Can You Create an AND Gate Using Only NAND Gates?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a circuit using only an NAND gate to produce the same output as an AND gate. The simple solution would be to use a NOT gate, but the instructions specify using only one gate. The program being used for creating circuits is also mentioned. The person has tried various combinations but is seeking help and clarification. Someone suggests using two NAND gates to implement an AND gate.
Blues_MTA

Homework Statement

I need to create a circuit using an NAND gate and somehow manipulate it (Using no other components) to have the same output values as an AND gate, Obviously the simple solution would be to just run the NAND gate into a NOT gate to get the output of an AND gate, but the instructions say to only use one gate, is this possible?

Homework Equations

"[URL

This is the program we are using to create the circuits

http://www.jhu.edu/~virtlab/logic/logic.htm

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried every combination i can think of, any help or insight is appreciated as I am new to the idea of circuits Thanks in advance for any help, i really appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure they don't mean only one TYPE of gate?
You can certainly implement a AND with two NANDs

FAQ: Can You Create an AND Gate Using Only NAND Gates?

1. What is a binary circuit?

A binary circuit is an electronic circuit that operates on binary inputs, meaning it takes in two inputs (usually represented by 0 and 1) and produces a single output based on its internal logic.

2. What are the basic components of a binary circuit?

The basic components of a binary circuit include logic gates (such as AND, OR, and NOT gates), wires, and power sources. These components work together to process the binary inputs and produce the desired output.

3. How do I read a binary circuit diagram?

Binary circuit diagrams consist of symbols representing the different components of the circuit, connected by lines representing wires. Inputs are usually labeled with letters or numbers, and the output is typically labeled with an arrow pointing towards it. The logic gate symbols will indicate how the inputs are combined to produce the output.

4. What is the difference between a combinational and a sequential binary circuit?

A combinational binary circuit produces an output solely based on its current inputs, while a sequential binary circuit also takes into account its previous inputs and outputs. This means that a sequential circuit has some form of memory or feedback, while a combinational circuit does not.

5. Can I use binary circuits for more complex calculations?

Yes, binary circuits can be combined and connected in various ways to perform more complex calculations and tasks. This is the basis of modern computer processors and other electronic devices.