Can You Hunt for Comets? Understanding the Art of Comet Hunting

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet
In summary, the Google sky site mentioned that Messier catalog got its name from a man who "comet hunted" and cataloged other celestial wonders. The article also said that technology has improved a great deal since then, and that the modern way of comet hunting is done with a computer and internet connection. There is still a lot of progress to be made however, as Casey points out.
Saladsamurai
Question About "Comet Hunting"

So I I was glancing at the Google sky site when I happened upon a little clip about the Messier catalog. It was interesting to see that that was how it got its name, from a man whom was "comet hunting" and happened to catalog these other celestial wonders. (I am sure I just butchered that episode of history:wink:)

But it got me thinking even more about the days when technology was not what it is now. I am sure the telescope that I have now it on almost equal planes with what they had then.

How does one comet hunt? Don't they go by too fast to observe for more than a moment?

Or am I once again butchering definitions? How long can you observe a single comet for?

Any insight would be great,
Casey

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Comets don't move very fast against the background stars, relatively speaking. You can of course, notice the change in position in a matter of days, but not seconds or minutes, so you can easily follow them with a telescope, at ease.

Check this site... http://www.skyrover.net/notebook/

If you want to comet-hunt with just a computer connected to the internet, then try this http://ares.nrl.navy.mil/sungrazer/

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, with a telescope you can detect motion in a matter of minutes for a nearby comet (for the moon, too). But that still means it takes days or weeks for them to traverse the sky.

Today, most comet searches are computerized, but the method is the same today as it was a hundred years ago - look at the same object twice and see if it has moved.

Unfortunately, I have yet to get a good picture of a comet, but here is what one I took a couple of years ago looked like in 5 minutes worth of exposures. http://www.russsscope.net/images/mac1-1-05.jpg

Nice guys. Thanks. So I guess the seventeenth century was just, if not more slow-going!

FAQ: Can You Hunt for Comets? Understanding the Art of Comet Hunting

Question 1: What is comet hunting?

Comet hunting is the process of searching for and discovering new comets in our solar system. This involves using telescopes and other instruments to observe the night sky and identify any objects that may be comets.

Question 2: How do scientists find comets?

Scientists use a variety of methods to find comets, including searching for objects with a fuzzy appearance and tracking the movement of known comets. They also rely on data from space-based telescopes and citizen science projects.

Question 3: Why is comet hunting important?

Comet hunting is important because it allows scientists to better understand the composition and behavior of comets, which can provide insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. It also helps us track potentially hazardous comets and study their impact on Earth.

Question 4: How often do new comets get discovered?

On average, about one new comet is discovered each week. However, the number varies depending on the time of year and the location of the comet in relation to Earth.

Question 5: Can anyone participate in comet hunting?

Yes, anyone can participate in comet hunting through citizen science projects such as the Comet Hunters project on the Zooniverse platform. This allows people from all over the world to contribute to comet discoveries and scientific research.

Back