Can we Cut a Necklace? - Problem Of The Week # 215

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, it is possible to cut a necklace without damaging it, depending on the material and method used. It is also possible to cut a necklace in half and reattach it, or to cut a necklace to make it shorter. However, cutting a necklace may alter its original design and shape. It is recommended to have this done by a professional jeweler. Additionally, it is not recommended to use household scissors for cutting a necklace as they may not be suitable for the task.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Suppose we have a necklace of $n$ beads. Each bead is labeled with an integer and the sum of all these labels is $n-1$. Prove that we can cut the necklace to form a string whose consecutive labels $x_1, x_2, \dots, x_n$ satisfy
$$\sum_{i=1}^k x_i\le k-1 \qquad \text{for} \; k=1, 2, \dots, n.$$

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Problem Of The Week # 215 - May 10, 2016

This was Problem A-4 in the 1995 William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition.

No one answered this week's POTW. The solution, attributed to Kiran Kedlaya and his associates, follows:

Let $s_{k} = x_{1} + \cdots + x_{k} - k(n-1)/n$, so that $s_{n} =s_{0} = 0$. These form a cyclic sequence that doesn't change when you rotate the necklace, except that the entire sequence gets translated by a constant. In particular, it makes sense to choose $x_{i}$ for which $s_{i}$ is maximum and make that one $x_{n}$; this way $s_{i} \leq 0$ for all $i$, which gives $x_{1} + \cdots + x_{i} \leq i(n-1)/n$, but the right side may be replaced by $i-1$ since the left side is an integer.

Related to Can we Cut a Necklace? - Problem Of The Week # 215

1. Can we cut a necklace without damaging it?

It is possible to cut a necklace without damaging it, depending on the material and method used. Precious metals like gold and silver can be cut with specialized tools, while softer materials like pearls can be carefully cut with a sharp knife. However, any cutting will alter the original shape and design of the necklace.

2. Can we cut a necklace in half and reattach it?

Yes, it is possible to cut a necklace in half and reattach it with the right tools and techniques. For example, if the necklace is made of chain links, they can be cut and re-soldered together. However, this should only be done by a professional to ensure the necklace remains intact and wearable.

3. Can we cut a necklace to make it shorter?

Yes, a necklace can be cut to make it shorter, but it depends on the type of necklace and the material it is made of. For example, a chain necklace can easily be shortened by removing some links, while a beaded necklace may require more intricate cutting and restringing. Again, it is recommended to have this done by a professional jeweler.

4. Can we cut a necklace and still keep the clasp?

In most cases, yes, it is possible to cut a necklace and still keep the clasp. However, this will depend on the design of the necklace and the desired length after cutting. If the necklace is too short after cutting, the clasp may need to be removed and reattached at a different point to maintain the functionality of the necklace.

5. Can we cut a necklace with household scissors?

It is not recommended to cut a necklace with household scissors as they may not be sharp enough or strong enough to cut through the material. This could result in damage to the necklace or injury to yourself. It is best to use specialized jewelry cutting tools or seek the assistance of a professional jeweler.