Can you solve these quadruple equations with real numbers?

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
In summary, quadruple equations with real numbers are mathematical expressions involving four variables and real number coefficients. They can be solved using methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The steps to solving them include identifying variables and coefficients, choosing a method, isolating one variable, solving for its value, substituting into the original equation, and checking the solution. These equations have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Hello, MHB Community! (Wave)

anemone has asked for me to fill in for her while she's away on holiday. :)

Here is this week's POTW:

Find all quadruples $(a,b,c,d)$ of real numbers that simultaneously satisfy the following equations:$$\left\{\begin{array}{rcl}a^3+c^3 & = & 2 \\ a^2b+c^2d & = & 0 \\ b^3+d^3 & = & 1 \\ ab^2+cd^2 & = & -6 \end{array}\right.$$
Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, MHB Community! (Wave)

It has been brought to my attention that the problem posted this week has been used in the past, found here:

https://mathhelpboards.com/potw-secondary-school-high-school-students-35/problem-week-277-aug-28th-2017-a-22196.html

I apologize for that...here is the solution with which I was provided:

Consider the polynomial $P(x)=(ax+b)^3+(cx+d)^3=\left(a^3+b^3\right)x^3+3\left(a^2b+c^2d\right)x^2+3\left(ab^2+cd^2\right)x+b^3+d^3$. By the conditions of the problem, $P(x)=2x^3-18x+1$. Clearly $P(0)>0,\,P(1)<0$ and $P(3)>0$. Thus $P$ has three distinct zeroes. But $P(x)=0$ implies $ax+b=-(cx+d)$ or $(a+c)x+b+d=0$. This equation has only one solution, unless $a=-c$ and $b=-d$. But since the conditions of the problem do not allow this, we infer that the system of equations in the problem has no solution.
So, I am going to post another problem, from my old physics homework.

A uniform rod of mass $M$ and length $d$ rotates in a horizontal plane about a fixed, vertical, frictionless pin through its center. Two small beads, each of mass $m$, are mounted on the rod such that they are able to slide without friction along its length. Initially the beads are held by catches st positions $x$ (where $x<d/2$) on each side of the center, at which time the system rotates with an angular speed $\omega$.

Suddenly the catches are released and the small beads slide outward along the rod. Find:

• (a) the angular speed of the system at the instant the beads reach the ends of the rod
  • (b) the angular speed of the rod after the beads fly off the ends

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

No one answered this weeks POTW...my solution follows:

(a) Apply conservation of angular momentum (subscripts of $R$ pertain to the rod, while those of $B$ pertain to the beads, and $\omega_i=\omega$):

Recall angular momentum $L$ is the product of the moment of interia $I$ and the angular speed $\omega$.

\(\displaystyle I_R\omega_i+2I_{B_i}\omega_i=I_R\omega_f+2I_{B_f}\omega_f\)

Solve for $\omega_f$:

\(\displaystyle \omega_f=\omega_i\frac{I_R+2I_{B_i}}{I_R+2I_{B_f}}\)

Now the moment of inertia for a point mass (which we can use for the small beads where no radius is given) of mass $m$ and distance from the axis of rotation $r$ is:

\(\displaystyle I=mr^2\)

And the moment of rotation for a rod of mass $m$ and length $L$ is:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{12}mL^2\)

And so, there results:

\(\displaystyle \omega_f=\omega_i\frac{\frac{1}{12}Md^2+2mx^2}{\frac{1}{12}Md^2+2m\left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^2}=\omega_i\frac{Md^2+24mx^2}{Md^2+6md^2}\)​

(b) We can equate the momentum of the system when the beads are at the ends of the rod to when the beads have flown off the rod as follows:

\(\displaystyle d^2\omega_f\left(\frac{1}{12}M+2m\right)=I_R\omega_R+2mv_B\)

Now, observing that \(\displaystyle v_B=\frac{d}{2}\omega_f\), and substituting for the moment of inertia for the rod, we have:

\(\displaystyle d^2\omega_f\left(\frac{1}{12}M+2m\right)=\frac{1}{12}Md^2\omega_R+md\omega_f\)

Solve for $\omega_R$:

\(\displaystyle \omega_R=\frac{\omega_f}{Md}\left(d\left(M+24m\right)-12m\right)\)​

FAQ: Can you solve these quadruple equations with real numbers?

1. Can you explain what quadruple equations with real numbers are?

Quadruple equations with real numbers are mathematical expressions that involve four variables and use real numbers as coefficients. They can be written in the form ax + by + cz + dw = k, where a, b, c, and d are real numbers, and x, y, z, and w are the variables.

2. Is it possible to solve quadruple equations with real numbers?

Yes, it is possible to solve quadruple equations with real numbers using various methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then solving for its value.

3. What are the steps to solve quadruple equations with real numbers?

The steps to solve quadruple equations with real numbers are:

1. Identify the variables and coefficients in the equation.
  2. Choose a method (substitution, elimination, or graphing) to solve the equation.
  3. Manipulate the equation to isolate one variable.
  4. Solve for the isolated variable.
  5. Substitute the value of the variable into the original equation to solve for the remaining variables.
  6. Check the solution by plugging it into the original equation.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a quadruple equation with real numbers?

Example: Solve the following quadruple equation using the substitution method:2x + 4y - 3z + 5w = 103x - 2y + 6z + 7w = 20-x + 5y + 2z - 4w = 55x + 8y - 4z + w = 30First, isolate x in the first equation:2x = 10 - 4y + 3z - 5wx = (10 - 4y + 3z - 5w)/2Substitute this value of x into the second equation:3(10 - 4y + 3z - 5w)/2 - 2y + 6z + 7w = 20Simplify the equation:15 - 6y + 9z - 15w - 2y + 6z + 7w = 40-8y + 15z - 8w = 25Repeat this process for the remaining equations and variables to obtain the values of y, z, and w. Then, substitute these values into the original equations to check the solution.

5. How can solving quadruple equations with real numbers be applied in real life?

Solving quadruple equations with real numbers can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, quadruple equations can be used to model systems with four variables, such as electrical circuits with multiple components. In physics, they can be used to analyze the motion of objects in four dimensions. In economics, they can be used to determine the optimal production levels for a company with four factors of production.

Back