Can you solve this system of simultaneous equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of equations with three unknowns x, y, and z and integer coefficients. The solution to the system depends on the values of the coefficients and whether the determinant of the coefficient matrix is zero. If the determinant is zero, there are infinitely many solutions, otherwise the only solution is (0, 0, 0). The conversation also mentions the need for basic understanding of linear algebra to fully comprehend the solutions.
physior
hello!

I am really wondering what is going on here

let's say we have 3 equations:
with x, y, z to be our unknowns and the rest regular integers

a*x+b*y-c*z=0
d*x-e*y+f*z=0
g*x+h*y+i*z=0

the signs of each integer may be positive or negative

is there a solution to this system of equations or the only solution is x, y, z = 0 ?

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It depends on the values of the coefficients.
If the 3 by 3 determinant of the coefficients is zero there are non-trivial solutions. See "homogeneous system of equation" for more details.

what you mean "If the 3 by 3 determinant of the coefficients is zero there are non-trivial solutions"?
all the three coefficients are normal integers, either positive or negative

physior said:
what you mean "If the 3 by 3 determinant of the coefficients is zero there are non-trivial solutions"?

You may need to learn a little linear algebra to understand solutions to these equations. Basically, if you arrange your integer coefficients into a 3x3 matrix and your variables into a vector (x, y, z), then you have matrix/vector equation.

If the matrix has an inverse, then the only solution is (0, 0, 0).

If, however, the matrix has no inverse, then you will have infinitely many solutions.

PS: A matrix has an inverse iff its determinant is non-zero.

physior said:
Yes, but the determinant of a matrix is a single special quantity, a single number, which is computed from the 9 individual coefficients a - i and their location in the matrix.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant

What you are calling coefficients (apparently x, y, and z) from the context of your reply, are actually the unknowns or the variables.

no, by coefficients I mean a,b,c,...

Then you have 9 coefficients for the system.
The matrix of the coefficients is
a b c
d e f
g h i

The determinant of this matrix tells you if there are other solutions than the trivial (0,0,0).
See the link given above by SteamKing.

The idea is that if the equations are independent there is no simultaneous solution (but zero).

Last edited:
physior said:
no, by coefficients I mean a,b,c,...
The there's nine of them in the three equations listed in the OP.

Related to Can you solve this system of simultaneous equations?

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables, and the goal is to find the values of those variables that satisfy all of the equations at the same time.

2. Why are simultaneous equations important?

Simultaneous equations are important because they are used to model real-world situations and solve problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you solve simultaneous equations?

There are several methods to solve simultaneous equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variable.

4. What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent simultaneous equations?

Consistent simultaneous equations have a solution, which means the equations intersect at a single point. Inconsistent simultaneous equations have no solution, which means the equations do not intersect at any point.

5. Can you have more than two equations in a system of simultaneous equations?

Yes, a system of simultaneous equations can have any number of equations, but the number of equations must be equal to the number of variables in order to have a unique solution.