Cannonball Launch Homework: Find Range & Vy

• Thread starter warrior2014
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Launch
In summary: So the correct answer is 108 m for part a.For part b, the cannonball is going to hit the ground with the same speed it had when it was launched: 24.5 m/s. But the direction will be different. It will be at an angle of -50 degrees with respect to the horizontal. So the y-component of the velocity just before it lands is -24.5 sin 50 = -18.85 m/s. The minus sign indicates that the velocity is downward. So the correct answer for part b is -18.85 m/s. In summary, the initial horizontal velocity of the cannonball is 20.57 m/s and its initial vertical velocity is
warrior2014

Homework Statement

A cannonball is catapulted toward a castle. The cannonball's velocity when it leaves the catapult is 32 m/s at an angle of 50° with respect to the horizontal and the cannonball is 7.0 m above the ground at this time.

a) Assuming the cannonball makes it over the castle walls and lands back down on the ground, at what horizontal distance from its release point will it land?

b)What is the y-component of the cannonball's velocity just before it lands? The y-axis points up.

For this question, I did Vy=32sin50=24.5 (but this was also incorrect)

Homework Equations

R= lvl^2/9 * (sin2theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I used the equation for Range and got 102.9m but it was incorrect.

For part b, I did Vy=32sin50=24.5 (but this was also incorrect)

Physics news on Phys.org
The determination of the initial vertical velocity of 24.5 m/s is correct. Based on this, the vertical position at any time t is given by $$s=7.0 +24.5t-4.9t^2$$ The time for the cannonball to hit the ground would be the time at which s = 0. Solving the quadratic equation yields t = 5.27 sec. The horizontal velocity at time zero is 32 cos 50 = 20.57 m/s. So the range is 20.57 x 5.27 = 108 m.

Related to Cannonball Launch Homework: Find Range & Vy

1. What is the purpose of the Cannonball Launch homework?

The purpose of the Cannonball Launch homework is to practice using the equations for projectile motion to calculate the range and initial vertical velocity of a cannonball launch.

2. What equations are needed to solve the Cannonball Launch homework?

The equations needed are the range equation (R = Vx * t), the vertical velocity equation (Vy = V0y + gt), and the initial vertical velocity equation (V0y = V0 * sin(theta)).

3. How do I find the range for the Cannonball Launch homework?

To find the range, you will need to calculate the horizontal velocity (Vx = V0 * cos(theta)) and then use the range equation (R = Vx * t). Plug in the known values and solve for t. Then, use this time value to calculate the range.

4. How do I find the initial vertical velocity for the Cannonball Launch homework?

To find the initial vertical velocity, you will need to use the vertical velocity equation (Vy = V0y + gt). Plug in the known values for Vy, g, and t, and then solve for V0y.

5. Can I use any units for the Cannonball Launch homework?

Yes, as long as you are consistent with your units throughout the calculations, you can use any units. However, it is recommended to use standard units such as meters for distance and seconds for time.