Can We Break Human Physical Limits?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of breaking current records in running events through technological advancements in athlete training and gear. The participants mention how records seem to have reached a saturation point, but suggest that with better technology, these limitations can be surpassed. They also draw parallels with the advancements in racing cars and the potential for further enhancements in athlete performance.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I was reading on the net about 800m distance running to try and improve myself in the event, and then happened to come across this ~
wikipedia said:
Running at full speed for the entire distance is impossible
Yes I know this is common sense and again backed up by medical science's experiments on lactic acid build-up and also since the professionals are far from completely sprinting the entire 800m leg.

However, I had also heard (quote unsourced) that many years ago (probably 50+) it was said that the 4 minute mile is physically unbreakable. The current world record in that event is 3:43.

So what I'm trying to say is, it is evident that with better technological advancements in athlete training they are now able to vastly outdo the athletes 100 years ago. Does this mean it may some day be possible to sprint the entire 800m? And thus achieve what wikipedia is calling 'impossible'?

Biology news on Phys.org
Mentallic said:
I was reading on the net about 800m distance running to try and improve myself in the event, and then happened to come across this ~

Yes I know this is common sense and again backed up by medical science's experiments on lactic acid build-up and also since the professionals are far from completely sprinting the entire 800m leg.

However, I had also heard (quote unsourced) that many years ago (probably 50+) it was said that the 4 minute mile is physically unbreakable. The current world record in that event is 3:43.

So what I'm trying to say is, it is evident that with better technological advancements in athlete training they are now able to vastly outdo the athletes 100 years ago. Does this mean it may some day be possible to sprint the entire 800m? And thus achieve what wikipedia is calling 'impossible'?
The speed at which the leg muscles move is determined by the metabolic rate in the muscle tissue. There is a finite capacity.

The record for the 400 m is held by Michael Johnson, with a time of 43.18 seconds, the record for the 800 m is by Wilson Kipketer at a time of 101.11 sec in Colognon e 24 August 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/400_metres#Top_all-time_athletes_-_men
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/800_metres#Records
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_run_world_record_progression

The records for various races seem to have reached a saturation limit or asymptote. The speeds increased with techique and training, and perhaps physiological development, but we now seem to have reached physiological limits.

Astronuc said:
The records for various races seem to have reached a saturation limit or asymptote. The speeds increased with techique and training, and perhaps physiological development, but we now seem to have reached physiological limits.
But what I'm thinking is that these limits can be broken through, or at least the limits themselves are extended due to technological enhancements. e.g. new aerodynamic and muscle-supporting clothing, new shoes etc. (not counting drugs).

Correspondingly, the racing cars had gone through a similar experience. Now I know a car isn't biological, and of course much more susceptible to become better through tech advancements, but I think it follows the same structure. It was said (again, unsourced quote) that the racing cars had a limit at the speeds they could round a bend due to traction issues. That limit has been vastly surpassed simply due to the redesign of the car's wheels and weight (carbon fibre allowed for lighter weight) and possibly other factors.

Couldn't it be possible that such redesigns can be made to enhance the athlete's limitations? But of course still staying within the guidelines of what is a legitimate enhancement i.e. nothing ridiculous like pogo-stick like shoes.

Mentallic said:
But what I'm thinking is that these limits can be broken through, or at least the limits themselves are extended due to technological enhancements. e.g. new aerodynamic and muscle-supporting clothing, new shoes etc. (not counting drugs).
I'm not sure that one would want to go too much faster, i.e., movement of the legs. But perhaps if one could store more energy in the shoes or support hose/pants, and recover more force per stride. We'd probably have to start banking the curves, which has been done for some tracks.

Correspondingly, the racing cars had gone through a similar experience. Now I know a car isn't biological, and of course much more susceptible to become better through tech advancements, but I think it follows the same structure. It was said (again, unsourced quote) that the racing cars had a limit at the speeds they could round a bend due to traction issues. That limit has been vastly surpassed simply due to the redesign of the car's wheels and weight (carbon fibre allowed for lighter weight) and possibly other factors.

Couldn't it be possible that such redesigns can be made to enhance the athlete's limitations? But of course still staying within the guidelines of what is a legitimate enhancement i.e. nothing ridiculous like pogo-stick like shoes.
There's almost no limit to the energy and forces that can be applied to a vehicle, but there is certainly an limit to what the human body can endure.

One could bank a trank to vertical, but how practical would that be. People already race planes, and presumably one could race at supersonic speeds.

Astronuc said:
I'm not sure that one would want to go too much faster, i.e., movement of the legs. But perhaps if one could store more energy in the shoes or support hose/pants
I doubt this would be allowed. If we could theoretically harness other forms of energy release (I'm imagining artificially placed chemical reactions charging us internally or externally) then there should also be no limit to what a human can do. It would just depend on the amount of energy that can be released and harnessed.

Astronuc said:
and recover more force per stride.
Yes this would be the main way to increase the possible limits of the athlete. Imagine such gear that is so aerodynamically sound it begins to approach the same effects of running through a vacuum. No air resistance, much higher limits.

Astronuc said:
We'd probably have to start banking the curves, which has been done for some tracks.
Well, the top speeds achieved are 40km/h and this has been achieved for a couple of seconds at most by the best sprinters. Even at those speeds there are no problems with traction as can be seen in the 200m sprints. If they were to bank the tracks, it's just an attempt to create the same effect as running in a continuous straight line. Not so necessary in my opinion.

Astronuc said:
There's almost no limit to the energy and forces that can be applied to a vehicle, but there is certainly an limit to what the human body can endure.
Yes that's true and this is what I meant by:
Mentallic said:
Now I know a car isn't biological, and of course much more susceptible to become better through tech advancements, but I think it follows the same structure.
But who is to say that the limit the human body (mind you, with the aid of technology) can endure makes the idea of sprinting 800m absurd? As far as the present athletes have advanced and surpassed their ancestors, if this is to be kept up, I wouldn't be making any assumptions on the human's limits.

Astronuc said:
One could bank a trank to vertical, but how practical would that be. People already race planes, and presumably one could race at supersonic speeds.
I have no clue how this is relevant :-p

Mentallic said:

There are some physiological limits to how much power a muscle can produce.

Skeletal muscle has enough ATP on hand (5 umol per g muscle) to last about 10 contractions. After that, the muscle must regenerate ATP, which ultimately sets a limit on when exhaustion sets in:

1) dephosphorylation of creatine phosphate is the most rapid form of ATP regeneration, and will supply power for 10-20 seconds (a 100 or 200 m race)
2) On a slower timescale is anaerobic glycolysis
3) even slower is aerobic oxidation of glucose

The first two processes, combined, will provide about 40 seconds of effort before the production of lactic acid leads to fatigue. The 'endurance limit' of aerobic activity is about 370 W.

FAQ: Can We Break Human Physical Limits?

1. What are the current human physical limits?

The current human physical limits are constantly being pushed and redefined. Some common physical limits that have been reached or come close to being reached include the fastest human sprint speed of 44.72 km/h (27.78 mph) achieved by Usain Bolt, the longest free dive underwater at a depth of 214 meters (702 feet) achieved by Herbert Nitsch, and the highest free fall jump at 39 kilometers (24 miles) achieved by Felix Baumgartner.

2. Is it possible to break human physical limits?

There is ongoing debate about whether it is possible to break human physical limits. Some scientists believe that with advancements in technology and training methods, it may be possible to push beyond our current limits. Others argue that there are inherent biological limitations that cannot be surpassed.

3. What factors affect human physical limits?

Several factors can affect human physical limits, including genetics, training, nutrition, and environmental conditions. Genetics play a significant role in determining our physical capabilities, but training and proper nutrition can also help us reach our maximum potential. Environmental conditions, such as altitude and weather, can also impact performance.

4. Are there any potential risks to breaking human physical limits?

There are potential risks to pushing beyond human physical limits. One major concern is the potential for injury, as the human body may not be able to withstand extreme physical demands. Additionally, there may be ethical considerations, such as the use of performance-enhancing drugs, in attempting to break physical limits.

5. What are the implications of breaking human physical limits?

If human physical limits are successfully broken, it could have significant implications in areas such as sports, medicine, and space exploration. It could also challenge our understanding of human physiology and the capabilities of the human body. However, it is important to consider the potential risks and ethical concerns before attempting to break physical limits.