Can you jump from a BS in Math, minor in Physics, to a MS in Physics?

In summary, the person is considering switching their undergraduate major to math with a minor in physics, which would make it easier for them to pursue a Master's in physics in graduate school. They are also wondering if they could get a Master's in math and then a PhD in physics. They have received advice from a forum and believe they can make it work with some additional studying.
Battlemage!
I've taken enough math courses that it would actually be easier for me to get a BS in math, with a minor in physics, rather than a BS in physics and a minor in math (like I had thought I might like to do originally).

My question is, could I pursue a MS in physics in grad school if I go ahead and finish with a BS in Math with a physics minor in undergrad school?

Or alternatively, after my BS in math, could I get a MS in Math and then a PhD in physics?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like I should be able to do it then, since I'm just 1 semester and 2 courses away from having all the math requirements for a BS in math and I have half the BS physics requirements. I'll just have to study up on physics for a few months my senior year and I should be good.

Thanks for the link to the thread.

Related to Can you jump from a BS in Math, minor in Physics, to a MS in Physics?

1. Can I pursue a MS in Physics with a BS in Math and minor in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MS in Physics with a BS in Math and a minor in Physics. However, you may need to take some additional courses in physics to meet the prerequisites for the MS program.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to students with a BS in Physics?

Not necessarily. While a BS in Physics may provide a stronger foundation in the subject, having a background in math can also be advantageous in certain areas of physics. Additionally, your research experience and skills acquired in your BS in Math program can be transferable and valuable in a MS in Physics program.

3. Can I apply for a MS in Physics program without a strong background in physics?

It depends on the specific program's requirements. Some programs may require a certain number of physics courses or a major in physics, while others may consider applicants with a strong background in math or a related field. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

4. Are there any specific courses or subjects I should focus on in my BS in Math program to prepare for a MS in Physics?

Some important courses to consider include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and mathematical methods in physics. It may also be beneficial to take courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics if available. However, it is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your specific goals.

5. Are there any advantages to pursuing a MS in Physics with a BS in Math instead of a BS in Physics?

Having a strong background in math can provide a unique perspective and skill set that can be valuable in physics research and applications. Additionally, some MS in Physics programs may have a focus on mathematical modeling and analysis, making a BS in Math a suitable background for such programs.