Canned cheeseburgers and food addiction

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary: I'm going to eat the whole thing in one sitting.Kessler's argument is that the amount of fat, salt, and sugar in our food has become so commonplace that it's no wonder we're seeing an increase in obesity and other health problems. He argues that the desirability of these foods is to blame, as companies are learning to make their products more addictive in order to appeal to a wider audience. This is a problem in and of itself, as it's leading to a population that's more overweight and prone to health problems.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In light of a report on The NewsHour tonight, on PBS, this incidental story about canned cheeseburgers seemed like a nice opening.

http://www.gizmag.com/pictures/lrg_img//8713_27010831227.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/the-canned-cheeseburger--fast-food-in-the-wilderness/8713/

In his book, The End of Overeating, Dr. David Kessler explores his findings about junk food and why we eat it. He argues that for many people, fat, salt, and sugar activate the brain in such a way that they are being programmed for addiction. As the retail junk/fast food companies learn to maximize the desirability of their products, they are also maximizing the addictiveness of their products.

A full report should be available soon. For now there is only an audio feed.
http://newshour-tc.pbs.org/newshour/rss/media/2009/06/16/20090616_overeating.mp3

News page
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Canned cheeseburger?

Ok I think the line has been crossed, time for the Earth to be engulfed by the Sun.

Ivan Seeking said:
In light of a report on The NewsHour tonight, on PBS, this incidental story about canned cheeseburgers seemed like a nice opening.

http://www.gizmag.com/pictures/lrg_img//8713_27010831227.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/the-canned-cheeseburger--fast-food-in-the-wilderness/8713/

In his book, The End of Overeating, Dr. David Kessler explores his findings about junk food and why we eat it. He argues that for many people, fat, salt, and sugar activate the brain in such a way that they are being programmed for addiction. As the retail junk/fast food companies learn to maximize the desirability of their products, they are also maximizing the addictiveness of their products.

That's a give. What are the substances that these companies secret into their food that makes them so conducive to a population sporting 20 exra pounds and muffin tops?

I've been asking for a couple years now, thinking it must be a concoction of horrid chemical
additives hords of chemical engineers and focus groups have discovered over the decades that they are under no obligation to report. Only within the last week have I stumbled across what I surmise is the answer.

But I want to hear it from someone else first.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Kessler, the magic ingredients are salt, fat, and sugar. It is an issue of proportion. We all know that too much of these ingredients is bad, but he is arguing that the effect of eating too much of these is fundamental - neurological.

Ivan Seeking said:
It is an issue of proportion.

I think that's the big issue. People have lost all sense of proportion or portions. Portions that would have fed a family of 4 when I was a kid are now being served up as single-servings. I don't know that I would call the overeating an addiction, per se, though. For some it might be, if they get cravings soon after just having a meal. But I think for most it's more that they just don't get the signal to stop when they've had a reasonable portion size and as long as there's more food in front of them, will continue eating. That's a bit different than forming a chemical dependency where you actively seek more and more and develop tolerance to the positive effects so need more to get the same pleasure.

If I understood his argument and findings correctly, he is saying that for some people, it is like forming a chemical dependency. He struggles with this himself and wanted to understand why. But he seems to apply it in a more general sense as well - perhaps to a far lesser degree than in cases like his.

Maybe for some. I'd suspect those some might be the ones who are using food for non-nutritive purposes, such as comfort eating when depressed.

Though, considering that you can be both obese and nutrient-deficient at the same time due to eating a lot of high calorie foods that lack a proper balance of vitamins, I wonder could it instead just be that they are still craving the missing nutrients, and overeat because their food choices just aren't providing them?

Just think of what it actually means to have a McDonalds near you. It means that at any instant during the day, you can decide you want to get a very large amount of calories. All that you need is to pay a few dollars and you have more than enough food. A few dollars is absolutely nothing if you're middle class in the US. Food on demand, what a concept! In previous times, in order to get the same amount of calories you would need to have hours of solid work. Now a wave of the hand gets you whatever you need.

The idea of having an effectively unlimited amount of food at your disposal is very new.

One thing that's a bit messed up in society is that it's "manly" to eat huge portions, yet we look down upon having a gut. People give me looks when I order a normal portion of food as opposed to something obscenely gigantic. Friends every now and then say things like "are you sure that's enough food?", uhh yeah thanks, I know what I'm eating. Then afterward they say things such as "oh man I shouldn't have eaten so much". Oh really??

EDIT: I should add that I really am eating enough. I'm 5'8" and weigh 158 or so, I'm obviously not anorexic by any means.

Last edited:
That's true. Some people look at me all weird if I'm not stuffing my face with food at an all you can eat.

I eat a lot of food though. All my food is filled with fat and salt mainly.

Moonie I hope you will correct me if I am wrong here.

I have heard that it is supposed humans were scavengers, that food sources were relatively scarce, and so the foods most densely packed with the nutrients needed for survival were preferred since there was no telling how much food you might find and how long it would be before you might find more. This supposedly explains why humans developed a preference and pleasurable response to fatty foods. We need salts to remain hydrated (I'm not sure if there are other important reasons for salt in our diet) and I am not sure of any benefit of sugars but fruits and berries which usually contain a lot of sugar are also dense in vitamins among other things.

An interesting aside: Check out the bio on Kessler. Apparently he was running a hospital while teaching law!

David Aaron Kessler (born May 13, 1951 in New York, New York) is an American pediatrician, lawyer, author, and administrator (both academic and governmental). He was the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) from November 8, 1990 to February 28, 1997...

After graduating from Amherst College in 1973, Kessler studied medicine at Harvard University, graduating with an M.D. degree in 1979, and law at the University of Chicago, graduating with a J.D. in 1978.[1] While serving his residency in pediatrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, he worked as a consultant to Republican Senator Orrin Hatch from Utah, particularly on issues relating to the safety of food additives, and on the regulation of cigarettes and tobacco. From 1984-1990, Kessler simultaneously ran a 431-bed teaching hospital in New York City and taught at the Columbia Law School and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Aaron_Kessler

Related to Canned cheeseburgers and food addiction

1. What are canned cheeseburgers?

Canned cheeseburgers are ready-to-eat meals that contain all the components of a traditional cheeseburger, including a bun, patty, cheese, and condiments. They are pre-cooked and sealed in a can for convenience and long shelf life.

2. Are canned cheeseburgers unhealthy?

Canned cheeseburgers are highly processed and contain high levels of sodium, preservatives, and other additives. They should not be consumed as a regular part of a healthy diet. However, they can be a convenient option for emergency situations or occasional indulgence.

3. Can someone become addicted to canned cheeseburgers?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that people can become addicted to canned cheeseburgers specifically. However, processed foods, including canned cheeseburgers, can be highly palatable and may trigger overeating in some individuals. This can lead to unhealthy eating habits and potential weight gain.

4. How can someone break a food addiction to canned cheeseburgers?

If someone feels they have a problematic relationship with canned cheeseburgers or other processed foods, seeking support from a healthcare professional or registered dietitian can be beneficial. They can provide personalized strategies for breaking unhealthy eating habits and creating a balanced and nourishing diet.

5. Can canned cheeseburgers be part of a healthy diet?

Canned cheeseburgers are not considered a healthy food choice due to their high levels of sodium, preservatives, and additives. However, they can be part of a well-balanced diet if consumed in moderation and as part of an overall healthy eating pattern that includes whole, unprocessed foods.

Back