Can x, y, and z be the side lengths of a triangle?

In summary: I would say it in the next post. I'm gonna go to bed now.But before I go to bed, I think you should take a look at my solution to the first part of the question, which I posted below.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Let $ABC$ be a triangle. By Cosine Rule:$cosC=\frac{a^2+b^2-c^2}{2ab}$.Hence, $cos^2C=1-2sin^2C$.Thus, $sin^2C-\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1}{2}(1-cos^2C)-\frac{1}{2}=-\frac{1}{2}cos^2C$.H
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let ABC be a triangle. Prove that $sin^2\frac{A}{2}+sin^2\frac{B}{2}+sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2sin\frac{A}{2}sin\frac{B}{2}sin\frac{C}{2}=1$.
Conversely, prove that if x, y and z are positive real numbers such that $x^2y^2+z^2+2xyz=1$, then there is a triangle ABC such that $x=sin\frac{A}{2}, y=sin\frac{B}{2}, z=sin\frac{C}{2}$.

I can solve the first part of the question.
My problem is I can't see a way to proceed with the second half of the question.

They are closely-related, I know, but I just couldn't see the right way to go.(Thinking)

Any help/hint would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first step would be to prove that $x,\ y,\ z\le 1$.

$x^2+y^2+z^2+2xyz=1$

Viewing this as a quadratic equation in $x$, we get

$\displaystyle x= \frac{-2yz\pm\sqrt{4y^2z^2-4(y^2+z^2-1)}}{2}$

Since $x$ is real, we must have

$4y^2z^2-4(y^2+z^2-1)\ge 0$

$y^2z^2-y^2-z^2+1\ge 0$

$y^2(z^2-1)-(z^2-1)\ge 0$

$(y^2-1)(z^2-1)\ge 0$

Similarly,

$(x^2-1)(y^2-1)\ge 0$

$(x^2-1)(z^2-1)\ge 0$

Either $x,\ y,\ z\le 1$ or $x,\ y,\ z\ge 1$.

$x,\ y,\ z\ge 1\implies x^2+y^2+z^2+2xyz\ge 5$ (contradiction)

So, $x,\ y,\ z\le 1$

We can let $x=\sin X,\ y=\sin Y,\ z=\sin Z$.

$\sin ^2X+\sin ^2Y+\sin^2Z+2\sin X\sin Y\sin Z=1$.

We now need to show that $\displaystyle X+Y+Z=\frac{\pi}{2}$.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

anemone said:
I can solve the first part of the question.

Could you post the solution? It may help me complete the proof.

Last edited:
Thanks for showing the great way to prove that $ x, y, z \leq 1.$, Alexmahone.

BTW, I don't think we need to let $x=sinX, y=sinY, z=sinZ $ so that proving $X+Y+Z=\frac{\pi}{2}$ will show the desired result.

I think we need to let $x=sin(\frac{A}{2}), y=sin(\frac{B}{2}), z=sin(\frac{C}{2}) $ because with these substitutions and from the given equation where $x^2y^2+z^2+2xyz=1$, we'll obtain the following equation:
$sin^2\frac{A}{2}+sin^2\frac{B}{2}+sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2sin\frac{A}{2}sin\frac{B}{2}sin\frac{C}{2}=1$.

And the equation above is true iff $A+B+C=\pi$, i.e. there exists a triangle ABC under the given conditions.

(P.S. Do you still want my working on the first part of the question? I'll show it if you want to have a look on it.)

anemone said:
$sin^2\frac{A}{2}+sin^2\frac{B}{2}+sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2sin\frac{A}{2}sin\frac{B}{2}sin\frac{C}{2}=1$.

And the equation above is true iff $A+B+C=\pi$, i.e. there exists a triangle ABC under the given conditions.

I believe you have proved that the equation above is true if $A+B+C=\pi$. But have you also proved that the equation is true only if $A+B+C=\pi$?

Hmm... I don't understand. Won't it suffice to show that the $sin^2\frac{A}{2}+sin^2\frac{B}{2}+sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2sin\frac{A}{2}sin\frac{B}{2}sin\frac{C}{2}=1$ is true if $A+B+C=\pi$ so that the prove is established?

Do you mean something like what will happen if $A+B+C=n\pi$?

anemone said:
Hmm... I don't understand. Won't it suffice to show that the $sin^2\frac{A}{2}+sin^2\frac{B}{2}+sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2sin\frac{A}{2}sin\frac{B}{2}sin\frac{C}{2}=1$ is true if $A+B+C=\pi$ so that the prove is established?

Do you mean something like what will happen if $A+B+C=n\pi$?

To complete the proof of the second half, we need to show that $\displaystyle \sin ^2X+\sin ^2Y+\sin^2Z+2\sin X\sin Y\sin Z=1\implies\displaystyle X+Y+Z=\frac{\pi}{2}$.

You said that you have proved $\displaystyle A+B+C=\pi\implies \sin^2\frac{A}{2}+\sin^2\frac{B}{2}+\sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\sin\frac{C}{2}=1$.

However, what we now need is the converse: $\displaystyle\sin^2\frac{A}{2}+\sin^2\frac{B}{2}+\sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2} \sin\frac{C}{2}=1\implies A+B+C=\pi$.

Last edited:
Alexmahone said:
...what we now need is the converse: $\displaystyle\sin^2\frac{A}{2}+\sin^2\frac{B}{2}+\sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\sin\frac{C}{2}=1\implies A+B+C=\pi$.

Ah! You're right! Will think hard on that part and report back once I get the idea or workout the whole proof.

The last part of the proof:

Let $\displaystyle x=\sin\frac{A}{2},\ y=\sin\frac{B}{2},\ \sin\frac{C}{2}$.

$\displaystyle \sin^2\frac{A}{2}+\sin^2\frac{B}{2}+\sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\sin\frac{C}{2}=1$

$\displaystyle \frac{1-\cos A}{2}+\frac{1-\cos B}{2}+\sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\sin\frac{C}{2}=1$

$\displaystyle -\frac{\cos A}{2}-\frac{\cos B}{2}+\sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\sin\frac{C}{2}=0$

$\displaystyle -\cos\left(\frac{A+B}{2}\right)\cos\left(\frac{A-B}{2}\right)+\sin^2\frac{C}{2}+\left[\cos\left(\frac{A-B}{2}\right)-\cos\left(\frac{A+B}{2}\right)\right]\sin\frac{C}{2}=0$

$\displaystyle \left[\sin\frac{C}{2}+\cos\left(\frac{A-B}{2}\right)\right]\left[\sin\frac{C}{2}-\cos\left(\frac{A+B}{2}\right)\right]=0$

$\displaystyle \sin\frac{C}{2}+\cos\left(\frac{A-B}{2}\right)=0$ or $\displaystyle \sin\frac{C}{2}-\cos\left(\frac{A+B}{2}\right)=0$

$\displaystyle \frac{A-B}{2}=\frac{\pi}{2}+\frac{C}{2}$ or $\displaystyle \frac{A+B}{2}=\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{C}{2}$

$\displaystyle A-B-C=\pi$ or $\displaystyle A+B+C=\pi$

If $\displaystyle A+B+C=\pi$, we are done.

If $\displaystyle A-B-C=\pi$, put $\displaystyle \frac{A'}{2}=\pi-\frac{A}{2}$ ie $\displaystyle A'=2\pi-A$. (Note that $\displaystyle \sin\frac{A'}{2}=\sin\frac{A}{2}$.)

$\displaystyle 2\pi-A'-B-C=\pi$

$\displaystyle A'+B+C=\pi$ and we are done.

Last edited:
Before I had time to response, you gave me the complete proof. :eek:

BTW, here is my initial work:
$sin^2\frac{A}{2}+sin^2\frac{B}{2}+sin^2\frac{C}{2}+2sin\frac{A}{2}sin\frac{B}{2}sin\frac{C}{2}$

$=\frac{3}{2}-\frac{cosA+cosB+cosC}{2}+sin\frac{C}{2}[(-)(cos\frac{A+B}{2}-cos\frac{A-B}{2})]$.

$=\frac{3}{2}-\frac{cosA+cosB+cosC}{2}-sin\frac{C}{2}[sin\frac{C}{2}-cos\frac{A-B}{2}]$.

$=\frac{3}{2}-\frac{cosA+cosB+cosC}{2}-sin^2\frac{C}{2}+sin\frac{C}{2}cos\frac{A-B}{2}$.

$=\frac{3}{2}-\frac{cosA+cosB+cosC}{2}-(\frac{-1+cosC}{2})+\frac{1}{2}(sin\frac{A+C-B}{2}-sin\frac{A-(B+C)}{2})$.

$=\frac{3}{2}-\frac{cosA+cosB+cosC}{2}-(\frac{-1+cosC}{2})+\frac{1}{2}(cosB+cosA)$.

=1

Now that I know I need to get down to the product of two factors that equals to zero because the relationship between A, B and C can clearly be drawn from there.

Thanks.

FAQ: Can x, y, and z be the side lengths of a triangle?

1. How can you prove that a triangle ABC exists given the information of x, y, and z?

The existence of triangle ABC can be proven using the Law of Sines. Since x = sin(A/2) and y = sin(B/2), we can rewrite the equation as x = (a/2R) and y = (b/2R), where a and b are the respective sides opposite to angles A and B, and R is the circumradius of the triangle. Similarly, we can rewrite z = (c/2R), where c is the side opposite to angle C. By applying the Law of Sines, we get the equation a/sinA = b/sinB = c/sinC. This shows that the given values of x, y, and z satisfy the conditions for a triangle to exist.

2. What is the Law of Sines and how does it apply in this scenario?

The Law of Sines states that in any triangle, the ratio of the sine of an angle to the length of the side opposite to that angle is equal for all three angles. In this scenario, we use the Law of Sines to prove the existence of triangle ABC by showing that the given values of x, y, and z satisfy the conditions for a triangle to exist.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate the existence of triangle ABC?

Let x = 0.5, y = 0.3, and z = 0.4. Plugging these values into the equation x = (a/2R), y = (b/2R), and z = (c/2R), we get a = 1, b = 0.6, and c = 0.8. By applying the Law of Sines, we get 1/sinA = 0.6/sinB = 0.8/sinC. Solving for the angles using inverse sine, we get A = 30 degrees, B = 36.87 degrees, and C = 113.13 degrees. This proves that a triangle ABC exists with the given values of x, y, and z.

4. What are the conditions for a triangle to exist in general?

In general, for a triangle to exist, it must satisfy three conditions:

1. The sum of the lengths of any two sides must be greater than the length of the third side.
  2. The difference between the lengths of any two sides must be less than the length of the third side.
  3. The sum of the three angles must be 180 degrees.

In the scenario given, the third condition is satisfied since x, y, and z are all positive and less than 1, making the sum of the angles A, B, and C less than 180 degrees.

5. How does the given information relate to the sides and angles of triangle ABC?

The given information of x = sin(A/2), y = sin(B/2), and z = sin(C/2) provides a way to relate the sides and angles of triangle ABC. By using the Law of Sines and the equations x = (a/2R), y = (b/2R), and z = (c/2R), we can determine the values of the sides a, b, and c and the angles A, B, and C. This information can then be used to construct and analyze the triangle ABC.