Can you solve for delta d in jerk motion using this formula?

• Thread starter RobotGymnast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jerk Motion
In summary, when solving for delta d with regards to t, v1, a1, and constant J, and assuming constant jerk motion, the formula to use is s=v t + (1/2)a t^2 + (1/6)j t^3. However, if there is an acceleration in place before the jerk, vector addition must be used to determine the resultant acceleration. Integrating the equation for jerk motion twice gives the correct answer.
RobotGymnast
What formula would one use to solve for delta d with regards to t, v1, a1, and constant J?

Physics news on Phys.org
RobotGymnast said:
What formula would one use to solve for delta d with regards to t, v1, a1, and constant J?

Please define your symbols, and provide the context of your question. Are you familiar with the concept of an impulse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse

Kinematics. As in,
Code:
delta d = vt + (1/2)at[SUP]2[/SUP]

except assuming that jerk motion is constant, rather than acceleration.

Last edited:
Assuming that the mass is constant, if the force of the jerk J is constant, considering that F = ma so J = ma so a = J/m since J and m are constant A is constant.

So if your implying there is an acceleration in place before the jerk, you would use vector addition to figure out the resultant acceleration. And use your formula to solve for d.

*jerk motion (the derivative of acceleration). whoops.

Well, going from the equation using velocity [tex]s=v t[/tex], to the equation using acceleration [tex]v t + \frac{1}{2}a t^2[/tex] I would assume that the equation using jerk is [tex]s=v t + \frac{1}{2}a t^2 + \frac{1}{6}j t^3[/tex].

There's my guess.

That's what I got. What confuses me was that I also got a different answer by substituting physics equations into one another. I ended up getting ¼ Jt^3 rather than 1/6 Jt^3. But integrating the equation for jerk motion twice gives the answer you gave, which I think is correct.

Related to Can you solve for delta d in jerk motion using this formula?

1. What is the equation for jerk motion?

The equation for jerk motion is j = d3x/dt3, where j represents jerk, x represents position, and t represents time.

2. How is jerk defined in physics?

In physics, jerk is defined as the rate of change of acceleration with respect to time. It measures the rate at which acceleration is changing, or how quickly an object is accelerating or decelerating.

3. What are some common units for jerk?

The most common units for jerk are meters per second cubed (m/s3) in the SI system and feet per second cubed (ft/s3) in the imperial system. Other units include centimeters per second cubed (cm/s3) and inches per second cubed (in/s3).

4. How is jerk related to other kinematic quantities?

Jerk is the third derivative of position with respect to time. It is related to other kinematic quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement through differentiation and integration.

5. Can jerk be negative?

Yes, jerk can be negative. It simply indicates that an object is decelerating or slowing down. Positive jerk indicates acceleration or an increase in velocity, while negative jerk indicates deceleration or a decrease in velocity.