Can two air cylinders provide the leverage needed for easier pedal movement?

In summary, using two air cylinders can help make pressing the pedal and stretching the string easier with less effort.
denant81
I am wanting to use two air cylinders to get the leverage I need to make a mechanical movement easier. Right now I have a foot pedal that's connected to a rod that also connects at the other end to a cross shaft on a pedal steel guitar. This cross shaft is connected to another rod that is connected to a changer finger that when pulled stretches a string. The problem I have now is no matter how I make my connections using mechanical leverage here and there I still have to press on the pedal harder than I would like in order to stretch this string. What I have in mind is to use two air cylinders to get the mechanical leverage I need to make pressing this pedal easier so I can stretch this string with less effort. If I connect my pedal to the rod of an air cylinder say that's a 1.5 inch bore with a 3/4 inch stroke, run an air line from the port of this cylinder where air escapes when I pull the shaft, and connect the other end of this air line to the port of the second air cylinder that is a 3/8 inch bore with a 1/2 inch stroke. The object is to get the movement of the first cylinder to move the second cylinder but since the first cylinder is a bigger bore than the second cylinder wouldn't it give me the leverage I need to make this movement with less effort from my pedal?

Thanks,
denant81

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, using two air cylinders to get the mechanical leverage you need should work. The larger bore of the first cylinder will provide the necessary force to move the second cylinder, resulting in less effort from your pedal. You may need to adjust the bore sizes and stroke lengths to get the desired ratio of movement between the two cylinders.

Related to Can two air cylinders provide the leverage needed for easier pedal movement?

1. What are air cylinders for leverage?

Air cylinders for leverage are pneumatic devices that use compressed air to provide mechanical force for lifting, moving, or applying pressure to objects. They are commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings.

2. How do air cylinders for leverage work?

Air cylinders for leverage work by converting the energy of compressed air into linear or rotary motion. When air is pumped into the cylinder, it pushes against a piston, which in turn moves a rod or shaft to apply force to the desired object.

3. What are the benefits of using air cylinders for leverage?

There are several benefits to using air cylinders for leverage, including their ability to produce high force with relatively low energy consumption, their precise control and adjustability, and their resistance to heat, moisture, and corrosion.

4. How do I choose the right air cylinder for leverage?

When choosing an air cylinder for leverage, you should consider factors such as the required force and stroke length, the operating pressure and speed, and the environmental conditions it will be used in. It is also important to select a reputable manufacturer and ensure proper installation and maintenance.

5. Can air cylinders for leverage be dangerous?

Like any mechanical device, air cylinders for leverage can be dangerous if not used properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate protective equipment when handling or working near air cylinders. Regular maintenance and inspection can also help prevent accidents or malfunctions.