Can You Prove This Trigonometric Inequality?

In summary, "Trigonometric Challenge" is a mathematical game or activity that involves solving trigonometric problems or puzzles. It can be enjoyed by anyone with a basic understanding of trigonometry and can improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills. To create your own "Trigonometric Challenge", you can come up with different problems or use online resources to generate random questions. The game can have different levels of difficulty to cater to different skill levels.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Prove $\tan 6^{\circ}+\tan 24^{\circ}+\tan 42^{\circ}+\tan 86^{\circ}\gt 4$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Prove $\tan 6^{\circ}+\tan 24^{\circ}+\tan 42^{\circ}+\tan 86^{\circ}\gt 4$.

My solution:

First we know

$\tan x=x+\dfrac{x^3}{3}+\dfrac{2x^5}{15}+\cdots$$86^{\circ}=\dfrac{86^{\circ}\pi}{180^{\circ}}>1.5$ rad$42^{\circ}=\dfrac{42^{\circ}\pi}{180^{\circ}}>0.733$ rad

So we have

$\begin{align*}\tan 42^{\circ}+\tan 86^{\circ}&\gt (1.5+\dfrac{1.5^3}{3}+\dfrac{2(1.5)^5}{15}+\cdots)+(0.733+\cdots)\\&>3.6375+0.733\\&>4.3705\end{align*}$

Since $\tan 6^{\circ},\, \tan 24^{\circ}>0$ we can conclude by now $\tan 6^{\circ}+\tan 24^{\circ}+\tan 42^{\circ}+\tan 86^{\circ}\gt 4$ and we're hence done.

Last edited:
anemone said:
My solution:

First we know

$\tan x=x+\dfrac{x^3}{3}+\dfrac{2x^5}{15}+\cdots$$86^{\circ}=\dfrac{86^{\circ}\pi}{180^{\circ}}<1.5$ rad$42^{\circ}=\dfrac{42^{\circ}\pi}{180^{\circ}}<0.733$ rad

So we have

$\begin{align*}\tan 42^{\circ}+\tan 86^{\circ}&\gt (1.5+\dfrac{1.5^3}{3}+\dfrac{2(1.5)^5}{15}+\cdots)+(0.733+\cdots)\\&>3.6375+0.733\\&>4.3705\end{align*}$

Since $\tan 6^{\circ},\, \tan 24^{\circ}>0$ we can conclude by now $\tan 6^{\circ}+\tan 24^{\circ}+\tan 42^{\circ}+\tan 86^{\circ}\gt 4$ and we're hence done.

should be

$86^{\circ}=\dfrac{86^{\circ}\pi}{180^{\circ}}>1.5$ rad

Thanks kaliprasad for catching it, I just fixed the mistakes.:eek:

FAQ: Can You Prove This Trigonometric Inequality?

What is "Trigonometric Challenge"?

"Trigonometric Challenge" is a mathematical game or activity that involves solving trigonometric problems or puzzles. It may also refer to a competition or challenge that tests a person's knowledge and skills in trigonometry.

Who can participate in "Trigonometric Challenge"?

Anyone with a basic understanding of trigonometry can participate in "Trigonometric Challenge". It can be enjoyed by students, teachers, and anyone interested in math and problem-solving.

What are the benefits of "Trigonometric Challenge"?

"Trigonometric Challenge" can improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills. It can also help students understand and apply trigonometric concepts in a fun and engaging way.

How can I create my own "Trigonometric Challenge"?

To create your own "Trigonometric Challenge", you can start by coming up with different trigonometric problems or puzzles. You can also use online resources and tools to generate random trigonometric questions. You can then design a set of rules and instructions for the game or challenge.

Are there different levels of difficulty in "Trigonometric Challenge"?

Yes, "Trigonometric Challenge" can have different levels of difficulty depending on the complexity of the problems or puzzles. You can create multiple levels to cater to different skill levels and make the game more challenging for advanced players.

Back