Can This Logical Argument Prove 't' Given the Premises?

• Thread starter alexk307
  • Start date
In summary, to show that an argument is valid, we need to use basic logical rules and principles to prove that the conclusion follows logically from the premises.
alexk307

Homework Statement

For the given set of premises, show the following is a valid argument.

~rAs
q>r
pAs>t
pVq

therefore t

where > is the implication, A is and, and V is or.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I can convert the implications to or statements.
I used ~p>q and q>r with the hypothetical syllogism to make ~p>r

Also used pV~q and pVq to conclude p.

How should these types of problems be done? Should I convert them to and and or statements, or use mostly implications?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I am a scientist and would like to help you with your problem. To show that the given argument is valid, we need to use basic logical rules and principles.

First, let's break down the premises and the conclusion into logical statements using the given symbols:

1. ~rAs (not r and s)
2. q>r (q implies r)
3. pAs>t (p and s implies t)
4. pVq (p or q)
5. t (the conclusion)

To prove that this argument is valid, we need to show that the conclusion (t) follows logically from the premises. In other words, we need to show that if the premises are true, then the conclusion must also be true.

To do this, we can use a logical proof. Here is one possible way to prove the given argument:

1. ~rAs (premise)
2. q>r (premise)
3. pAs>t (premise)
4. pVq (premise)
5. ~r (from 1, using simplification)
6. ~rVq (from 5, using addition)
7. r>q (from 2, using contraposition)
8. ~r>p (from 7, using hypothetical syllogism)
9. ~r>pAs (from 8, using addition)
10. ~rAs>t (from 3 and 9, using hypothetical syllogism)
11. ~rAsV~rVq (from 1 and 6, using conjunction)
12. ~rAsVp (from 11 and 4, using disjunctive syllogism)
13. t (from 10 and 12, using disjunctive syllogism)

Therefore, we have shown that if the premises are true, then the conclusion (t) must also be true. This means that the given argument is valid.

In general, when solving logical problems like this, it is helpful to convert implications to equivalent statements using logical rules, such as contraposition and hypothetical syllogism. You can also use other logical rules, such as conjunction, disjunction, and negation, to manipulate the statements and come up with a valid argument.

I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to

Related to Can This Logical Argument Prove 't' Given the Premises?

What is a valid argument?

A valid argument is a logical reasoning process in which the conclusion logically follows from the premises. In other words, if the premises are true, then the conclusion must also be true. A valid argument does not necessarily mean that the conclusion is true, but rather that it is logically consistent with the premises.

What are premises in an argument?

Premises are statements or propositions that are used to support a conclusion in an argument. They are considered to be the evidence or reasons for accepting the conclusion. The strength of an argument depends on the strength of its premises. If the premises are weak or false, then the argument is considered to be weak or invalid.

How do you determine if an argument is valid?

To determine if an argument is valid, you must first assess the logical structure of the argument. This involves identifying the premises and the conclusion, and then determining if the conclusion logically follows from the premises. One way to do this is to use a truth table or a logical proof to test the validity of the argument.

What is the difference between a valid and sound argument?

A valid argument is one in which the conclusion logically follows from the premises, while a sound argument is both valid and has true premises. In other words, a sound argument is a valid argument with true premises, making the argument both logically valid and factually correct.

Can an argument be valid but not sound?

Yes, an argument can be valid but not sound. This means that while the conclusion logically follows from the premises, the premises themselves may not be true. In this case, the argument is considered to be valid in terms of logic, but not sound in terms of factual accuracy.