Can We Approximate the Matrix Square Root of A+B Under Certain Conditions?

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approximate
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of approximating the matrix square root of ##A+B##, where ##A## and ##B## are non-commuting matrices and B is smaller than A. It is suggested to use a series expansion for the inverse of ##A+B##, but the same trick does not work for the square root. The conversation ends with the mention of eigendecomposition as a potential solution if ##A+B## is non-singular.
jostpuur
Assume that [itex]A,B\in\mathbb{R}^{N\times N}[/itex] are some matrices which do not commute. Is there any way to approximate the matrix

[tex]
\sqrt{A + B}
[/tex]

under the assumption that [itex]B[/itex] is smaller than [itex]A[/itex]? Could it be possible to write the square root precisely with some infinite series under some conditions?

Here's a related problem, which I know already. Suppose we were interested in the matrix

[tex]
(A + B)^{-1}
[/tex]

We know for complex numbers [itex]|z|<1[/itex] the series

[tex]
\frac{1}{1 + z} = 1 - z + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}(-1)^n z^n
[/tex]

The same series will work for bounded operators with norm less than one, so by using the formula [itex](XY)^{-1}=Y^{-1}X^{-1}[/itex] we get

[tex]
(A + B)^{-1} = ((\textrm{id} + BA^{-1})A)^{-1} = A^{-1}(\textrm{id} + BA^{-1})^{-1}
[/tex]
[tex]
= A^{-1}\Big(\textrm{id} - BA^{-1}+ BA^{-1}BA^{-1} + \sum_{n=3}^{\infty}(-1)^n(BA^{-1})^n\Big)
[/tex]
[tex]
= A^{-1} - A^{-1}BA^{-1}+ A^{-1}BA^{-1}BA^{-1} - \cdots
[/tex]

We also have Taylor series for square root:

[tex]
\sqrt{1 + z} = 1+ \frac{1}{2}z- \frac{1}{4}z^2 + \frac{3}{8}z^3
+ \sum_{n=4}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}3\cdot 5\cdot\ldots\cdot (2n-3)}{2^n}z^n
[/tex]

Could it be, that this series could be used get something for the [itex]\sqrt{A+B}[/itex]? Actually the previous trick doesn't work now. The problem is that [itex]\sqrt{XY}[/itex] is not related to [itex]\sqrt{X}\sqrt{Y}[/itex] or [itex]\sqrt{Y}\sqrt{X}[/itex] in any obvious way. So I was left without further ideas here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eigendecomposition would work if ##A+B## is non-singular.

Related to Can We Approximate the Matrix Square Root of A+B Under Certain Conditions?

1. How do I approximate the square root of the sum of two numbers?

To approximate the square root of the sum of two numbers, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square both numbers and add them together. Then, take the square root of the sum to get an approximation of the square root of the original expression.

2. Can I use a calculator to approximate the square root of A+B?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a square root function which can be used to approximate the square root of A+B. Simply enter the sum of the two numbers and then press the square root button.

3. What is the best method for approximating the square root of A+B?

The best method for approximating the square root of A+B depends on the level of accuracy needed. If a rough estimate is sufficient, using the Pythagorean theorem or a calculator can work well. However, for a more precise approximation, using a computational method such as the Babylonian method or Newton's method may be necessary.

4. Can I use a formula to approximate the square root of A+B?

Yes, there are various formulas that can be used to approximate the square root of A+B. Some common ones include the Pythagorean theorem, the Heron's method, and the Taylor series expansion. These formulas can provide a more accurate approximation compared to using a calculator or basic arithmetic operations.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my approximation for the square root of A+B?

To improve the accuracy of your approximation, you can use a combination of methods. For example, you can start with a rough estimate using the Pythagorean theorem or a calculator, and then refine your approximation using a more advanced formula such as the Heron's method or Newton's method. Additionally, increasing the number of decimal places in your calculation can also improve the accuracy.