Can you combine wavelengths to ionize atoms

In summary, the process of using multiple photons to eject an electron from an atom is possible but has a low probability of happening. It is similar to multi-electron photoemission and requires a very intense light source. The second excitation must occur while the system is still under the first excitation state, making the probability considerably lower than single-photon excitation.
ranger275
If I have an atom with energy levels of -4 ev, -2 ev -1 ev and 0 ev and I radiate it with photons which cover a continuous range from 0 to 2 ev is it not possible for a 2 ev photon to move the electron from -4 to -2 and then a 1 ev photon to move it from -2 to -1 and then a 2 ev photon to free the electron with a kinetic energy of 1 ev? Most material talks about a minimum frequency to eject an electron but I think that only applies it the source is a single frequency. Am I correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ranger275 said:
If I have an atom with energy levels of -4 ev, -2 ev -1 ev and 0 ev and I radiate it with photons which cover a continuous range from 0 to 2 ev is it not possible for a 2 ev photon to move the electron from -4 to -2 and then a 1 ev photon to move it from -2 to -1 and then a 2 ev photon to free the electron with a kinetic energy of 1 ev? Most material talks about a minimum frequency to eject an electron but I think that only applies it the source is a single frequency. Am I correct? Thanks!

It is possible, but the absorption cross-section for the entire process is low, i.e. it has a very low probability of happening.

This is similar to a multi-electron photoemission where photons with energy LESS than the work function of the material can still cause the emission of photoelectrons. The caveat here is that it must be a very intense light source, often a high-powered laser. This is because after the first excitation, the electrons are in the excited state only for a very, VERY, short amount of time. If it does not encounter another photon within that time that will cause another excitation, it will decay back to the ground state and you will have to start all over again.

So the mechanism here requires the second excitation to occur while the system is still under the first excitation state. The probability here is considerably lower (often 2 to 3 orders of magnitude, or more) lower than a single-photon excitation.

Zz.

Thanks! I am teaching the second semester of Physics for the first time and I thought that was how it worked but I needed confirmation.

FAQ: Can you combine wavelengths to ionize atoms

1. Can different wavelengths of light be combined to ionize atoms?

Yes, it is possible to combine different wavelengths of light to ionize atoms. This process is known as multi-photon ionization and involves the absorption of multiple photons by an atom in order to remove an electron and create an ion.

2. How does the combination of wavelengths affect the ionization process?

The combination of wavelengths can affect the ionization process in several ways. The number and energy of the photons, as well as the frequency and intensity of the light, can all impact the efficiency and speed of ionization. Additionally, the specific properties of the atom, such as its electron configuration, can also play a role.

3. Is it possible to control which atoms are ionized by combining wavelengths?

Yes, by carefully selecting the wavelengths and properties of the light used for multi-photon ionization, it is possible to target specific atoms for ionization. This technique is commonly used in atomic and molecular spectroscopy to study and identify different substances.

4. Can combining wavelengths result in higher levels of ionization?

Yes, combining wavelengths can result in higher levels of ionization compared to using a single wavelength. This is because the absorption of multiple photons can provide enough energy to remove electrons from atoms that may not have been easily ionized with a single photon.

5. Are there any limitations to combining wavelengths for ionization?

While multi-photon ionization is a powerful technique, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the efficiency of ionization decreases as the number of photons needed to ionize an atom increases. Additionally, the use of high-intensity light sources can also lead to unwanted side effects, such as the creation of free radicals.