Canadian Medical Physics Schools/Programs?

In summary, the speaker is looking at various graduate programs for medical physics and is seeking first-hand insights on the facilities, access to clinical work and equipment, reputation, funding, professors, and competitiveness of admissions. They are open to hearing about any of the listed programs from faculty or current graduate students.
Godric
So I am starting my applications for grad school in the Fall of 2016, and I am pretty much settled on medical physics being my first choice after much debating and consideration. So far I am looking at the following programs:

-Radiation Oncology Physics at University of Calgary
-Medical Physics at University of Victoria
-Medical Biophysics at Western U
-Medical Physics at Carleton

Browsing their websites is one thing, but I'd like to hear if anyone has first hand insight? What are their facilities like? Is there access to clinical work and equipment? Are they respected? How is the funding? Good professors? How competitive is admissions? Anything you could tell me about one of the programs would be great!

Thanks in advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are all good programs. You might want to try contacting either faculty or current graduate students to get their input directly.

FAQ: Canadian Medical Physics Schools/Programs?

1. What is medical physics and what do Canadian medical physics schools/programs offer?

Medical physics is a branch of applied physics that focuses on the use of physics principles in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Canadian medical physics schools/programs offer education and training in areas such as radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, nuclear medicine, and health physics.

2. What are the entry requirements for Canadian medical physics schools/programs?

The specific entry requirements may vary among different schools/programs, but generally, a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field is required. Some schools may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

3. How long does it take to complete a medical physics program in Canada?

The length of the program may vary depending on the level of study and the specific school/program. A master's degree in medical physics typically takes 2-3 years to complete, while a doctoral degree may take 4-6 years. Postdoctoral fellowships may also be available for those who wish to further their training.

4. Are Canadian medical physics programs accredited?

Yes, most Canadian medical physics programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP). This accreditation ensures that the program meets high standards of education and training in medical physics.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of Canadian medical physics programs?

Graduates of Canadian medical physics programs can work in various healthcare settings, including hospitals, cancer centers, and research institutions. They may also pursue careers in industry or academia. Some possible job titles include medical physicist, radiation safety officer, and research scientist.