Can This Man Defy Gravity with His Insane Rock Climbing Skills?

• Thread starter Null_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses a video of a man named Dan Osman who was known for his extreme rock climbing and tightrope walking. The conversation expresses shock and amazement at his abilities and fear at the dangerous stunts he performs without a rope. Some commenters mention the irony of his death being caused by a rope accident.
Null_
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
and he's not afraid to wear pink shorts either!

That jump at 1:10 freaked me out.

The one at 0:18 got me

pergradus said:
and he's not afraid to wear pink shorts either!

:smile:

That was hard to watch...my heart rate is still recovering...

Without a rope Dan Osman == a dope, that is, if he is still with us.

Rhody...

A quick google search proved my prediction for him, sadly correct, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Osman"

Dan Osman (February 11, 1963 – November 23, 1998) RIP Dan... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Without a rope Dan Osman == a dope, that is, if he is still with us.

Rhody...

A quick google search proved my prediction for him, sadly correct, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Osman"

Sadly expected. I was browsing Youtube and knew nothing about him.

speed=1/safety

rhody said:

Makes the thread title somewhat ironic...

I also find it such that he dies in an accident where the rope was the cause, given what he does in the video.

It's not the fall.

It's the abrupt stop at the end that you have to avoid.

I am an amateur rock climber...and this guy is a legend. He does a lot of tightrope walking and stuff too.

Related to Can This Man Defy Gravity with His Insane Rock Climbing Skills?

1. How is it possible for a person to defy gravity?

While it may seem impossible, there are a few factors at play that allow a person to appear to defy gravity. First, it is important to note that gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, but it is not a constant force. The strength of gravity decreases as an object's distance from the Earth increases. So, in theory, if a person is able to generate enough force to counteract the pull of gravity, they can appear to be floating or defying gravity.

2. Is this feat of defying gravity dangerous for the person performing it?

It can be dangerous if not done properly. The person must have a deep understanding of physics and be able to generate enough force to counteract the pull of gravity. If they are unable to do so, they could potentially fall and injure themselves. Additionally, performing this feat without proper training and equipment could lead to serious injuries or even death.

3. What kind of training or preparation is required for a person to be able to defy gravity?

To perform this feat safely, a person would need to undergo extensive training and have a strong understanding of physics and the human body. They would also need to have a high level of physical fitness and core strength to generate the necessary force. Additionally, proper equipment and safety measures should be in place to prevent injury.

4. Are there any real-life examples of people defying gravity?

Yes, there are a few real-life examples of people defying gravity. One example is astronaut Scott Kelly, who lived in microgravity aboard the International Space Station for a year. Another example is Felix Baumgartner, who broke the record for the highest skydive ever by jumping from a height of 128,100 feet. While these may not be the same as completely defying gravity, they demonstrate the effects of decreased gravity on the human body.

5. Could this feat of defying gravity have practical applications in the future?

While it is unlikely that this feat will have practical applications in the traditional sense, it could inspire new research and advancements in fields such as physics, human physiology, and space exploration. Additionally, it could serve as a form of entertainment or inspiration for others to push the boundaries of what is possible.

Back