Can vacuum pumping reduce air bubbles when degassing a liquid sample?

• Thread starter bbobb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid
In summary: Another option could be to let the liquid sit for a period of time before transferring it into the vial, allowing any bubbles to naturally rise to the top and dissipate. Overall, there are various techniques that can be used to minimize bubbles when transferring liquid into a sample vial. In summary, when trying to minimize bubbles in a liquid sample while transferring it into a sample vial, some possible solutions include using a vacuum pump, utilizing filters or strainers, and allowing the liquid to sit before transferring it.
bbobb
hi, i would like to ask a rather general question. hope this is the right forum.

i have a liquid sample that i need to feed into a sample vial (see attached figure for how the sample looks like) through one of its chimneys. every part of the vial is circular in cross section. what i need to achieve is to feed the liquid into it such that there are minimal bubbles (0 bubbles is ideal) as i need to do some sensitive tests on the liquid. does anyone have an idea how i can do that?

pouring the liquid directly into a chimney is probably going to introduce a lot of bubbles. i was thinking along the line of letting the liquid settle out, then piping liquid from the bottom layers out through some kind of a straw and directly into the vial. however, this suction and expulsion action may also introduce air bubbles..

appreciate any input!

Attachments

• tube.JPG
    tube.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
One possible solution is to use a vacuum pump to draw the sample from the container into the vial. This should help to reduce the amount of air bubbles that are created when pouring the liquid directly into the chimney. Additionally, you could also use filters or strainers to further reduce the amount of bubbles in the sample.

FAQ: Can vacuum pumping reduce air bubbles when degassing a liquid sample?

What is degassing a liquid sample?

Degassing a liquid sample is the process of removing dissolved gases from the liquid. This is typically done to ensure accurate and consistent results in experiments or analysis.

Why is degassing necessary for some liquid samples?

Certain liquids, especially those used in scientific experiments or analysis, can contain dissolved gases that can affect the accuracy and reliability of results. Degassing removes these gases to ensure consistent and reliable data.

How is degassing typically achieved?

Degassing can be achieved through various methods, such as using a vacuum pump, stirring the liquid vigorously, or passing an inert gas through the sample. The method chosen will depend on the specific properties of the liquid and the desired level of degassing.

What are some common applications of degassing a liquid sample?

Degassing is commonly used in scientific experiments, environmental testing, and in the production of pharmaceuticals, food and beverages, and other products that require precise measurements and consistent results.

Are there any risks associated with degassing a liquid sample?

There can be risks associated with degassing, particularly if the liquid is hazardous or if the degassing process involves the use of strong chemicals or high temperatures. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate equipment when degassing a liquid sample.

Back