Can we view the hanoi tower algorithm as the following way?

In summary: HanoiTriples(n3Power,a,b,c)</th><th>Description</th></tr><tr><td>HanoiTriples(n3Power,a,b,c)This function takes three arguments: the number of plates as a power of three, the a, b, and c piles, and the move from, move to, and other pile. It works by treating three plates as one and solving the problem of nine plates. If the number of discs is 2, 4, 5, or 6 instead of 1, 3, 9, or 27, then Hanoi()
pqrs008jeff
the well known hanoi tower algorithm is as follow:
Code:
public static void hanoi(int n,int a,int b,int c)
  (
    if(n>0)
   (
    hanoi(n-1,a,c,b);
    move(a,b);
    hanoi(n-1,c,b,a);
   )
 )
my problem is : can we handle this algorithm in this method?
we can regard three places as one place which means that three places' case is the basic case, then we can solve the problem of nine places where three places are regarded as one place, and so on, we can solve the case of 27 places then to the case of places. if we realized that when we move three places, it means that we move 7 times which time we move one place, in this way we can solve the problem with remainder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
The algorithm that you're showing will work for any number of discs (as specified by "n").
When you say "place", I think you're referring to the number of stacks you are allowed to use. Since 3 stacks is sufficient, why do more the 3 stacks? The whole point of the puzzle is to manage with only the minimum.

Perhaps you are looking to make optimal use of more than three stacks? I can't quite catch what you're trying to do.

thank you for your help!
my problem is : can we handle this algorithm in this method?
we can regard three plates as one plate which means that three plates' case is the basic case, then we can solve the problem of nine plates where three plates are regarded as one plate, and so on, we can solve the case of 27 plates then to the case of plates. if we realized that when we move three plates, it means that we move 7 times which time we move one plate, in this way we can solve the problem with remainder.
here is the stacks,not the place. i make a mistake, sorry!
yes i want to search the optimal path of n stacks,such that:
a0*3^0+a1*3^1+a2*3^2+...+an*3^n

I see. So you're sticking with three stacks - but you're looking to generate the "move" sequence differently.
We'll call your new method HanoiTriples. It would take these arguments:

HanoiTriples(n3Power,a,b,c)
Where:
-> n3Power: indicates the number of plates as a power of 3. For example n3Power==0 indicates one plate, n3Power==1 indicates 3 plates.
-> a: Specifies the "move from" pile.
-> b: Specifies the "move to" pile.
-> c: Specifies the other pile.

I think you could make that work. Of course, if the number of discs was 2, 4, 5, or 6 instead of 1, 3, 9, or 27, then you would have to use Hanoi() instead of HanoiTriple().

I change my mind, it won't work.
Here's the algorithm we're talking about:
Code:
HanoiTriples(n3Power,a,b,c)
{
  if(n3Power<1) {
    Move(a,b);
  } else {
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,a,b,c);
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,a,c,b);
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,b,c,a);
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,c,a,b);
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,c,b,a);
  }
}
The problem is with the rule that big plates can't be put onto little plates - and when you're dealing with sets of three, sometime the bottom plate in the group of three will be bigger than the top plate is pile "c".

thank you for your advice!
but i don't think it is a problem like hanoi-triple!
this problem is about the sequence of the plates we move!even though we move one plate each step,but in general,there exists a special regular of the sequence we move.
if we view three plates as one ,the new sequence of the algorithm will appear in the former case that when we move one plate every step! eventually,if we view nine plates as one,the new sequence will appear in the case that when we move three plates each step!

I'm pretty sure I understand you correctly - and the code that I posted above does that.
I don't have the time right now, but later today I will post some JavaScript code which demonstrates what happens when you try to move a stack of 9 plates using your method.

But meanwhile, consider this: When you are moving 1 plate from stack "A" to stack "B", stack "C" is left alone. But when you move a group of 3 plates from "A" to "B", stack "C" is temporarily used to hold some of the plates. That temporary use is where the problem comes in.

So copy this into a file, give it an *.html file name, and open it up in your favorite browser.
It treats everything in a group of nine made up of groups of threes made up of single plates - but in the process it occasionally puts a big plate only a little plate.

If this isn't the algorithm you mean, feel free to modify the code to suit you purpose and let it run.

Code:
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<table id="HanoiTable">
<tr><td align="center" width="150">&nbsp;</td><td align="center" width="150">&nbsp;</td><td align="center" width="150">&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td align="center">&nbsp;</td><td align="center">&nbsp;</td><td align="center">&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td align="center">&nbsp;</td><td align="center">&nbsp;</td><td align="center">&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td bgcolor="black" colspan=3>&nbsp;</td></tr>

</table>

<script>

var HanoiTable = document.getElementById("HanoiTable");
var HanoiDrawIndex = 0;
var HanoiDrawCount = 0;
var HanoiDrawList = Array();

var HanoiRings=9;

var Towers=[
  [0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
  [0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
  [0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0]
];

function HanoiTriples(n3Power,a,b,c)
{
  if(n3Power<1) {
    HanoiMove(a,b);
  } else {
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,a,c,b);
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,b,c,a);
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,c,a,b);
    HanoiTriples(n3Power-1,c,b,a);
  }
}

/*
function Hanoi(n,a,b,c)
{
  if(n>0) {
    Hanoi(n-1,a,c,b);
    HanoiMove(a,b);
    Hanoi(n-1,c,b,a);
  }
}
*/

function HanoiMove(a,b)
{
  nA = a-1;
  nB = b-1;

var nRing=0;
  //
  // Remove top ring from tower a.
  nRing = 0;
  nASize = Towers[nA][0];
  if(nASize>0) {
    nRing = Towers[nA][nASize];
    Towers[nA][nASize] = 0;
    Towers[nA][0] = nASize-1;
    HanoiSetDraw(a,nASize,0,false);
  }
  //
  // Place it onto tower b.
  if(nRing>0) {
    nBSize = Towers[nB][0]+1;
    Towers[nB][0] = nBSize;
    Towers[nB][nBSize] = nRing;
    HanoiSetDraw(b,nBSize,nRing,true);
  }
}

function HanoiSetDraw(tower,level,ringsize,delay)
{
  var Move=Array();
  Move.tower=tower;
  Move.level=level;
  Move.ringsize=ringsize;
  Move.delay=delay;
  HanoiDrawList[HanoiDrawCount] = Move;
  HanoiDrawCount++;
}

function HanoiDraw()
{
  while(HanoiDrawIndex<HanoiDrawCount) {
    Move = HanoiDrawList[HanoiDrawIndex];
    HanoiDrawIndex++;
    HanoiCell = HanoiTable.rows[9-Move.level].cells[Move.tower-1];
    HanoiCell.innerHTML = "&nbsp;"+(Array(Move.ringsize+1).join("="));
    if(Move.delay) break;
  }
}Towers[0][0]=HanoiRings;
for(n=1;n<=HanoiRings;n++) {
  Towers[0][n] = HanoiRings-n+1;
  HanoiSetDraw(1,n,Towers[0][n],false);
}setInterval(HanoiDraw,250);

HanoiTriples(2,1,2,3);

</script>

</body>
</html>

There is a unique minimal-move solution to the problem and the standard recursive algorithm does that. In effect, it treats moving n-1 disks as a single set (a recursive call for moving n-1 disks). Your suggestion of treating 3 disks as a special case seems like a step backward that introduces unnecessary complications. The only way that it could get a different answer is if it makes unnecessary moves that it undoes later.

Related to Can we view the hanoi tower algorithm as the following way?

1. What is the Hanoi Tower algorithm?

The Hanoi Tower algorithm is a mathematical puzzle that involves moving a stack of disks from one tower to another, using three pegs. The goal is to move all the disks from the starting tower to the end tower, while following two rules: only one disk can be moved at a time, and a larger disk cannot be placed on top of a smaller disk.

2. How is the Hanoi Tower algorithm typically viewed?

The Hanoi Tower algorithm is typically viewed as a logic or math problem, where the goal is to find the most efficient solution for moving the disks from one tower to another.

3. Can the Hanoi Tower algorithm be viewed in other ways?

Yes, the Hanoi Tower algorithm can also be viewed as a sorting algorithm. The disks can represent different-sized data items, and the three towers can represent different arrays or data structures. The goal is to sort the data items from one tower to another in the correct order.

4. How does viewing the Hanoi Tower algorithm as a sorting algorithm change its approach?

Viewing the Hanoi Tower algorithm as a sorting algorithm may change the approach to solving it. Instead of focusing on the physical movement of the disks, the focus may shift to finding the most efficient way to rearrange the data items in the correct order.

5. Are there any other ways to view the Hanoi Tower algorithm?

Yes, the Hanoi Tower algorithm can also be viewed as a recursive algorithm. The process of moving the disks can be broken down into smaller subproblems, where the same rules apply. This allows for a step-by-step approach to solving the puzzle and finding the most efficient solution.

Back