Can y'(x)=5x^3(y-1)^\frac{1}{5} have infinitely many solutions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter alexmahone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the differential equation y'(x)=5x^3(y-1)^(1/5), with the initial condition y(0)=1. The speaker found 3 solutions: y=x^5+1, y=-x^5+1, and the constant solution y=1. However, the professor mentions that there are infinitely many solutions, including piecewise combinations and shifting one of the solutions. The conversation concludes with a discussion about finding a continuously differentiable solution around y=1.
alexmahone
Solve \(\displaystyle y'(x)=5x^3(y-1)^\frac{1}{5}\), \(\displaystyle y(0)=1\).

I found 3 solutions: \(\displaystyle y=x^5+1\), \(\displaystyle y=-x^5+1\) and the constant solution \(\displaystyle y=1\).

But my prof said there are infinitely many solutions. Which are they?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmahone said:
Solve \(\displaystyle y'(x)=5x^3(y-1)^\frac{1}{5}\), \(\displaystyle y(0)=1\).

I found 3 solutions: \(\displaystyle y=x^5+1\), \(\displaystyle y=-x^5+1\) and the constant solution \(\displaystyle y=1\).

But my prof said there are infinitely many solutions. Which are they?

How about piece wise combinations of those solutions?
And perhaps you can shift one of them to the left or right, combining it with $y=1$.

I like Serena said:
How about piece wise combinations of those solutions?
And perhaps you can shift one of them to the left or right, combining it with $y=1$.

Using piecewise combinations I get

1) \(\displaystyle \displaystyle y =\begin{cases} x^5+1\ \text{if}\ x \ge 0\\ -x^5+1\ \text{if}\ x< 0\end{cases}\)

2) \(\displaystyle \displaystyle y =\begin{cases} -x^5+1\ \text{if}\ x \ge 0\\ x^5+1\ \text{if}\ x< 0\end{cases}\)

3) \(\displaystyle \displaystyle y =\begin{cases} x^5+1\ \text{if}\ x \ge 0\\ 1\ \text{if}\ x< 0\end{cases}\)

4) \(\displaystyle \displaystyle y =\begin{cases} 1\ \text{if}\ x \ge 0\\ x^5+1\ \text{if}\ x< 0\end{cases}\)

5) \(\displaystyle \displaystyle y =\begin{cases} -x^5+1\ \text{if}\ x \ge 0\\ 1\ \text{if}\ x< 0\end{cases}\)

6) \(\displaystyle \displaystyle y =\begin{cases} 1\ \text{if}\ x \ge 0\\ -x^5+1\ \text{if}\ x< 0\end{cases}\)
-
I get only 6, not infinitely many!

Last edited:
How about:
$$ y =\begin{cases} x^5+1 &\text{if}\ x > a\\1 & \text{if}\ x< a\end{cases}$$
where $a$ is an arbitrary real number?

I like Serena said:
How about:
$$ y =\begin{cases} x^5+1 &\text{if}\ x > a\\1 & \text{if}\ x< a\end{cases}$$
where $a$ is an arbitrary real number?

But that wouldn't be continuous at $x=a$.

Alexmahone said:
But that wouldn't be continuous at $x=a$.

Sorry. You are right.
Let me think about it.
It must be possible to use $y=1$ up to some $x=a$ and from that point switch to a different solution.

How about for instance:
$$y=\begin{cases}
1 + (x^4-a^4)^{5/4} &&\text{if } x < a < 0\\
1 &&\text{if } a \le x < b \\
1 - (x^4-b^4)^{5/4} &&\text{if } x \ge b > 0\\
\end{cases}$$It is continuously differentiable. ;)Note that everything around $y=1$ is special, because your solution method breaks down around it.

FAQ: Can y'(x)=5x^3(y-1)^\frac{1}{5} have infinitely many solutions?

1. What does it mean when a system of equations has infinitely many solutions?

When a system of equations has infinitely many solutions, it means that there are an infinite number of possible combinations of values for the variables that will satisfy all of the equations in the system. In other words, there is no single unique solution, but rather a continuous range of possible solutions.

2. How can you determine if a system of equations has infinitely many solutions?

A system of equations has infinitely many solutions if it is consistent (meaning there is at least one solution) and has more variables than equations. This means that there are more unknowns than equations to solve for, leaving room for an infinite number of possible solutions.

3. Can a linear system of equations have infinitely many solutions?

Yes, a linear system of equations can have infinitely many solutions. This occurs when the equations are consistent and there are more variables than equations, allowing for a range of possible solutions. In fact, a system of linear equations can have either one unique solution, infinitely many solutions, or no solution at all.

4. How can you solve a system of equations with infinitely many solutions?

Since there are infinitely many solutions, it is not possible to find a single unique solution for a system of equations with infinitely many solutions. Instead, you can use the equations to find a general solution that represents all possible solutions. This can be done by solving for one variable in terms of the others, or by using parameters to represent the infinite number of solutions.

5. Why is it important to understand systems of equations with infinitely many solutions?

Understanding systems of equations with infinitely many solutions is important because it allows us to recognize and solve more complex problems in mathematics and science. Many real-world problems cannot be solved with a single unique solution and instead require a range of possible solutions. Recognizing and understanding systems with infinitely many solutions also helps to build a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and calculus.