Can You Convert 3 Phase 208V to Single Phase for a Heat Wheel?

• Thread starter richardv24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses how to connect a 208 volt power source to a device that runs on 208 single phase. It is determined that the hot should be connected to one phase, the neutral to neutral, and the ground to ground. However, it is noted that 208 volts is an unusual voltage and the device may require a line-to-line connection. It is recommended to seek help from an expert in this area.
richardv24
Hey guys thanks in advance for any help,

I have a 3 phase 208 volt power source and I have something (heat wheel) that runs on 208 single phase. The heat wheel has ports labeled H (hot) N(neutral) G (gnd). I believe that if i take two legs of the 208 v 3ph, It should now be a single phase. However, one leg would go to hot, gnd would be gnd, does the other leg (which is hot as well), go to neutral?

Thanks again

Engineering news on Phys.org
You hook the hot to one of the phases, neutral goes to neutral and ground goes to ground. Your 3 phase should have 3 hots and a neutral if it doesn't just hook the neutral to one of the hots on your 3-phase. The problem with that is that you won't get 208 volts.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-phase_electric_power

Last edited:
208 Volt is an unusual voltage for something to be designed for.
Are you sure it's 208 Volt.
The line to neutral voltage of 208 volt is only 120 volt.
If your device is designed for 208 volt, then it should be connected line to line.

This is not my area of expertise, so you probably should get help from someone who is an expert in this area.

Related to Can You Convert 3 Phase 208V to Single Phase for a Heat Wheel?

1. What is the purpose of the project?

The purpose of the project is to investigate and gain knowledge about a specific topic or problem through a systematic and scientific process. This could involve conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing results.

2. How will the project be conducted?

The project will be conducted by following the scientific method, which includes identifying a question or problem, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

3. What is the expected outcome of the project?

The expected outcome of the project is to gain a better understanding of the topic or problem being studied. This could include discovering new information, confirming or disproving a hypothesis, or finding practical applications for the results.

4. Who will benefit from the project?

The project may benefit a variety of individuals and groups, depending on the nature of the topic being studied. This could include other scientists in the field, students, educators, policymakers, or the general public.

5. How does this project contribute to the scientific community?

This project contributes to the scientific community by adding new knowledge and insights to the existing body of scientific research. It may also lead to further studies and advancements in the field, and can help inform future decisions and policies.