Can You Find Inflection Points by Equating the Top Line of a Derivative to Zero?

• Thread starter fran1942
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: So by setting the numerator equal to 0, you can find potential inflection points for this particular function. However, this may not always be the case for other functions. It depends on the structure and complexity of the function.
fran1942
Hello, the following fraction is the derivative of a function:

(160-40t^2) / (t^2+4)^2

According to my textbook they have established the inflection points by equating the top line of this derived fraction to zero and then solving for x e.g. 160-40t^2 = 0. (t=+-2).

I was wondering is it a rule that you can simply equate the top line of a fraction format derivative to zero or am I missing something particular to this equation ?

Thanks for any clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
fran1942 said:
Hello, the following fraction is the derivative of a function:

(160-40t^2) / (t^2+4)^2

According to my textbook they have established the inflection points by equating the top line of this derived fraction to zero and then solving for x e.g. 160-40t^2 = 0. (t=+-2).

I was wondering is it a rule that you can simply equate the top line of a fraction format derivative to zero or am I missing something particular to this equation ?

Thanks for any clarification.

Hey fran1942.

What is the structure of your function? Is your derivative in terms of dy/dt = your expression in t or is dt/dx = expression in t?

Inflection points are points where the second derivative is 0, not the first derivative. It is true that a fraction is equal to 0 if and only if the numerator is 0.

Related to Can You Find Inflection Points by Equating the Top Line of a Derivative to Zero?

1. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the direction of the curve changes, from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. It marks a change in the rate of growth or decline of a function.

2. Why is establishing an inflection point important?

Establishing an inflection point is important because it helps identify critical points in a function where significant changes occur. It can provide insights into the behavior of a system and can be used to make predictions and decisions.

3. How is an inflection point calculated?

An inflection point can be calculated by finding the second derivative of a function and setting it equal to zero. The value of the independent variable at which the second derivative is zero is the inflection point.

4. Can an inflection point change over time?

Yes, an inflection point can change over time as the underlying function or system changes. As such, it is important to regularly reassess and update inflection points in order to stay informed and make accurate predictions and decisions.

5. What are some real-world applications of inflection points?

Inflection points have various real-world applications in fields such as economics, finance, biology, and engineering. They can be used to analyze market trends, predict population growth, and optimize production processes, among other things.