Cannot find the formula for tension

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a penguin (m2) based on given information of the masses of three other penguins and the tension in two cords. The formula for tension is not provided and there is confusion about the concept of tension. The solution is to use the formula F = m*a to find the force exerted by the rope on a bucket of water. There is also a question about whether to find the normal force or the force of gravity in order to calculate the force exerted by the rope.
dhago07
Figure 5-48 shows four penguins that are being playfully pulled along very slippery (frictionless) ice by a curator. The masses of three penguins and the tension in two of the cords are m1 = 12 kg, m3 = 16 kg, m4 = 23 kg, T2 = 112 N, and T4 = 212 N. Find the penguin mass m2 that is not given.
Image :- http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c05/fig05_46.gif

I really cannot find the formula for tension at all and also i don't understand the tension concept at all. So please can somebody help me please.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Tension is just Force.

Use F = m*a

Hello everyone,

I'm having a doubt with my Physics homework. I need somebody's help!

To find the force exerted by the rope on a bucket of water that is raised from a well I have to find the normal force (m*A upward accelaration of the bucket) and that is the one or I should find the force of gravity (m*G) and substracted from the normal force and that is the force exerted by the rope?

Thankss

Related to Cannot find the formula for tension

1. What is tension and why is it important?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled in opposite directions. It is important because it helps us understand how objects behave under different forces and can be used to calculate the stability and strength of structures.

2. How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can also be represented as a force per unit area, known as stress.

3. What factors affect tension?

The magnitude of tension is influenced by several factors, including the mass and weight of the object, the angle and direction of the applied force, and the material properties of the object.

4. Can tension be both positive and negative?

Yes, tension can be both positive and negative. Positive tension occurs when an object is being pulled in opposite directions, while negative tension occurs when an object is being compressed or squeezed.

5. How can I calculate tension if I cannot find the formula?

If you are unable to find a specific formula for tension, there are several alternative methods for calculating tension. These include using equations for force and acceleration, using trigonometric functions to calculate the components of tension, or using free body diagrams and the principles of equilibrium.

Back