Can You Calculate the Time Needed for a Model Rocket to Pass Through a Hoop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a 500 g model rocket on a cart rolling at 3.0 m/s, with an 8.0 N thrust from the rocket engine. The goal is for the rocket to pass through a hoop 20 m above the launch point. By using the equations for x and y position, the time for the rocket to reach the hoop is calculated to be 1.58 s. However, when using the answer to find the time using the x position formula, a different result of 2.54 s is obtained. There is also a discussion about the units used for the equations and finding the acceleration.
quick
A 500 g model rocket is on a cart that is rolling to the right at a speed of 3.0 m/s. The rocket engine, when it is fired, exerts an 8.0 N thrust on the rocket. Your goal is to have the rocket pass through a small horizontal hoop that is 20 m above the launch point.

i already have the answer of 7.62 but i need to know how to do it. could someone explain how to get the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
i realize that the acceleration for the x component is 0. the acceleration in y component is just 8 / .5 = 16 m/s^2
the position at time t is
x = v_0*t = 3.0t
y = .5* A_y*t^2 = 8*t^2
im trying to get it to pass a hoop that is 20 m high so i tried 20 = 8*t^2 and i got a time of 1.58 s. i tried putting that time back into the x position equation but i only get 4.74. what am i doing wrong?

What is the question asking for? You just sort of gave us a situation and a goal but not what unknown conditions we need to solve for. Are you asking for at what distance away from the hoop horizontally the thrusters should be turned on at?

Why would 20 = 8*t^2? if 8 is thrust in N then your units are like not position but rather mass * position. The vertical component of displacement is given by d = 1/2*a*t^2. If 8 is the force what is the acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator:
thats exactly what i want to find out. but i already know the distance, i need to find how to get that answer.

(read above post)

ok i got acceleration by force/mass = 8 / .5 = 16 m/s^2
and then using the equation y = y_0 + v_0(t - t_0) + 1/2(a(t-t_0)^2
so i set 20 as y since that is the distance the hoop is above the ground
so 20 = 0 + 0 + 1/2 (16) t^2
so t = sqrt(20/8)

however by using the answer and the x position formula,
7.62 = 3t
t = 2.54
but obviously i won't be able to get that using the answer

Related to Can You Calculate the Time Needed for a Model Rocket to Pass Through a Hoop?

What is the definition of "Dynamics in two dimensions"?

"Dynamics in two dimensions" refers to the study of motion and forces in a two-dimensional space, where movement can occur in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

What are the key principles of dynamics in two dimensions?

The key principles of dynamics in two dimensions include Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, and that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

How is acceleration calculated in two dimensions?

In two dimensions, acceleration is calculated by finding the change in velocity in both the horizontal and vertical directions, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the total acceleration.

What are some common examples of dynamics in two dimensions?

Some common examples of dynamics in two dimensions include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane.

How does friction affect dynamics in two dimensions?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can affect dynamics in two dimensions by reducing the speed and changing the direction of an object's motion. It also plays a role in determining the maximum velocity that an object can reach in a given situation.