Can we write icap-jcap=pi/2 ? why or why not?

• Thread starter AakashPandita
  • Start date
In summary, we have discussed the possibility of writing icap-jcap=pi/2 and concluded that it is not a valid construct. We also explored the concept of radial acceleration of a body moving in a circle and found that the formula 2v^2(icap-jcap)/rpi can be used to approximate the average acceleration over a 90 degree interval. We then discussed the possibility of obtaining instantaneous acceleration from this expression and suggested using an angle less than pi/4 and taking the limit as it approaches zero. Finally, we solved for the acceleration vector and found that it points towards the origin.
AakashPandita
Can we write icap-jcap=pi/2 ? why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write whatever you want, but nobody will understand you if you don't explain what icap and jcap are!

I think the OP is asking about the difference between the unit vectors in the i and j directions being 90 degrees.

Using that interpretation the answer is no; this difference (i - j) is a new vector that points along the line -45 degrees.

Interesting I took it to mean a programming statement in some language like Java:

Code:
icap-jcap = pi/2;      // is an invalid construct 
                            // as you can have an expression icap-jcap
                            // on the left of an assignment

but

Code:
if ((icap-jcap)==(pi/2)) { System.out.println("icap-jcap == pi/2 is TRUE");

UltrafastPED is right.
I was trying to prove that radial acceleration of a body moving in circle is v^2/r.

For uniform speed i came up with this 2v^2(icap-jcap)/rpi as radial acceleration

If icap-jcap=pi/2, acc=v^2/r

Also i do not understand computer programs.

No, you can't do that. i and j are vectors, adding or subtracting them couldn't possibly give you a scalar.

Show your work ...

AakashPandita said:
UltrafastPED is right.
I was trying to prove that radial acceleration of a body moving in circle is v^2/r.

For uniform speed i came up with this 2v^2(icap-jcap)/rpi as radial acceleration

If icap-jcap=pi/2, acc=v^2/r

Also i do not understand computer programs.

There is also the problem that [tex]\hat{i}-\hat{j} [/tex] is a constant vector whereas the centripetal acceleration is a rotating vector. So your formula cannot be right.

I see what you are trying to do. You are assuming that the particle is traveling in a circle in the clockwise direction, and at the top of the circle, the velocity is pointing in the i direction, while, earlier, at the left end of the circle, the velocity is pointing in the j direction. The time interval between these two locations is rπ/2 divided by v. You can't get the instantaneous acceleration this way because angular increment is too large. The best you can get is an approximation to the average acceleration over the interval. According to UltrafastPED's post #3, you get the correct direction for the average acceleration (at the half-way point), but not the correct magnitude. You get a coefficient of 2/π, and it should be unity (if you were trying to get the instantaneous magnitude at the half-way point). Still, considering the crudeness of the approximation, it's not too bad. You need to do the analysis in the limit as the angular change approaches zero.

okay okay now i think i understand.

thank you very much!

[tex]/frac{2v^2(î-{/jhat}}{rpi}[/tex]

Last edited:
2v^2(icap-jcap) / rπ

is the average acc. for 90 degree of circular motion.

is there a way i could obtain instantaneous acceleration from this expression?
how?

also how do i write it in latex?

Last edited:
AakashPandita said:
2v^2(icap-jcap) / rπ

is the average acc. for 90 degree of circular motion.

is there a way i could obtain instantaneous acceleration from this expression?
how?

also how do i write it in latex?

You would have to use an angle less that π/4, say Δθ, and, you could make use of the relationship for how the unit vector in the θ direction changes with θ:

[tex]\frac{d\vec{i_θ}}{dθ}=-\vec{i_r}[/tex]

You would express the velocity vector as [itex]\vec{V}=v\vec{i_θ}[/itex], and then determine the rate of change of this vector with time.

yes i know that method. is there a proof ...like maybe we could find average acceleration for time tending to zero...?

AakashPandita said:
yes i know that method. is there a proof ...like maybe we could find average acceleration for time tending to zero...?

Sure. Take Δθ larger, determine the vectorial velocity change over the angle Δθ, and then take the limit as Δθ approaches zero.

I get change in velocity:

[tex]\frac{( sinθ \hat{i} + ( cosθ - 1 ) \hat{j} ) v^2}{θr}[/tex]

where θ is change in velocity and in radian and less than pi/2, speed is constant and body starts moving from
[tex]v\hat{j}[/tex]

Last edited:
AakashPandita said:

where θ is change in velocity and in radian and less than pi/2, speed is constant and body starts moving from
[tex]v\hat{j}[/tex]

Excellent. Now take the limit as θ approaches zero.

Chet

Am I going to get [tex] \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex] ?
because i am not getting it. I am getting something very messy.

this is a vector . how do we differentiate a vector?

AakashPandita said:

[tex]v\hat{j}[/tex]

Your sign looks wrong on the sine term, and you should really have Δθ instead of θ. But, otherwise it's OK. So you should have:
[tex]\vec{a}=\frac{( -sinΔθ \hat{i} + ( cosΔθ - 1 ) \hat{j} ) v^2}{Δθr}[/tex]

You basically did the vector differentiation correctly. Now, take the limit as Δθ approaches zero.

Lim(sin(Δθ)/Δθ) as Δθ approaches zero is 1
Lim((cos(Δθ)-1)/Δθ) as Δθ approaches zero is 0

So:
[tex]\vec{a}=- \hat{i}\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

This is the acceleration vector, and it's pointing toward the origin (as it should).

Likes 1 person
i don't understand how sinΔθ icap is negative.

if the angle is less than 90 degrees shouldn't sintheta and costheta both be positive?

Draw a diagram, and you'll see why.

chet

Likes 1 person
clearly sinθ is positive?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 312
AakashPandita said:
clearly sinθ is positive?
I'm sorry. I was thinking of it going counter clockwise starting at (r,0). The way you have it drawn is consistent with your equation. And, as your result indicates, it should be a +i unit vector (which points at the origin).

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot!

Related to Can we write icap-jcap=pi/2 ? why or why not?

1. Can we write icap-jcap=pi/2?

No, we cannot write icap-jcap=pi/2 because the equation is not mathematically valid. The left side of the equation represents a vector, while the right side represents a numerical value. In order for the equation to make sense, both sides must represent the same type of mathematical object.

2. Why is icap-jcap not equal to pi/2?

As mentioned before, icap-jcap is a vector, while pi/2 is a numerical value. These two objects cannot be equal because they are not the same type of mathematical object. Therefore, it is not possible to write icap-jcap=pi/2.

3. Is there a way to rewrite the equation icap-jcap=pi/2 so that it is mathematically valid?

Yes, the equation can be rewritten as icap-jcap = pi/2 * jcap, where jcap represents a unit vector in the y-direction. This equation is now valid because both sides represent vectors.

4. Can we solve for icap-jcap in the equation icap-jcap=pi/2?

No, we cannot solve for icap-jcap in this equation because there is no variable or unknown value to solve for. The equation simply states that two different types of mathematical objects are equal, which is not mathematically valid.

5. What is the significance of the equation icap-jcap=pi/2?

This equation has no significant meaning in mathematics or science. It is not a valid equation and cannot be used to represent any physical or mathematical concept. Therefore, it does not have any significance.