Can Unlimited Sampling Reveal the True Distribution in Statistics?

In summary, if you can sample an unlimited number of times from two unknown distributions with common support, you will eventually learn the true distribution with certainty due to the convergence of the likelihood ratio to either zero or infinity.
Obie
Suppose that I can sample from some unknown continuous distribution. I know that the draws are iid, but the distribution itself is unknown. However, I know that the true distribution is one of two, either f(x|H) and f(x|L) with common support.

I form the likelihood ratio,

L(x1,...,xN)=[f(x1|H)f(x2|H)...f(xN|H)]/[f(x1|L)f(x2|L)...f(xN|L)]

Is it true that if I can sample an unlimited number of times that I will learn the true distribution for certain? That is, does L(x1,...,xN) converge to zero or infinity in probability (or almost surely)?

For Bernoulli trials, the proof is not hard (Based on LLN), but I am wondering whether this result holds more generally..

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is true that if you sample an unlimited number of times, you will learn the true distribution for certain. This result holds more generally because it can be shown that the likelihood ratio converges to either zero or infinity in probability (or almost surely). This follows from the Law of Large Numbers, which states that the average of the results obtained from a large number of trials should be close to the expected value, and the expected value of L(x1,...,xN) is either zero or infinity depending on which distribution is true. Therefore, as the number of trials increases, the likelihood ratio should converge to either zero or infinity in probability (or almost surely).

FAQ: Can Unlimited Sampling Reveal the True Distribution in Statistics?

What is a standard statistic?

A standard statistic is a numerical value that summarizes a set of data. It is used to describe the characteristics of a population or sample, such as the average, median, or standard deviation.

What are some common types of standard statistics?

Some common types of standard statistics include measures of central tendency (mean, median, mode) and measures of variability (standard deviation, range, variance).

How are standard statistics used in research?

Standard statistics are used to analyze and interpret data in research studies. They help researchers understand patterns and relationships within the data and draw conclusions about the population being studied.

What is the difference between a population and a sample in standard statistics?

A population is the entire group of individuals being studied, while a sample is a subset of the population. Standard statistics can be used to describe both populations and samples, but they may differ in their values.

How can standard statistics be misinterpreted?

Standard statistics can be misinterpreted if they are used without considering the context or limitations of the data. It is important to understand the source of the data, the sampling method, and any potential biases or confounding factors that may affect the results.

Back