Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, there is an acoustic reflex in which people "hear" a thud when the middle tower of the World Trade Center collapses, and the gif matches the heart beat. Some people also experience synesthesia in which they see letters as colors.
This is going around Twitter. I must admit. I can "hear" a thud. Not really with my ears, but in my mind. Some have suggested it's an acoustic reflex or the gif matches your heart beat.

lJ02RSU.gif

Attachments

• lJ02RSU.gif
    lJ02RSU.gif
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,471
Likes I like Serena and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
"hear" a thud. Not really with my ears, but in my mind. Some have suggested it's an acoustic reflex or the gif matches your heart beat.
Not me --- there's something "off" with the timing --- seems to move side-ways, as well.

The whole picture jerks when the middle tower hits the ground. I think that is probably why some people "hear" a thud. I don't but I can see how it could happen.

I know that it isn't really sound, but yes I know what you are talking about. Maybe it is something like synesthesia that everyone has?

I don't hear anything. ? Do I expect to feel/hear something in conjunction with the video, yes, but don't actually.

Algr said:
I know that it isn't really sound, but yes I know what you are talking about. Maybe it is something like synesthesia that everyone has?
No, that would not be synesthesia, and not many people have synesthesia. My oldest daughter has it, she see letters as colors.

phinds said:
The whole picture jerks when the middle tower hits the ground. I think that is probably why some people "hear" a thud. I don't but I can see how it could happen.
I get a touch of vertigo when the picture jerks sideways at "impact." (Cute video though!)

My eardum vibrates a bit watching it. I don't know if Id call it "hearing it" though. My hearing is all jacked up. Whenever I hit a snare drum my ears will echo and rattle. Kinda cool gif.

Definitely I feel some kind of "thud" effect. Interesting.

Evo said:
No, that would not be synesthesia, and not many people have synesthesia. My oldest daughter has it, she see letters as colors.

I was thinking more like the correctly functioning version of what breaks down when you have synesthesia. Perhaps your subconscious is bracing yourself so that you don't get overwhelmed by the sensation that ought to happen when a tower plays jump rope. When the expected sensation doesn't come, you become consciously aware of the bracing, and hear it as a sort of anti-sound.

On some screens I hear it, on others I don't. Large screens seem to show a larger effect.

Vanadium 50 said:
On some screens I hear it, on others I don't. Large screens seem to show a larger effect.
Interesting. When I use Windows magnifier to make it much bigger, the effect, for me at least, is actually reduced instead of enhanced.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This is going around Twitter. I must admit. I can "hear" a thud. Not really with my ears, but in my mind. Some have suggested it's an acoustic reflex or the gif matches your heart beat.

View attachment 216210
No wonder the power towers are in such good shape ;).

Likes OCR
Greg Bernhardt said:

View attachment 216210

I can hear it and feel it!

Even I felt the thud :D

I've seen this before. Yup. I hear it.

Interestingly, I tuned into this thread and happened to immediately start reading the text of the OP without casting my eyes on the gif.
I only caught the motion out of the corner of my eye, and yet it still thumped immediately, drawing my attention.

Also, I happen to think it is one of the most hilariously brilliant gifs the internet has ever produced.

Related to Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery

1. What is "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery"?

"Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery" is a viral internet sensation that started on Twitter in 2018. It involves a GIF that appears to make a thudding sound when it is played, even though GIFs are typically silent.

2. How does the "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery" work?

The exact mechanism behind the "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery" is still unknown. Some scientists believe that it may be a combination of visual and auditory illusions, while others think it could be a psychological phenomenon known as the "McGurk effect."

3. Can everyone hear the thudding sound in the "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery"?

No, not everyone can hear the thudding sound in the "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery." Some people are more sensitive to visual and auditory illusions, while others may not be able to hear the sound due to differences in the way their brain processes information.

4. Can the "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery" be reproduced?

Yes, the "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery" can be reproduced by playing the GIF on a loop and focusing on the center of the image. However, the effect may vary from person to person and may not work for everyone.

5. Is there any scientific explanation for the "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery"?

As of now, there is no definitive scientific explanation for the "Can You "Hear" This GIF? Twitter Thud Mystery." However, ongoing research and studies are being conducted to better understand the phenomenon and its underlying mechanisms.