Cannon Ball Chain Shot Impulse Problem

We can use the final velocities we calculated earlier to determine the final positions of each cannon ball after time t.In summary, to determine the locations of the two cannon balls after a certain amount of time t, we need to calculate the total impulse applied to the system, use it to determine the final velocities of each cannon ball, and then use those velocities to calculate the final positions of each cannon ball after time t. I hope this helps in solving your problem!
sirzerp

Homework Statement

Image you have one of the old fashion chain shots from the 1800’s where they had two cannon balls connected by a chain. Now let’s say you wish to try to fire the chain shot from two cannons. The synchronized cannon firing nearly works, but one cannon ball receives a different impulse acceleration than the other cannon ball. Assume the chain is always tight and the cannons balls are always a constant distance away from each other.

The starting velocity is zero, they are at rest. Assume we know the mass and starting impulse accelerations exactly. Assume the barrel length does not effect the system, that the cannon balls are free to move in any direction after the starting impulse as long as they stay one unit away (fixed body) from each other.

Given the rest locations of p1,p2 and impulse accelerations a1,a2, and mass of m1,m2.

At what locations is p1 and p2 after time t?

Homework Equations

F=mA

The Attempt at a Solution

I am writing a computer program and need to program the general solution to the above problem. It is a self posed problem and not for class credit. Trying to avoid spending a day or two with Goldstein. :smile:

Anyone know the general solution to this dual mass impulse problem?

Attachments

• dipole problem.PNG
    dipole problem.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I am always interested in exploring new problems and finding solutions. In this case, the problem you have presented is quite interesting and challenging. After some thought and calculations, I believe I have found a general solution to the dual mass impulse problem you have described.

Firstly, we need to understand the concept of impulse and its relation to momentum. Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object, and it is equal to the force applied multiplied by the time it is applied for. In this case, we have two cannon balls connected by a chain, so the impulse applied to one ball will also be applied to the other, but in opposite directions.

Let's denote the impulse applied to the first cannon ball as I1 and the impulse applied to the second cannon ball as I2. Since the cannon balls are connected by a chain, the total impulse applied to the system will be the sum of these two impulses, which we can write as I = I1 + I2.

Now, using the equation F = mA, we can express the impulse applied to each cannon ball in terms of their mass and acceleration. For the first cannon ball, we have I1 = m1 * a1, and for the second cannon ball, we have I2 = m2 * a2.

Since we know the starting impulse accelerations and the mass of each cannon ball, we can calculate the total impulse applied to the system. This will give us the total change in momentum of the system, which we can then use to determine the final velocities of each cannon ball.

To do this, we can use the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. Since the cannon balls are initially at rest, their initial momentum will be zero. Therefore, the final momentum of the system will be equal to the total impulse applied, which we calculated earlier.

Once we have the final momentum, we can use it to calculate the final velocities of each cannon ball. This can be done using the equation p = mv, where p is the final momentum, m is the mass, and v is the final velocity. We can solve this equation for v and substitute in the values for the final momentum and the mass of each cannon ball.

The final step is to determine the positions of each cannon ball after a certain amount of time, t. This can be done using the equation x = vt, where x

Related to Cannon Ball Chain Shot Impulse Problem

1. What is a cannon ball chain shot impulse problem?

A cannon ball chain shot impulse problem is a physics problem that involves the motion and interaction of two or more cannon balls connected by a chain or rope. The goal is to determine the impulse, or change in momentum, of the system after the collision.

2. What factors affect the impulse in a cannon ball chain shot problem?

The impulse in a cannon ball chain shot problem is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of each cannon ball, the length and weight of the chain, and the angle at which the balls are launched.

3. How is the impulse calculated in a cannon ball chain shot problem?

The impulse in a cannon ball chain shot problem can be calculated using the formula Impulse = Mass x Change in Velocity. This formula takes into account the change in velocity of the system after the collision.

4. What are some real-world applications of cannon ball chain shot impulse problems?

Cannon ball chain shot impulse problems have real-world applications in fields such as artillery and ballistics. Understanding how the impulse of a chain shot affects its trajectory and impact can help improve accuracy and effectiveness in warfare and military operations.

5. How can cannon ball chain shot impulse problems be solved?

Cannon ball chain shot impulse problems can be solved using equations and principles from classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of momentum. They can also be solved using computer simulations and experiments.