Can Voltage Drop be Eliminated in High Current Circuits with Long Distances?

In summary, the problem is that due to the high current draw and distance between loads, there is a 100mV voltage drop at each load. This drop is not insignificant when compared to the .5 ohm loads, so the interconnecting wires should be drawn as resistors rather than wires. Additionally, if the goal is to provide equal voltage to each load, they must be connected in parallel.
Irwinjs22
Hey guys,

I am new here so I figured I would post a problem I am having and see what comes out. I am designing a circuit that will force a voltage across a proprietary load that I cannot divulge on, but for this example we will assume it's resistors. So far everything works great but I am still running into an issue, see circuit diagram below:

Force.jpg
The Problem:

Due to the high current draw (10A) and the distance between loads (1') I see around 100mV voltage drop at each load so I am reading 700mV at Point A. RL has exactly 1v so keep that in mind because I had to leave the drive circuit out of this post to protect our proprietary work.

What makes the problem worse:

The use of buffers between loads is absolutely out of the question but we are entertaining alternatives... Any Ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use separate identical wires for each load (and return) that are long enough to reach your most distant load and increasing the drive voltage to 1.4V (or whatever it needs to be to compensate for the drop in the wire)?

You are correct, one minor detail however;

If I increase the load drive to 1.4v so that RL5 has a drop of 1v then RL will then have a voltage drop of 1.4v...

The drive sense provides feedback which monitors that specific point. RL is actually about 10' from the drive circuit so the sense line is critical where it's length compensates for the impedance of the drive line, if that makes sense.

Good idea though, thanks for the reply.

Go ahead along gnurf's line but move your sensing point to a position so that there is the same cable length from the sensing point to the positive of each RL. Or beef up your cabling to reduce the resistance to an acceptable level.

Back to basics here:

If the goal is to provide equal voltage to each load,
they have to be connected in parallel.
Right now they are NOT in parallel because the wire connecting them has resistance that is NOT insignificant compared to the 0.5 ohm loads, so your interconnecting wires should be drawn as resistors not wires.

You have not a parallel connection but a series-parallel network .

what's the milli ohms per foot of your wire?
Lessee - it's a tedious arithmetic problem to solve your network

but if i do a back-of-napkin approximation, to get in the ballpark:
Let ohms/ft = R
8 amps in first segment
and 6 amps in second segment
and 4 amps in third
and each segment is 2 feet long (one foot coming and one foot returning)
EDIT dumb arithmetic mistake
[STRIKE]so 0.7 volts = 2RX8+ 2RX6 + 2RX4 [/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]R = .7/36 = 19.4 milliohms per foot?[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]That's like #22 or 24 gage wire![/STRIKE]

replace with
and you're dropping 0.3 volts
so 0.3 volts = 2RX8+ 2RX6 + 2RX4
R = .3/36 = 8.3 milliohms per foot?
That's like #19 or 20 gage wire!

Wow!
Is first section melting its insulation?

Try some #10, it's 1 milliohm per foot.
http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html

Solid copper wire on standoffs makes a nice busbar that's easy to solder to.
Go to hardware store and buy some solid #10
clamp one end in your workbench vise, wrap other around a tool handle and pull until it just yields. That stretching makes it a tiny bit smaller so the insulation slides right off . You can cut insulation into shorter lengths and use it to cover your busbar between solder connections; we call that "Spaghetti". Just don't forget to put spaghetti back on before soldering.

or else switch to a star connection with equal length feeds, as gnurf and jobraq suggested

Last edited:
Hats off to you good sir,

I guess I was having a hard time under standing what you guys were talking about but that was a great break down.

After running multiple tests using your guys suggestions I was above to average the voltage at each load to 1.051v which is one heck of a tolerance. Thanks guys!

Related to Can Voltage Drop be Eliminated in High Current Circuits with Long Distances?

1. How does voltage drop affect electrical circuits?

Voltage drop occurs when the voltage decreases as it travels through a circuit, which can cause issues such as dimming lights or reduced power in appliances. This can be a problem in long or complex circuits, leading to inefficient energy usage and potential damage to equipment.

2. What causes voltage drop?

Voltage drop is caused by the resistance of the materials used in electrical circuits. The longer the distance the electricity must travel, the more resistance it will encounter, resulting in a drop in voltage.

3. How can voltage drop be eliminated?

Voltage drop can be eliminated by using larger wire sizes, reducing the length of the circuit, and minimizing the number of connections. Additionally, using low resistance materials, such as copper, and keeping wire connections clean and tight can help reduce the effects of voltage drop.

4. Is voltage drop a concern in all electrical circuits?

Voltage drop is a concern in all electrical circuits, but it is more noticeable in longer or more complex circuits. Therefore, it is important to consider and address voltage drop in all electrical projects to ensure efficient and safe operation.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing voltage drop?

If voltage drop is not addressed, it can lead to inefficiency and potential damage to equipment. In extreme cases, it can also create a safety hazard, as reduced voltage can cause appliances to overheat or malfunction. It is important to properly calculate and address voltage drop in order to maintain the stability and safety of electrical circuits.