Can Wikiquation Become the Go-To Database for Equations?

• Thread starter DanielFaraday
  • Start date
In summary, a colleague has created a website called wikiquation.com which functions as a searchable wiki-style database for equations. While the database is currently lacking in content, it allows for easy addition and editing of equations without a user account. The website also allows for searching using both words and variables, using LaTeX for non-keyboard symbols. Though it may not be useful as a search engine yet, it has potential as a personal equation resource. The website allows for finding equations that may be difficult to locate on the internet, and also provides detailed explanations and information for each equation. However, it is important for the website to continue to develop and add more equations in order to become a valuable resource.
DanielFaraday
A colleague of mine just started a website called wikiquation.com. It's a searchable wiki-style database for equations. The database is currently quite empty, so it's not very useful as a search engine yet, but it allows anyone to add or edit an equation without creating a user account. I think the site has some serious potential, since it's pretty hard to find an equation on the internet unless it has a specific name (assuming you can remember it). His website allows you to use both words and variables as search input (using LaTeX for non-keyboard symbols). At the very least, it could be useful as a personal equation resource. I thought it was pretty cool, so I thought I'd share the link.

http://wikiquation.com"

Since this website is a nonprofit and science-related, I believe this post falls within the forum rules on advertising (see below). If I have misinterpreted these rules, please remove my post and accept my apologies.
Advertising for personal gain of any kind is not permitted in any forum. Commercial spam will result in an immediate ban. Posting science website links will be permitted occasionally, but will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Linking to obviously "crank" or "crackpot" sites is prohibited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DanielFaraday said:
The database is currently quite empty, so it's not very useful as a search engine yet …

Is there anything in it?

I just searched for ax^2+bx+c=0, and got nothing. :redface:

tiny-tim said:
Is there anything in it?

I just searched for ax^2+bx+c=0, and got nothing. :redface:

Yeah, they have some equations... I don't know if ^ works though because when I put in a^2+b^2=c^2 it doesn't show anything but if I just put in a it comes up Pythagorean Theorem. Then you can click on it and it explains all the variables etc.

I think this website is actually a great idea. Maybe later tonight if I get home early enough I'll try to add some more equations :)

Daniel, I don't see this as much of a resource yet. Please spend sometime in developing it. When ready you may re-post.

FAQ: Can Wikiquation Become the Go-To Database for Equations?

1. What is Wikiquation?

Wikiquation is a wiki-style online platform for creating and sharing equations and mathematical expressions. It allows users to collaborate on equations, edit and improve existing equations, and discover new equations.

2. How does Wikiquation work?

Users can create a free account on Wikiquation and start creating equations using the provided equation editor. They can also browse and search for existing equations and contribute to them by suggesting edits or improvements. Wikiquation also offers a discussion forum for users to engage in conversations about equations and mathematics.

3. Can anyone contribute to Wikiquation?

Yes, anyone with a Wikiquation account can contribute to the platform by creating, editing, or commenting on equations. However, all contributions are subject to review and approval by the Wikiquation community to ensure accuracy and relevance.

4. Are there any guidelines for creating equations on Wikiquation?

Yes, Wikiquation has a set of guidelines and best practices for creating equations. These guidelines include using proper notation and formatting, providing clear descriptions and explanations, and citing sources when necessary. Users are encouraged to follow these guidelines to maintain the quality and accuracy of equations on the platform.

5. Is Wikiquation a reliable source for equations?

Wikiquation is not a primary source for equations, and users should always verify the accuracy of equations before using them in their work. However, Wikiquation has a community of knowledgeable and dedicated users who review and improve equations regularly, making it a reliable source for equations and mathematical expressions.