Can you prove that P, Q, or L [Propositional Logics]

• Thread starter Shaitan00
  • Start date
In summary, the given premises do not provide enough information to prove or disprove that Cleopatra was powerful. However, they do suggest that she was both a queen and a leader.
Shaitan00

Homework Statement

I was given the following text:
If Cleopatra was powerful, then she was venerated but if she was not powerful, then she was not venerated and she was feared. If Cleopatra was either venerated or feared, then she was a queen. Cleopatra was a leader if she was a queen.

P = Cleopatra was Powerful
V = Cleopatra was Venerated
F = Cleopatra was Feared
Q = Cleopatra was a Queen
L = Cleopatra was a Leader

I am being asked if I can prove that Cleopatra was Powerful? A Leader? A Queen? (without using resolution-refutation).

Homework Equations

Propositional clauses:
1. P -> V
2. !P -> (!V and F)
3. (V or F) -> Q
4. Q -> L

CNF Format (shouldn’t be needed but incase):
1. ! P or V
2a. (P or !V)
2b. (P or F)
3a. (!V or Q)
3b. (!F or Q)
4. !Q or L

The Attempt at a Solution

From here I was able, with resolution-refutation, to determine that we cannot prove P but we should be able to prove Q and L… After that I am completely stuck on how to proceed as I am not allowed to prove the question with that approach – only to help me see what answers I should get…

I assume I must either use Forward-Chaining or Backward-Chaining to solve the problems – but no knowledge is given, only implications – so how is one supposed to use either? In all my readings usually we would be given something like F=True (knowledge) or something similar and the chaining would come down to that – but with only implications I can’t see how anything can be proven…

All my attempts (and there have been many) have only added to my confusion.
Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
You say "if Cleopatra was powerful then she was venerated" and "if Cleopatra was not powerful then whe was feared.

Okay, so whatever was the case about being powerful, Cleopatra was either venerated or feared.

But you also say "If Cleopatra was either venerated or feared, then she was a queen."

Okay, so it follows that Cleopatra was a queen but none of the others.

I think I get it - you can't prove that she was Powerful neither can you prove that she wasn't correct? I think that is where most of my confusion came from - thinking that I had to either prove she was or wasn't when I only need to state that I can't prove it either way...

Do you know if there is a way to prove this using the P,V,F,Q,L clauses somehow?

Also - from your deducation - if she is a Queen (as you stated) then doesn't that also imply that she was a Leader given clause #4 (If she is a Queen then she is a leader = Q->L)? So that would prove Q and L - but not P (which is what I expected). Does that sound right?

Yes, you are right- I missed that. You can prove, from what you are given that Cleopatra was a queen and a leader.

Is it accurate to say the following:

The case contradicting P is if Cleopatra is neither powerful, venerate or feared, then the premises don't imply that Cleaopatra is powerful

Thanks,

Related to Can you prove that P, Q, or L [Propositional Logics]

1. Can you explain what Propositional Logic is?

Propositional Logic is a branch of mathematical logic that deals with propositions or statements. It uses symbols to represent the logical relationships between these propositions, such as "and", "or", and "not". This allows us to analyze the truth values of these propositions and make logical deductions.

2. How do you prove a statement using Propositional Logic?

To prove a statement using Propositional Logic, we use a series of logical deductions and rules, such as modus ponens, modus tollens, and double negation. We start with a set of premises and use these rules to derive a conclusion. If the conclusion follows logically from the premises, then the statement is considered to be proven.

3. What is the difference between P, Q, and L in Propositional Logic?

P, Q, and L are simply symbols used to represent propositions in Propositional Logic. They can represent any statement or proposition, and their specific meaning or value is not important in this context. It is important to note that these symbols do not have any inherent meaning and can be interchanged with other symbols without changing the logical relationships between propositions.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using Propositional Logic?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Propositional Logic. It is a simple and straightforward system, but it is not able to handle more complex types of logic, such as modal logic or predicate logic. Additionally, it is limited in its ability to capture all aspects of natural language and may not accurately reflect the real world in all situations.

5. How is Propositional Logic used in real-world applications?

Propositional Logic is used in many real-world applications, especially in computer science and artificial intelligence. It is used to represent logical relationships between statements and to construct algorithms for decision making. It is also used in mathematics and philosophy to analyze and prove logical arguments and statements.