Can You Calculate How Long it Takes to Drain a Car Battery with Headlights On?

• Thread starter FredericChopin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the question is asking for the length of time it will take to discharge a 60 Ah battery if the car's headlights and parking lights are left on. The total power consumed by the lights is 140 W and the charge of the battery is 216,000 C. To solve this, one must find the voltage of the battery and use the equations I = Q/t, V = W/Q, and P = W/t to find the current and time.
FredericChopin

Homework Statement

The headlights on a car operate typically at 60 W and the parking lights typically at 5 W. Assuming that there are two main headlights and four parking lights, what length of time will it take to discharge a 60 Ah battery, if the lights are left on?

Homework Equations

I = Q/t

V = W/Q

P = W/t

P = I2*R

P = V2/R

P = IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten no where with this question. :frown:

All that I could do was find that the total power consumed by the lights:

PT = (2*10) + (4*5) = 140 W

, and the charge of the battery:

1 Ah = 3600 C
∴ 60 Ah = 216,000 C

, and that's it.

I have tried simultaneous equations by substitution and elimination but that doesn't work because all of the equations are derived from the base equations I = Q/t, V = W/Q and P = W/t, so I end up getting P = P all the time.

Hint's anybody?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure, but maybe you are suppose to assume that the voltage of the battery is the typical voltage for a car battery.

You need the voltage of the car battery to find the current. Look at Automotive battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, or just see the battery in your car...

ehild

FredericChopin said:

Homework Statement

The headlights on a car operate typically at 60 W and the parking lights typically at 5 W. Assuming that there are two main headlights and four parking lights, what length of time will it take to discharge a 60 Ah battery, if the lights are left on?

Homework Equations

I = Q/t

V = W/Q

P = W/t

P = I2*R

P = V2/R

P = IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten no where with this question. :frown:

All that I could do was find that the total power consumed by the lights:

PT = (2*10) + (4*5) = 140 W

, and the charge of the battery:

1 Ah = 3600 C
∴ 60 Ah = 216,000 C

, and that's it.

I have tried simultaneous equations by substitution and elimination but that doesn't work because all of the equations are derived from the base equations I = Q/t, V = W/Q and P = W/t, so I end up getting P = P all the time.

Hint's anybody?

Thank you.

Hmm... It seems like it... Based on this link, which is the worked solution to the question.

Thank you TSny and ehild.

So much for "complex, challenging and novel"... :rolleyes:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The calculation of how long it takes to drain a car battery with headlights on can be done using the formula P = IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage.

First, we need to calculate the total power consumption of the headlights and parking lights. As you have correctly calculated, the total power consumption is 140 W.

Next, we need to calculate the current (I) that is drawn from the battery. This can be done using the formula P = IV. Rearranging the formula, we get I = P/V. Plugging in the values, we get:

I = 140 W / 12 V = 11.67 A

Now, we can use the formula I = Q/t to calculate the time it takes to drain the battery. Rearranging the formula, we get t = Q/I. Plugging in the values, we get:

t = 216,000 C / 11.67 A = 18,519 seconds

This is equivalent to approximately 5.14 hours. Therefore, it would take about 5.14 hours for the battery to drain if the headlights and parking lights are left on.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Can You Calculate How Long it Takes to Drain a Car Battery with Headlights On?

1. What is headlight power question?

Headlight power question refers to the amount of power or energy needed to operate a vehicle's headlights. It is often measured in watts or volts and can vary depending on the type of headlight and the car's electrical system.

2. How is headlight power question calculated?

Headlight power question is typically calculated by multiplying the voltage and current needed to power the headlights. For example, if a headlight requires 12 volts and 2 amps to operate, the headlight power question would be 24 watts.

3. Can headlight power question affect a car's battery?

Yes, headlight power question can have an impact on a car's battery. If the headlights require a significant amount of power to operate, it can drain the battery faster and potentially cause it to die if the car is not driven for a long period of time.

4. How can I reduce the headlight power question of my car?

There are a few ways to reduce the headlight power question of a car. One way is to switch to more energy-efficient LED headlights instead of traditional halogen bulbs. Another way is to ensure that the headlights are properly aimed and not set too high, which can waste energy.

5. Is there a maximum headlight power question allowed for cars?

There is no specific maximum headlight power question allowed for cars, but there may be regulations in certain countries or states regarding the brightness and type of headlights that are allowed. It is important to check local laws and regulations before modifying a car's headlights.