Can You Solve for m and n in x^2+mx+n=0 with Only One Possible Value for x?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, m and n are both integers and the only possible value for x is -3. The value of m and n is 6 and 9.
mathdad
My friend and I love to challenge each other from time to time when we come across a new question in a textbook or online. Here is the question he found. In the equation x^2+mx+n=0, m and n are integers. The only possible value for x is -3. What is the value of m and n?

I am thinking discriminant: b^2 - 4ac, where a = 1, b = m and c = n.

Correct approach?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
My friend and I love to challenge each other from time to time when we come across a new question in a textbook or online. Here is the question he found. In the equation x^2+mx+n=0, m and n are integers. The only possible value for x is -3. What is the value of m and n?

I am thinking discriminant: b^2 - 4ac, where a = 1, b = m and c = n.

Correct approach?

What I would do is from the given information, we know:

\(\displaystyle x^2+mx+n=(x+3)^2\)

Expand the RHS, and then equate coefficients to determine $m$ and $n$.

Now, you could use the discriminant...what must its value be? Can you determine another equation with $m$ and $n$ using the given root?

How about this solution?

Let x = -3

x +3 = 0

(x+3)^2 = x^2 + 6x + 9

m = 6; n = 9

Correct?

RTCNTC said:
How about this solution?

Let x = -3

x +3 = 0

(x+3)^2 = x^2 + 6x + 9

m = 6; n = 9

Correct?

Yep. :D

Let's look at using the discriminant as you initially posted.

If a quadratic has only one root, then its discriminant must be zero, and so we obtain:

\(\displaystyle m^2-4n=0\)

Using the given root $x=-3$, we also have:

\(\displaystyle 9-3m+n=0\)

If we multiply this by 4, we get:

\(\displaystyle 36-12m+4n=0\)

The first equation (regarding the discriminant) implies $4n=m^2$, and we have:

\(\displaystyle m^2-12m+36=(m-6)^2=0\implies m=6\implies n=9\)

Now, we could also reason that a quadratic having only one root, will have its axis of symmetry at that root. Recall the axis of symmetry for the general quadratic $ax^2+bx+c$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle x=-\frac{b}{2a}\)

So we would have:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{m}{2}=-3\implies m=6\)

And then using either the discriminant, or the value of the quadratic at the root, we can easily find $n=9$.

We could also write the quadratic in vertex form:

\(\displaystyle x^2+mx+n=\left(x^2+mx+\frac{m^2}{4}\right)+n-\frac{m^2}{4}=\left(x+\frac{m}{2}\right)^2+\frac{4n-m^2}{4}\)

We know the vertex must be at $(-3,0)$, and so this gives us:

\(\displaystyle \frac{m}{2}=3\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{4n-m^2}{4}=0\)

And from this we easily find:

\(\displaystyle (m,n)=(6,9)\)

Interesting question for sure.

Related to Can You Solve for m and n in x^2+mx+n=0 with Only One Possible Value for x?

1. How do you solve for m and n in x^2+mx+n=0 with only one possible value for x?

To solve for m and n in this equation, you can use the quadratic formula. This formula is: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. By plugging in the values for a, b, and c from the equation x^2+mx+n=0, you can solve for m and n.

2. Can you explain why there is only one possible value for x in this equation?

Yes, because this equation is a quadratic equation in the form of ax^2+bx+c=0, it will have two solutions for x. However, when there is only one solution for x, it means that the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is equal to 0. This indicates that the solutions for x are equal and there is only one possible value.

3. Is it possible for there to be no solution for m and n in this equation?

Yes, it is possible for there to be no solution for m and n in this equation. This occurs when the discriminant is negative (b^2-4ac<0), which means that the solutions for x would be imaginary numbers. In this case, there is no real solution for m and n.

4. What if the coefficient of x^2 is equal to 0? Can you still solve for m and n?

No, if the coefficient of x^2 is equal to 0, then the equation is no longer quadratic and cannot be solved using the quadratic formula. In this case, there are infinitely many solutions for m and n that would satisfy the equation x^2+mx+n=0.

5. Are there any other methods for solving for m and n in this equation?

Yes, there are other methods for solving quadratic equations. These include completing the square, factoring, and graphing. However, the quadratic formula is often the most efficient and reliable method for solving for m and n in this equation when there is only one possible value for x.