Can you not separate a scalar into x and y components?

In summary: So in this case, it would be 9179 * cos(36.87) = 7345. So you can see that this is not the same as the value of E at x = 4, y = 0, which would be 8000. It's important to understand the difference between vector components and scalar values. In this case, the electric field is a vector quantity, and cannot be treated as a simple scalar value.
Sean1218
A scalar like electric potential.

Say I have a positive charge, and 4m to the right, and 3m up is a point P.

If I wanted to calculate the potential at point P, I'd use V=kQ/r (r=√(4^2 + 3^2)).

But I'm confused about why finding the potential at 4m to the right (the x component), and the potential at 3m above the charge (y component) and using c=√(x^2 + y^2) wouldn't give the same answer.

And I realize that this isn't independent for scalars, because doing this to find electric field would be wrong as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is c? The scalar potential is itself a function of a vector if that clears up anything. Similarly, the electric field is a vector that itself is a function of a vector. i.e.
[tex]V(\vec{R})=\frac{-kq}{|\vec{R}|}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{E}(\vec{R})=\frac{kq\vec{R}}{|\vec{R}|^3}[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, if the electrostatic potential could have "components," then it stands to reason that any arbitrary function could. Take [itex]z = x^2 + y[/itex], for example. It is clearly true that [itex]z(4,3) = 19[/itex], but [itex]z(4,0) = 16[/itex] and [itex]z(0,3) = 3[/itex], so [itex]z(4,3) \neq (z(4,0)^2 + z(0,3)^2)^{1/2}[/itex]. Ordinary functions of space simply do not work the same way as vectors. So in a sense, it's meaningless to compare scalar quantities and vector quantities this way, because vectors are geometrical quantities which are specifically constructed to satisfy the property that you can use the Pythagorean theorem to determine their magnitude.

Mindscrape said:
What is c? The scalar potential is itself a function of a vector if that clears up anything. Similarly, the electric field is a vector that itself is a function of a vector. i.e.
[tex]V(\vec{R})=\frac{-kq}{|\vec{R}|}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{E}(\vec{R})=\frac{-kq\vec{R}}{|\vec{R}|^3}[/tex]

Sorry, c is just the hypotenuse so electric potential at P (or electric field at P).

Steely Dan said:
Well, if the electrostatic potential could have "components," then it stands to reason that any arbitrary function could. Take [itex]z = x^2 + y[/itex], for example. It is clearly true that [itex]z(4,3) = 19[/itex], but [itex]z(4,0) = 16[/itex] and [itex]z(0,3) = 3[/itex], so [itex]z(4,3) \neq (z(4,0)^2 + z(0,3)^2)^{1/2}[/itex]. Ordinary functions of space simply do not work the same way as vectors. So in a sense, it's meaningless to compare scalar quantities and vector quantities this way, because vectors are geometrical quantities which are specifically constructed to satisfy the property that you can use the Pythagorean theorem to determine their magnitude.

Then why doesn't this method work with electric field, as it's a vector?

Sean1218 said:
A scalar like electric potential.

Say I have a positive charge, and 4m to the right, and 3m up is a point P.

If I wanted to calculate the potential at point P, I'd use V=kQ/r (r=√(4^2 + 3^2)).

But I'm confused about why finding the potential at 4m to the right (the x component), and the potential at 3m above the charge (y component) and using c=√(x^2 + y^2) wouldn't give the same answer.

And I realize that this isn't independent for scalars, because doing this to find electric field would be wrong as well.
The answer to your question is implied by the answer to the question asked by the title of this thread:
Can you not separate a scalar into x and y components?
The answer is that a scalar cannot be separated into x & y components, because a scalar is not a vector quantity. It may have a magnitude, but it does not have a direction associated with it.

So, what are you saying doesn't work? The distance to the point charge is the hypotenuse. The hypotenuse itself does have an x component and a y component. The electric potential, however, does not have any components because it just depends on the hypotenuse. The electric field, on the other hand, not only depends on the hypotenuse, but where the hypotenuse is located.

Mindscrape said:
So, what are you saying doesn't work? The distance to the point charge is the hypotenuse. The hypotenuse itself does have an x component and a y component. The electric potential, however, does not have any components because it just depends on the hypotenuse. The electric field, on the other hand, not only depends on the hypotenuse, but where the hypotenuse is located.

I understand now regarding electric potential and other scalars, thanks everyone.

What doesn't work is finding the x and y components of the electric field and using pythagorean theorem to find the electric field at that point. This method should give an identical answer to using E=kq/r2 where r=5 (distance between P and q), but it doesn't (for me at least).

Sean1218 said:
I understand now regarding electric potential and other scalars, thanks everyone.

What doesn't work is finding the x and y components of the electric field and using pythagorean theorem to find the electric field at that point. This method should give an identical answer to using E=kq/r2 where r=5 (distance between P and q), but it doesn't (for me at least).
Please show your work for this.

SammyS said:
Please show your work for this.

With a charge of 8E-6 C

x: kq/r2 = (9E9)(8E-6)/(42) = 4500

y: kq/r2 = (9E9)(8E-6)/(32) = 8000

E=sqrt(45002 + 80002)
E=9179

or:

r=5
kq/r2 = (9E9)(8E-6)/(52) = 2880 (the correct answer)

Am I just doing the first part wrong?

Sean1218 said:
With a charge of 8E-6 C

x: kq/r2 = (9E9)(8E-6)/(42) = 4500

y: kq/r2 = (9E9)(8E-6)/(32) = 8000

E=sqrt(45002 + 80002)
E=9179

or:

r=5
kq/r2 = (9E9)(8E-6)/(52) = 2880 (the correct answer)

Am I just doing the first part wrong?

Right, this is not correct. The x component of the electric field vector at point P is not the same thing as the value of the electric field at x = 4, y = 0. Those are two unrelated quantities. The x component of E at point P is the magnitude of E, multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis.

Related to Can you not separate a scalar into x and y components?

1. Can a scalar be separated into x and y components?

No, a scalar is a single value quantity and does not have any direction associated with it. Therefore, it cannot be separated into x and y components.

2. Why can't we separate a scalar into x and y components?

Scalars only have magnitude and no direction. Therefore, it is not possible to divide a scalar into x and y components as it would require a direction.

3. Can a vector be separated into x and y components?

Yes, a vector has both magnitude and direction, making it possible to separate it into x and y components. The x and y components represent the magnitude of the vector in the respective directions.

4. What are the differences between a scalar and a vector?

The main difference between a scalar and a vector is that a scalar only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be added or subtracted by simple arithmetic operations, while vectors require vector addition or subtraction.

5. How do you calculate the x and y components of a vector?

To find the x and y components of a vector, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The x component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle formed between the vector and the x-axis. Similarly, the y component is equal to the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the sine of the angle formed between the vector and the y-axis.

Back