Can Two Particles in a Vacuum Attract Each Other?

In summary, according to the theory of gravity, two particles that are in a vacuum will be attracted to each other and will eventually collide. However, the behavior of these particles is not controlled by each other; it is controlled by the laws of physics.
Rubix
I've been thinking about this. I don't know a whole lot about physics so I'm sorry if I ask something stupid. If there are two particles in a vacuum, according to the theory of gravity, the two particles will be attracted to each other and collide. But, how does this one particle know that there is another particle existing next to it? Is that where the so called "graviton" comes into play?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Before going into the idea of a "graviton", you can understand this behaviour with the field theory. Just imagine that the first particle develops a gravity field (mostly like the magnetic field develop by a magnet) around it. By placing another massive particle in this field develops a force on that particle.

Cheers

I don't understand this. Say you have two 1kg masses 1ly apart, fixed for >1 year, then released simultaneously to move freely. When mass A moves towards mass B, it cannot know whether mass B has been released until about 1 year after it is released, so shouldn't it's rate of acceleration be less than you would expect?

I have studied electrodynamics and it is very different from electrostatics, but I have never thought about the gravity analogy (despite studying general relativity, where the metrics were still static)

If the two particles have an adequate gravitational field to act on each other, they would move at a calculated speed. As the distance closes between the objects the speed would increase. Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states that the force between two objects is equal to the gravitational constant multiplied by the product of the two objects masses divided by the distance between them squared.

[tex]F = G(m1m2 / r^{2})[/tex]
[tex]m1, m2[/tex] = masses of objects
[tex]r[/tex] = distance between objects
[tex]G\ =\ 6.673(10)\ \times\ 10^{-11}\ m^{3} kg^{-1} s^{-2}[/tex]

I think wikipedia has a better representation of the formula than I can do on this forum:
b65000f8f887a68545ce63eb1cada232.png

To answer your question, the objects are not aware of each other the gravitational properties of them merely react to the laws of physics. So if the two objects have the ability to gravitate they will move toward each other at a calculated velocity.

I'm also new to physics so I probably botched this answer, but it's the best I can do.

I think I have found some sort of answer, my issue was that the law is not invariant under a special relativity transform. I guess GR fixes this, but I can't quite see how.

Related to Can Two Particles in a Vacuum Attract Each Other?

1. What is the concept of "two particles in a vacuum"?

The concept of "two particles in a vacuum" refers to a scenario in which two particles are placed in an empty space, devoid of any other matter or external forces. This allows for the study of the interactions and behaviors of the two particles without any other variables affecting the results.

2. How is a vacuum created for this experiment?

A vacuum is typically created by removing all air and other gases from a sealed chamber using a vacuum pump. This results in a low-pressure environment in which particles can move freely without any air resistance or other external factors.

3. What is the significance of studying two particles in a vacuum?

Studying two particles in a vacuum allows scientists to isolate and observe the fundamental interactions between particles without interference from other factors. This can provide insights into the behavior of matter at a microscopic level and aid in the development of theories and models in physics.

4. How are the movements of the particles observed in a vacuum?

The movements of particles in a vacuum can be observed using specialized equipment such as particle accelerators or particle detectors. These tools allow scientists to track the trajectories and interactions of the particles and collect data for analysis.

5. Can the results from studying two particles in a vacuum be applied to real-world scenarios?

While the vacuum environment may not be representative of real-world conditions, the principles and theories developed from studying two particles in a vacuum can be applied to various fields such as astrophysics, materials science, and quantum mechanics. These insights can also lead to technological advancements and innovations.