Can You Combine Basis Vectors from Different Coordinate Systems?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of finding the "square" of higher dimensional spaces, with the example of a cube squared in six dimensions mentioned as a joke. The question arises if it is possible to combine the basis vectors of different coordinate systems to create a new one. The conversation also mentions references to a 4-dimensional space "square" and the possibility of finding a figure on the internet. The conversation ends with the question of whether it is valid to combine basis vectors of spherical and conical coordinates.
Lancelot59
While not paying attention in class my friend made a joke that a cube squared was in six dimensions, or something like that. Terrible joke, but now I'm trying to figure out if it is valid to arithmatically combine the basis vectors for two or more coordinate systems to get a new one.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
the 2-dimensional space has its square...
the 3-dimensional space has its square (cube)...
most probably each n-dimensional space has its "square", too...

I seem to recall a reference to the 4-dimensional space "square" and while impossible to visualize it in its own space, I think somebody figured out what its shade looks like in the 3-dimensional space...I am sure there is a figure somewhere on the net.

gsal said:
the 2-dimensional space has its square...
the 3-dimensional space has its square (cube)...
most probably each n-dimensional space has its "square", too...

I seem to recall a reference to the 4-dimensional space "square" and while impossible to visualize it in its own space, I think somebody figured out what its shade looks like in the 3-dimensional space...I am sure there is a figure somewhere on the net.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

That's not exactly what I had in mind...

For instance, is it valid to take the basis vectors for spherical coordinates, and conical coordinates, then add or multiply them together?

Combining coordinate systems is a valid mathematical concept, but it is not quite as simple as arithmetically combining basis vectors. In order to combine coordinate systems, one must first ensure that the basis vectors of each system are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. Then, the basis vectors can be combined using a transformation matrix, which takes into account the orientation and scaling of each coordinate system.

This process is commonly used in vector calculus and linear algebra, where multiple coordinate systems may be needed to describe a complex system. It allows for a more efficient and accurate representation of the system, as each coordinate system can capture different aspects of the system.

In terms of your friend's joke, it is not accurate to say that a cube squared exists in six dimensions. A cube is a three-dimensional object, and squaring it simply means multiplying its dimensions by itself. So, a cube squared would still exist in three dimensions. However, in mathematics, we can use higher dimensions to represent and analyze complex systems, but it does not necessarily mean that those systems physically exist in those dimensions.

In summary, combining coordinate systems is a valid mathematical concept, but it requires a proper understanding and application of transformation matrices. It is not as simple as arithmetically combining basis vectors, and it should not be used to make jokes about dimensional concepts.

FAQ: Can You Combine Basis Vectors from Different Coordinate Systems?

1. What is the purpose of combining coordinate systems?

The purpose of combining coordinate systems is to accurately represent and analyze data that is expressed in different coordinate systems. By combining these systems, we can create a unified representation of the data and make it easier to compare and analyze different datasets.

2. What are the different methods for combining coordinate systems?

There are several methods for combining coordinate systems, including transformation, conversion, and projection. Transformation involves mathematically converting coordinates from one system to another. Conversion involves converting the entire dataset from one system to another. Projection involves creating a new coordinate system that is a combination of the original systems.

3. How do you determine which method to use for combining coordinate systems?

The method used for combining coordinate systems depends on the specific data and its intended use. Some factors to consider include the accuracy of the data, the complexity of the coordinate systems, and the desired output. It is important to carefully evaluate these factors before deciding on a method.

4. Can coordinate systems be combined automatically?

In some cases, coordinate systems can be combined automatically using specialized software or algorithms. However, the accuracy and reliability of these methods may vary and may not always be suitable for all datasets. It is important to manually review and verify the results of any automated coordinate system combination.

5. What are the potential challenges of combining coordinate systems?

Combining coordinate systems can present several challenges, such as data loss, distortion, and incompatibility. It is important to carefully consider the implications of combining coordinate systems and to thoroughly test and validate the results to ensure accurate and meaningful data analysis.