Can You Simplify the Second Derivative Test Explanation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the second derivative test for identifying local minima in a function. It is stated that if the second derivative is positive and the first derivative is zero at a particular point, then that point is a local minimum. However, the conversation also explores cases where the second derivative requirement is removed, and provides examples of functions where the first derivative is zero but the second derivative is not positive, and vice versa.
Petrus
This is a problem from My book which I have hard understanding what they are asking for, I am pretty confused on the question would like to have help!

Second derivate test works as follows:
If f (c) = 0 and f'' (c)> 0 Then c is a local min point for function f (a) Show that c need not be a local minimum of f if one removes the requirement "f'' (c)> 0
(but retains the other requirements), by giving an example of such a function.
(B) Show that c may be a local minimum even if you take away the requirement "f'' (c)> 0 (but retains the other requirements), by giving an example of such a function.
(Because the derivative in an extreme point according to Fermat's statement above is always zero if it is defined there is no point to look at what happens if you take away the requirement "f '(c) = 0.")
regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
This is a problem from My book which I have hard understanding what they are asking for, I am pretty confused on the question would like to have help!

If $f (c) = 0$ and $f'' (c)> 0$ Then $c$ is a local min point for function $f$

I think you meant "If $f'(c)=0$ and $f''(c)>0$, then $c$ is a local min for $f$. The actual value of the function is irrelevant.

(a) Show that $c$ need not be a local minimum of $f$ if one removes the requirement $f'' (c)> 0$.

Can you think of a function where $f'(c)=0$ but $f''(c) \le 0$, and $c$ is not a local min?

(B) Show that $c$ may be a local minimum even if you take away the requirement $f'' (c)> 0$ (but retains the other requirements), by giving an example of such a function.
(Because the derivative in an extreme point according to Fermat's statement above is always zero if it is defined there is no point to look at what happens if you take away the requirement $f '(c) = 0.$)

regards,

So here, here you need a function where $f'(c)=0$, and $f''(c) \le 0$, and $c$ is a local min. Can you think of one?

Ackbach said:
I think you meant "If $f'(c)=0$ and $f''(c)>0$, then $c$ is a local min for $f$. The actual value of the function is irrelevant.
Can you think of a function where $f'(c)=0$ but $f''(c) \le 0$, and $c$ is not a local min?
So here, here you need a function where $f'(c)=0$, and $f''(c) \le 0$, and $c$ is a local min. Can you think of one?
(a) \(\displaystyle f(x)-x^2\)
(b) I got no clue of that one

Petrus said:

If f (c) = 0 and f'' (c)> 0 Then c is a local min point for function f (a) Show that c need not be a local minimum of f if one removes the requirement "f'' (c)> 0
(B) Show that c may be a local minimum even if you take away the requirement "f'' (c)> 0 (but retains the other requirements), by giving an example of such a function.
(Because the derivative in an extreme point according to Fermat's statement above is always zero if it is defined there is no point to look at what happens if you take away the requirement "f '(c) = 0.")
regards,

Try and think what the graphs would look like in each case. For the first, think of a function with a maximum but no minmum. For example $f(x)=-x^2$ and $c=0$. For B), what you are showing is that this condition is sufficient, but not neccesary. As I understand it, we still want $f'(c)=0.$ What about the constant function $f=c$. Then $f'=f''=0$ but $c$ is still a minumum

Last edited:

FAQ: Can You Simplify the Second Derivative Test Explanation?

1. What is the Second Derivative Test?

The Second Derivative Test is a mathematical tool used to determine the nature of a critical point (maximum or minimum) of a function. It involves finding the second derivative of the function and evaluating it at the critical point.

2. How do I know if a critical point is a maximum or minimum using the Second Derivative Test?

If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, then it is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative at the critical point, then it is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, then the test is inconclusive and further analysis is needed.

3. Can I use the Second Derivative Test for all functions?

No, the Second Derivative Test can only be used for twice differentiable functions. This means that the function must have a continuous first and second derivative.

4. Are there any other tests to determine the nature of a critical point?

Yes, there are other tests such as the First Derivative Test, which uses the first derivative of a function to determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum. There is also the Concavity Test, which uses the second derivative to determine the concavity of a function at a given point.

5. Can the Second Derivative Test be used for multivariable functions?

Yes, the Second Derivative Test can be extended to multivariable functions. However, the process is more complex and involves finding the Hessian matrix and analyzing its eigenvalues to determine the nature of the critical point.