edited:
Fernando Revilla,
thank you very much for your answer . But your solution has an error an the end.
$f(\lambda)=1-\dfrac{1}{\lambda}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{\lambda}}$ is not always less OR equal ONE. For example: $\lambda=9$.
$f(\lambda)=f(9)=1-\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{2 \cdot 3}=1-\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{6}=\frac{19}{18} > 1$.
So, I think the last step is not correct!

klim said:
But your solution has an error an the end.
$f(\lambda)=1-\dfrac{1}{\lambda}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{\lambda}}$ is not always less OR equal ONE. For example: $\lambda=9$.
$f(\lambda)=f(9)=1-\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{2 \cdot 3}=1-\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{6}=\frac{19}{18} > 1$.
So, I think the last step is not correct!

Right, I had plotted $f(\lambda)=1-\dfrac{1}{\lambda}-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{\lambda}}$ instead. I'll try to find a better bound.

I can't get an adequate bound using the induction method. Have you covered the Incomplete Gamma Function? Then, you can try using $$\frac{m!}{\lambda^{m+1}}\sum_{j=0}^m\frac{\lambda^j}{j!}=\frac{e^{\lambda}\;\Gamma(m+1,\lambda)}{\lambda^{m+1}}.$$

Fernando Revilla said:
I can't get an adequate bound using the induction method. Have you covered the Incomplete Gamma Function? Then, you can try using $$\frac{m!}{\lambda^{m+1}}\sum_{j=0}^m\frac{\lambda^j}{j!}=\frac{e^{\lambda}\;\Gamma(m+1,\lambda)}{\lambda^{m+1}}.$$
is there any adaquate bound for Incomplete Gamma Function?

klim said:
is there any adaquate bound for Incomplete Gamma Function?

No, there isn't. But your problem is equivalent to prove that $$e^{\lambda}\;\Gamma(m+1,\lambda)\leq \frac{2\lambda^{m+1}}{\sqrt{\lambda}}\quad (m+1<\lambda).$$ Use the recurrence relation $\Gamma (a+1,x)=a\Gamma (a,x)+x^ae^{-x}$ to prove that $$e^{\lambda}\;\Gamma(m+2,\lambda)\leq \frac{2\lambda^{m+2}}{\sqrt{\lambda}}\quad (m+2<\lambda).$$

Last edited:
I have another idea, how to solve this.

We multiply both sides by $\sqrt{\lambda}$ and our aim now is to proof:
$ m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{\lambda^{-(m+\frac{1}{2}-j)}}{j!} \leq 2 $.
At the next step we define the function $f(x)=m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{x^{-(m+\frac{1}{2}-j)}}{j!} $ with $x > 0$.
It's clear, that derivative $f'(x) < 0$ for any \(\displaystyle x > 0\). So, to proof our initial inequality, it's enough to proof, that $f(m+1) \leq 2$.
For x=m+1 we have
$f(m+1)=m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{(m+1)^{-(m+\frac{1}{2}-j)}}{j!}=\sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{m!}{j! \cdot (m+1)^{(m+\frac{1}{2}-j)}}$.
But: Is it possible to proof: \(\displaystyle f(m+1) \leq 2\) for any integer $m \geq 0$ ?

Last edited:
Before reviewing your proposal, a previous question. What is the context of your problem?, examination? research?, ...

Fernando Revilla said:
Before reviewing your proposal, a previous question. What is the context of your problem?, examination? research?, ...

Diplom-Thesis!

klim said:
Diplom-Thesis!
Well, then surely is not an isolated problem. Perhaps you need it to prove another thing, perhaps the inequality is only a conjecture, etc. I haven't been able to prove it. Even using the Incomplete Gamma Function, I can't avoid the $17/16$ bound.

I'll try again, but I can't assure you anything.

Fernando Revilla said:
Well, then surely is not an isolated problem. Perhaps you need it to prove another thing, perhaps the inequality is only a conjecture, etc. I haven't been able to prove it. Even using the Incomplete Gamma Function, I can't avoid the $17/16$ bound.

I'll try again, but I can't assure you anything.

Right, it isn't an isolated problem. I have to proof one quite big theorem and a part of this proof is this inequality.

I have another idea, how could this theorem be proved.
We have to proof, that $ \frac{m!}{\lambda^{m+1}} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{\lambda^j}{j!} \leq \frac{2}{\sqrt \lambda} $ для $m+1 < \lambda $.

So we have:
$ \frac{m!}{\lambda^{m+1}} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{\lambda^j}{j!} \leq \frac{2}{\sqrt \lambda} \Leftrightarrow m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{\lambda^{j-m-\frac{1}{2}}}{j!} \leq 2 \Leftrightarrow m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{1}{\lambda^{m+\frac{1}{2}-j} \cdot j!} \leq 2 $.

Because of $ m+1 < \lambda $, it's enough to proof, that $ m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{1}{(m+1)^{m+\frac{1}{2}-j} \cdot j!} \leq 2 $.

Further: $ m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{(m+1)^{j-m-\frac{1}{2}}}{j!} = \frac{m!}{(m+1)^{m+\frac{1}{2}}} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{(m+1)^j}{j!}=\frac{m!}{(m+1)^{m+\frac{1}{2}}} \cdot e^{m+1} \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} e^{-(m+1)} \frac{(m+1)^j}{j!}$
$=\frac{m!}{(m+1)^{m+\frac{1}{2}}} \cdot e^{m+1} \cdot Po(m+1)([0,m]) $ Using the identity theorem of power series, we can proof, that $Po(m+1)([0,m])=\int_{(m+1)}^{\infty} \left( e^{-t} \cdot \frac{t^m}{m!} \right) dt $

In this way we get: $ m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{(m+1)^{j-m-\frac{1}{2}}}{j!} = \frac{m!}{(m+1)^{m+\frac{1}{2}}} \cdot e^{m+1} \cdot \int_{(m+1)}^{\infty} \left( e^{-t} \cdot \frac{t^m}{m!} \right) dt $.

After many calculations we get:
$ m! \cdot \sum_{j=0}^{m} \frac{(m+1)^{j-m-\frac{1}{2}}}{j!}=\frac{m!}{(m+1)^{m+\frac{1}{2}}} \cdot e^{m+1} \cdot Po(m+1)([0,m]) \leq$
$\leq \sqrt{m+1} \cdot \int_{1}^{\infty} exp \left( (1-t)-\frac{m(1-t)^2}{2} \right) dt $.

And the actual question:

Is it possible to proof. that $ \sqrt{m+1} \cdot \int_{1}^{\infty} exp \left( (1-t)-\frac{m(1-t)^2}{2} \right) dt \leq 2 $

If it is possible, then the proof is done!

FAQ: Can this inequality be proven under given conditions?

What is the purpose of proving an inequality?

The purpose of proving an inequality is to demonstrate that a certain relationship between two quantities is always true. This helps us understand the behavior of these quantities and make accurate predictions in various mathematical and scientific contexts.

What are the different types of inequalities?

There are three main types of inequalities: strict inequalities, non-strict inequalities, and compound inequalities. Strict inequalities use the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥ to show that one quantity is strictly greater than or less than another. Non-strict inequalities use the symbols ≤ or ≥ to show that one quantity is greater than or equal to or less than or equal to another. Compound inequalities combine two inequalities using the words "and" or "or".

What are the basic rules for proving an inequality?

There are three basic rules for proving an inequality: the addition rule, the subtraction rule, and the multiplication rule. The addition rule states that if a < b, then a + c < b + c. The subtraction rule states that if a < b, then a - c < b - c. The multiplication rule states that if a < b and c > 0, then ac < bc.

What are some common techniques used to prove an inequality?

Some common techniques used to prove an inequality include using algebraic manipulations, using the properties of inequalities, and using mathematical induction. Algebraic manipulations involve rearranging the terms in an inequality to make it easier to prove. The properties of inequalities, such as the addition, subtraction, and multiplication rules mentioned earlier, can also be used to prove an inequality. Mathematical induction involves proving that an inequality holds for a base case and then using that to prove that it holds for all subsequent cases.

How can proving an inequality be useful in real-world applications?

Proving an inequality can be useful in many real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and statistics. In economics, inequalities are used to model supply and demand, and prove the existence of market equilibrium. In physics, inequalities are used to describe the relationship between different physical quantities, such as force and acceleration. In statistics, inequalities are used to analyze and compare data sets, and make predictions about population parameters.

Back