Can you Explain the Mysteries of Exponents?

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, -The exponent tells us how many times we should multiply the base number.-When dividing powers of the same base, simplify the fraction. -To get the power of a power, multiply the powers. -When the power is a fraction, 1/3, for example, it means the number is the third power of which is a 1.
musicgold
Hi,

I am helping my kid with exponents. I told her that the exponent tells us how many times we should multiply the base number. While it works with a simple example like 4^6, I am not sure how to explain her why 4^0 =1 and why 27^(1/3) = 3.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how to multiply and divide powers of the same base -with simple numbers first.

For example, ##2^3\cdot 2^4= (2\cdot2\cdot2)\cdot(2\cdot2\cdot2\cdot2) = 2^7##. The exponents add. an*am=an+m.

You can simplify the fraction when dividing powers.

[tex]\frac{2^4}{2^3}=\frac{2\cdot2\cdot2\cdot2}{2\cdot2\cdot2}=2= 2^{4-3}[/tex].
[tex]\frac{a^n}{a^m}=a^{n-m}[/tex]

What happens if n=m?

[tex]\frac{2^3}{2^3}=\frac{2\cdot2\cdot2}{2\cdot2\cdot2}=1= 2^{3-3}=2^0[/tex]

a0=1...

You can show what a negative exponent means:

[tex]\frac{2^3}{2^4}=\frac{2\cdot2\cdot2}{2\cdot2\cdot2\cdot2}=\frac{1}{2}= 2^{3-4}=2^{-1}[/tex].

The next is to show how to get the power of a power:

##\left(2^3\right)^4=(2\cdot2\cdot2)\cdot(2\cdot2\cdot2)\cdot(2\cdot2 \cdot2)\cdot(2\cdot2\cdot2)= 2^{12}## You multiply the powers. (an)m=anm.

What does it mean when the power is a fraction, 1/3, for example?

## \left(2^{1/3}\right) ^3=2^{\frac{1}{3}\cdot 3}=2^1=2##.

a1/3 is a number the third power of which is a.

As for 271/3: 27=33.
271/3=(33)1/3=33*1/3=31=3

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 3 people
It all relies on knowing the laws ##a^{m+n} = a^m a^n## This is a fundamental property for understanding exponents.

Then it is certainly true that ##1+0 = 1##. So if we put those in the exponents, then it must be true that ##4^{1 + 0} = 4^1##. Thus ##4^1 4^0 = 4^1##. Of course, ##4^1 = 4##. Thus we have something like ##4\cdot 4^0 = 4##. So ##4^0## is some number when multiplied by ##4##, it will give ##4## again. We see immediately that ##4^0 = 1##.

For ##27^{1/3}## something similar holds. Of course we know that ##\frac{1}{3}+ \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{3} = 1##. So if we put this in the exponents, we get
[tex]27^{\frac{1}{3}+ \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{3}} = 27^1 = 27[/tex]
And when using our fundamental property, we see that
[tex]27^{1/3}27^{1/3}27^{1/3} = 27[/tex]
or just
[tex](27^{1/3})^3 = 27[/tex]
So ##27^{1/3}## is the number such that if we cube it, we get ##27##. But by inspection we see that ##3## is such a number since ##3^3 = 27##, so we must have ##27^{1/3} = 3##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks folks.

Related to Can you Explain the Mysteries of Exponents?

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that indicates the number of times a base number should be multiplied by itself. It is typically written as a superscript to the right of the base number.

2. How do I read an exponent?

An exponent is read as "base number raised to the power of the exponent." For example, 32 is read as "3 raised to the power of 2."

3. What does a negative exponent mean?

A negative exponent indicates a fraction with the base number as the denominator. For example, 2-3 is equal to 1/23 which is equal to 1/8.

4. How do I simplify expressions with exponents?

To simplify expressions with exponents, you can use the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. The product rule states that when multiplying two terms with the same base, you can add their exponents. The quotient rule states that when dividing two terms with the same base, you can subtract their exponents. The power rule states that when raising a power to another power, you can multiply the exponents.

5. What is the difference between a base and an exponent?

The base is the number being multiplied by itself, while the exponent is the number of times the base is being multiplied. The base is typically written first and the exponent is written as a superscript to the right of the base.