Can You Spot the Incorrect True or False Answers on Wave Physics?

• Thread starter jos93344
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses true or false answers regarding various concepts in physics such as reflection, virtual image, light waves, diffraction, refraction, and the formation of images in cameras. The speaker is unsure about their answers and is seeking help to clarify their understanding.
jos93344
All of these questions are true or false answers but, i am unsure if i am correct in my answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

1. When a wave reaches a boundary between two media and some or all of the wave bounces back into the first medium, this is known as reflection.

2. Your eye cannot ordinarily tell the difference between an object and its virtual image.

3. When light waves move from one medium into a medium in which they travel more slowly, the light wave is bent away from the normal.

4. The separation of light into colors arranged according to their frequency is called diffraction.

5. A camera forms a virtual image on film.

6. The layer of tissue at the back of the eye is the iris.

7. In a far-sighted eye, light focuses in front of the retina.

8. The bending of a wave around an obstruction is called refraction.

2. The attempt at a solution

1. T
2. F
3. T
4. F
5. T
6. F
7. T
8. T

Physics news on Phys.org
jos93344 said:
All of these questions are true or false answers but, i am unsure if i am correct in my answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

1. When a wave reaches a boundary between two media and some or all of the wave bounces back into the first medium, this is known as reflection.

2. Your eye cannot ordinarily tell the difference between an object and its virtual image.

3. When light waves move from one medium into a medium in which they travel more slowly, the light wave is bent away from the normal.

4. The separation of light into colors arranged according to their frequency is called diffraction.

5. A camera forms a virtual image on film.

6. The layer of tissue at the back of the eye is the iris.

7. In a far-sighted eye, light focuses in front of the retina.

8. The bending of a wave around an obstruction is called refraction.

2. The attempt at a solution

1. T
2. F
3. T
4. F
5. T
6. F
7. T
8. T

Several of your answers above are wrong. Why don't you check the following terms on Wikipedia:

Refraction
Diffraction
Dispersion

Finally, in an old film style camera the image is made by a chemical reaction. What is the difference between a real and a virtual image? Which one can induce a chemical reaction?

AEM said:
Several of your answers above are wrong. Why don't you check the following terms on Wikipedia:

Refraction
Diffraction
Dispersion

Finally, in an old film style camera the image is made by a chemical reaction. What is the difference between a real and a virtual image? Which one can induce a chemical reaction?

Ok thanks for the help. Ill follow your advice and look up those terms with wiki.

FAQ: Can You Spot the Incorrect True or False Answers on Wave Physics?

What is the meaning of "True or False" in homework assignments?

The phrase "True or False" is used to indicate that the statement following it can be either true or false. In homework assignments, it is typically used to test a student's understanding of a concept or fact.

Why do homework assignments often include "True or False" questions?

"True or False" questions are commonly used in homework assignments because they can quickly assess a student's understanding of a topic. These types of questions also allow for quick grading, making them useful for large class sizes.

How should I approach a "True or False" question in a homework assignment?

When answering a "True or False" question, it is important to carefully read the statement and determine if it is true or false. If you are unsure, you can try to recall any relevant information or do further research before selecting your answer.

Are "True or False" questions considered easy or difficult in homework assignments?

The difficulty of "True or False" questions can vary depending on the complexity of the statement and the level of understanding required to answer it correctly. Some may be easier to answer, while others may require more critical thinking and understanding of the topic.

Can I use process of elimination to answer "True or False" questions in a homework assignment?

Yes, process of elimination can be a useful strategy for answering "True or False" questions. By eliminating options that are clearly false, it can help narrow down the choices and increase the chances of selecting the correct answer.