Can Two Vehicles Avoid Collision in a Wet Tunnel?

• Thread starter 3.14159265358979
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, Speedy Sue, driving at 30 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes a slow moving van 155 m ahead traveling at 5 m/s. She applies her brakes but can accelerate only at -2.0 m/s^2 because the road is wet. The collision occurs at 11.38 seconds. The closest distance between Sue’s car and the van is 13.62 meters.
Speedy Sue, driving at 30 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes a slow moving van 155 m ahead traveling at 5 m/s. She applies her brakes but can accelerate only at -2.0 m/s^2 because the road is wet. Will there be a collision? If yes, determine how far into the tunnel and what time the collision occurs. If no, determine the distance of closest approach between sues car and the van.

here's my greatest guess...

i'm going to assume they collide...(if i can do that)

S----------- 155 m -----------V--------x---------C

where...
S = sues starting position
V = the vans starting position
x = the distance traveled by the van
c = collision

SUE:
d = vt + 1/2at^{2}
155+y = 30t - t^{2}
y = 30t - t^{2} - 155

VAN:
d = vt + 1/2at^{2}
y = 5t

therefore...

30t - t^{2} - 155 = 5t
t^{2} - 25t + 155 = 0

using the quadratic formula, i got

t = 13.62 and t = 11.38 seconds (approx.)

now which one do i accept? am i doing this right or the smartest way? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
my mistake...i defined the variable as x, but used y in my solution...

S----------- 155 m -----------V--------y---------C

where...
S = sues starting position
V = the vans starting position
y = the distance traveled by the van
c = collision

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated...

Position = A/2t^2 + Vi*t + Pi

Where
A = acceleration
Vi = velocity initial
P = position initial
t = time

so:
Sue’s position equation is: -2/2t^2 + 30t + 0
The van’s position (assuming the van has a constant acceleration) equation is: 0/2t^2 + 5t + 155

The question you are being asked is when their positions are equal, to get that you need to set their positions equations equal to each other. -2/2t^2 + 30t = 5t + 155

Are there any real solutions to that quadratic equation? And if they are, what do those solutions signify?

isn't that what i did? the answer i got was t = 13.62 and t = 11.38 seconds (approx.). but how does that make any sense? how can they intersect twice? shouldn't i get a negative answer that i could discard? thanks for the quick reply joh

In my opinion the best way to do this is to calculate the distance Sue will cover when she accelerates negatively, and then check the distance covered by the truck, and compare both distances. I mean if Sue covers a distance D [D1+D2] and the truck covers a distance [D2] and Sue distance is > the distance of the truck + 155, then it hit the truck, don't you agree?

If you like my idea, here's a hint:
What speed Sue at least should have to avoid collision?

Last edited:
The equation assumes constant acceleration while in reality she is going to stop accelerating once she hits the truck.

Basically that equation works like they are driving next to each other. In that case they would have equal distances twice, she would pass him, and then he would pass her.

But in your scenario that isn’t the case once they collide they stop. So the smaller time value.

FAQ: Can Two Vehicles Avoid Collision in a Wet Tunnel?

1. Will there be a collision between two objects in space?

It is possible for two objects in space to collide, but it is not a common occurrence. The vastness of space means that most objects are far apart from each other and their orbits are carefully calculated to avoid collisions.

2. How do scientists predict potential collisions in space?

Scientists use various methods to predict potential collisions in space, such as tracking the orbits of objects and using computer simulations to model their paths. They also rely on data from ground-based telescopes and space-based instruments to monitor the movements of objects in space.

3. What are the potential consequences of a collision in space?

The consequences of a collision in space can vary depending on the size and speed of the objects involved. In some cases, it may result in the destruction of the objects, while in others it may cause changes in their orbits or the creation of debris that can pose a threat to other spacecraft.

4. Can collisions in space be prevented?

Collisions in space can be prevented through careful monitoring and tracking of objects, as well as implementing collision avoidance maneuvers when necessary. However, with the increasing number of objects in orbit, it is becoming more challenging to prevent all potential collisions.

5. Are there any measures in place to reduce the risk of collisions in space?

There are various measures in place to reduce the risk of collisions in space, such as international guidelines for space debris mitigation and the development of technologies for active debris removal. Additionally, space agencies and organizations work together to coordinate and share data to avoid potential collisions.

Back