Can You Exclude a Specific Number When Generating Random Numbers in Mathematica?

In summary, Mathematica uses a pseudorandom number generator (PRNG) to generate random numbers. This is done through a complex algorithm based on mathematical equations. Users can specify a range for the random numbers by using the RandomInteger, RandomReal, or RandomComplex functions. They can also generate a specific number of random numbers using these functions or the RandomSample function. While the random numbers are not truly random, they are considered to be sufficiently random for most practical applications. Users can also set a seed for the random number generator using the SeedRandom function for testing and debugging purposes.
Sarah rob
I am trying to create a list of 5 random numbers between 1 and 20

In[62]:= RandomInteger[{1, 20}, 5]

Out[62]:= {10, 11, 9, 8, 1}

But is it possible to exclude the number 10 from appearing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am more of an R person, but I'm sure there is some kind comparison operator. Something along the lines of

PHP:
if ($x != 10)
   print $x;

You can feed the output of the random number generator into the above code.

The ' != ' means 'not equal'.

You could choose a random index to an array of 19 numbers, which includes the numbers 1 thorugh 20, but not 10.

Related to Can You Exclude a Specific Number When Generating Random Numbers in Mathematica?

1. How does Mathematica generate random numbers?

Mathematica uses a pseudorandom number generator (PRNG) to generate random numbers. It uses a complex algorithm based on mathematical equations to produce a sequence of numbers that appear to be random.

2. Can I specify a range for the random numbers in Mathematica?

Yes, you can specify a range for the random numbers by using the RandomInteger, RandomReal, or RandomComplex functions. These functions take parameters for minimum and maximum values to generate random numbers within that range.

3. How can I generate a specific number of random numbers in Mathematica?

You can use the RandomInteger, RandomReal, or RandomComplex functions and specify the number of random numbers you want to generate as one of the parameters. Alternatively, you can use the RandomSample function to generate a list of random numbers of a specific length.

4. Are the random numbers in Mathematica truly random?

No, the random numbers generated by Mathematica are not truly random as they are based on an algorithm. However, they are considered to be sufficiently random for most practical applications.

5. Can I set a seed for the random number generator in Mathematica?

Yes, you can set a seed for the random number generator by using the SeedRandom function. This allows you to reproduce the same sequence of random numbers each time you run the code, which can be useful for testing and debugging purposes.