Can you prove \tan 20^{\circ}+4 \sin 20^{\circ}=\sqrt{3}?

In summary, the conversation discussed how to prove that the equation tan 20^{\circ}+4 \sin 20^{\circ}=\sqrt{3} is true. One method involved using the equation tan 60 - tan 20 = sin 60/cos 60 - sin 20/cos 20 and simplifying it to 4 sin 20 + tan 20 = tan 60 = 3^(1/2). The other participant also expressed their appreciation for the method used in solving the problem.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Prove that \(\displaystyle \tan 20^{\circ}+4 \sin 20^{\circ}=\sqrt{3}\).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Prove that \(\displaystyle \tan 20^{\circ}+4 \sin 20^{\circ}=\sqrt{3}\).

we have tan 60 - tan 20
=sin 60/cos 60 - sin 20/cos 20
= (sin 60 cos 20 - cos 60 sin 20)/ ( cos 60 cos 20)
= sin (60-20)/ (cos 60 cos 20)
= sin 40/ ( cos 60 cos 20)
= (2 sin 20 cos 20)/( cos 60 cos 20)
= 2 sin 20 / cos 60
= 2 sin 20/ (1/2) = 4 sin 20

hence 4 sin 20 + tan 20 = tan 60 = 3^(1/2)

kaliprasad said:
we have tan 60 - tan 20
=sin 60/cos 60 - sin 20/cos 20
= (sin 60 cos 20 - cos 60 sin 20)/ ( cos 60 cos 20)
= sin (60-20)/ (cos 60 cos 20)
= sin 40/ ( cos 60 cos 20)
= (2 sin 20 cos 20)/( cos 60 cos 20)
= 2 sin 20 / cos 60
= 2 sin 20/ (1/2) = 4 sin 20

hence 4 sin 20 + tan 20 = tan 60 = 3^(1/2)

Thanks for participating, kaliprasad and I like your method in cracking this problem so much!

anemone said:
Thanks for participating, kaliprasad and I like your method in cracking this problem so much!

Thanks anemone. As long as you ask questions whether I answer or not I shall not get Alzheimer's disease.

I cannot "prove" mathematical equations in the same way that I can prove scientific theories through experimentation and observation. However, I can provide evidence and reasoning to support the validity of this equation.

To begin, we can use the trigonometric identity \tan \theta = \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} to rewrite the left side of the equation as \frac{\sin 20^{\circ}}{\cos 20^{\circ}} + 4\sin 20^{\circ}. We can then factor out a common term of \sin 20^{\circ} to get \sin 20^{\circ} \left(\frac{1}{\cos 20^{\circ}} + 4\right).

Next, we can use the Pythagorean identity \cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta = 1 to solve for \cos 20^{\circ}. We get \cos 20^{\circ} = \sqrt{1 - \sin^2 20^{\circ}}. Substituting this into our equation, we get \sin 20^{\circ} \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \sin^2 20^{\circ}}} + 4\right).

We can then use the trigonometric identity \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1 to rewrite the expression inside the parentheses as \frac{1 + \sin^2 20^{\circ}}{\sqrt{1 - \sin^2 20^{\circ}}}.

Using the Pythagorean identity again, we can simplify this to \frac{1 + \sin^2 20^{\circ}}{\cos 20^{\circ}}. Substituting this back into our original equation, we get \sin 20^{\circ} \cdot \frac{1 + \sin^2 20^{\circ}}{\cos 20^{\circ}}.

We can then use the trigonometric identity \sin^2 \theta = 1 - \cos^2 \theta to rewrite this as \frac{\sin 20^{\circ} \cdot \cos^2 20^{\circ}}{\cos 20^{\circ}}.

Finally, we can cancel out the common term of \cos 20^{\circ} to get \sin 20^{\

FAQ: Can you prove \tan 20^{\circ}+4 \sin 20^{\circ}=\sqrt{3}?

What is the "Trigonometric Challenge"?

The "Trigonometric Challenge" is a math-based game or activity that involves solving trigonometry problems and puzzles.

What skills are needed to participate in the "Trigonometric Challenge"?

To participate in the "Trigonometric Challenge", you will need a solid understanding of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, as well as their relationships and applications in solving problems.

Who can participate in the "Trigonometric Challenge"?

Anyone with a basic knowledge of trigonometry can participate in the "Trigonometric Challenge", although it may be more challenging for those who are new to the subject. It is often used as a tool for students to practice and improve their trigonometry skills.

What are the benefits of participating in the "Trigonometric Challenge"?

Participating in the "Trigonometric Challenge" can improve your understanding and mastery of trigonometry concepts, as well as enhance your problem-solving skills. It can also be a fun way to engage with mathematics and challenge yourself.

Where can I find "Trigonometric Challenge" activities or games?

There are various online resources and websites that offer "Trigonometric Challenge" activities and games. You can also find them in math textbooks or workbooks specifically focused on trigonometry. Additionally, you can create your own "Trigonometric Challenge" by designing trigonometry problems or puzzles for yourself or others to solve.